Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:41 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,875,424 times

Advertisements

I don't think this issue deserves the amount of attention, it gets right now. But it for sure would not have been ok to let her get away with what she said. remaining silent means we are ok with it. and thank goodness we are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 09:27 PM

ncn, sorry, I can't private message you for some reason. what do you mean by 'who made you the speech police' ? not sure what's wrong about having an opinion about Paula deens faux pass ?

Old 06-27-2013, 09:55 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,598,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
I don't think this issue deserves the amount of attention, it gets right now. But it for sure would not have been ok to let her get away with what she said. remaining silent means we are ok with it. and thank goodness we are not.
Are you telling us that every time someone says something that you think is inappropriate you make sure they don't get away with it? You must be really busy or you think most things are all right. I consider someone calling another person "guys" which means a grotesque murderer to be much worse than anything she has said. I have had to learn to live with it because most people spouting out the word "guys" do not even know what it means. I find the word disgusting, because it was my ancestors that Guy Fawkes was trying to murder. As a matter of fact he set his life toward murdering all Protestants. Do I want to be called the same as someone that did that when I am a Protestant? You better believe I don't. I just don't answer when someone addresses me in that way.

Any time I have said anything about that on the threads I get someone who thinks it is their job to tell me that word should not offend me. That is not their decision. I should be the one deciding how I am addressed and when I don't want to be called something; it should be respected. I am not a guy, I have never been a guy and I will never be a guy and I don't want to be called a guy. And I am not going to stay around someone who uses that word for very long if I can help it. Needless to say, I don't watch Rachel Ray. I don't think she knows any other words.

If someone had stuck a gun in my face and robbed me, I might have said something worse. I think that would have made me very mad. But as for the N-word, times have changed. It used to be the norm. I believe the sign on the Blue Ridge Parkway pointing to Mount Jefferson used to have that word on it. This mountain was part of the Underground Railroad and was commonly called the N-word Mountain for that reason. I don't think anybody wanted to be disrespectful to anybody by calling it that. Most people in the mountains had no slaves and they had sympathy for their cause. When you find that what you say hurts another person you just stop saying it.

I hear words on TV every day that to me are offensive, but my way of dealing with it is to just not be guilty of saying those words myself. Then I change the channel and don't watch that program anymore. Sometimes example works better than hitting someone over the head with it. I think Paula Deen for some reason has been made a scapegoat and like another poster, I don't watch her so much because unfortunately I am not that into cooking; but I have never found her to be a mean-spirited person. The way she is being treated is mean-spirited. Something bad is going on in this country and it needs to stop. There are a lot of people who need their mouths washed out with soap that no one seems to be finding fault with. Hateful attacks that take away a persons livelihood is over the top in my opinion. Several people have had this happen to them while others are saying worse things and get invited to the White House.

I think the way she is being treated amounts to bullying.

Last edited by NCN; 06-27-2013 at 10:28 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 09:58 PM

is it possible that you are over reacting ? just a little ?

Old 06-27-2013, 10:32 PM
NCN

We can't all be perfect like you. LOL As Paula Deen said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

I just don't like to see someone bullied.

This woman lost business over something she said years ago after she had been robbed and you think I could be over-reacting?

I have seen this woman many times and she likes to joke around and poke fun at things; but I have never witnessed any prejudice or hatred in her ever. Some people just look for reasons to find fault with people from the South. I think many in America have lost their sense of humor. Where is all this anger and hatred coming from?

Last edited by NCN; 06-27-2013 at 10:46 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 10:35 PM

apparently she used the 'n' word. in a public interview. not 30 years ago, but last month.
I don't know why you are so outraged and jumped on my simple and single sentence (speaking of the tolerance YOU just mentioned ....).

I had to correct my dad several times, when he used a racist word related to the n-word (it's a german word, not the same, but similar), so far NEVER anyone during my 12 years here in the US has used the N-word in a conversation with me and if, yes, I would correct him.
I corrected my son, when he thought, the word 'retard' would be funny. or 'that looks so gay'. I don't let them get away with such things, no matter if it's family or friends. and I expect them to correct me, if I would ever say something like this. without thinking and reflection.

Now Mrs Deen is a celebrity and a role model for many. she sends messages out to her fans every day and many, many adore her. using racist words in a public interview should not happen, of course. I am sure, she regrets it and does not get over it easily.
someone told her, she apologized to the public (apparently - did not watch it, never watched her show either, don't even know how her voice sounds like). and that's ok with me and that's what I expected from both sides.

I would be shocked if we would just go on in life like nothing has happened and simply don't react. so there was a public reaction. this whole fuzz weeks later now is as hateful. when I hear that walmart won't sell her stuff anymore, I can only laugh. walmart, who actually still practices modern slavery.
if this would have happened to a teacher, a principal, any other person who speaks in front of bigger crowds ... depending on where he/she would have said it, the job would be gone.

and so I think it's necessary to speak up and tell Mrs. Deen, it is not appropriate to ask for waiters "who look like slaves" and call them the N-word. and that there was a need for a public apology. case closed. not so for others apparently - until the next celebrity trips over another stone ... in germany it's called a 'summer hole'. everyone is on vacation, nothing really big is happening, so lets all jump on the train and discuss xxx to death.

PS chick-fil-a's CEO said, yesterday was a sad day for the country (the DOMA decision). to ME this is hateful, not necessary and I won't go there anymore (well, did not go there before anyway lol). and if I would have watched Paula Deen, sentences like that I just can't forgive easily and it shows the whole person in a totally different light. so I would maybe stop watching her show as well. not ok with you ? fine with me.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We can't all be perfect like you. LOL As Paula Deen said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

I just don't like to see someone bullied.
Can you tell me where I described myself as perfect ? Honestly, there seems to be an issue on your side. one thing for sure - I am not a racist and haters, bigots and racists make me mad.
So please ...live and let live.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:51 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,445,327 times
First as the OP lets keep thread civil please.
Paula did not use the word last month. She stated under oath she used the word during the trial for her brother's restaurant that is being sued for sexual harassment; That occurred last month on May 17th.

I didnt even know Paula had a restaurant chained out in Cherokee.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:07 PM
NCN

I had no idea she had so many things going on either. It was my understanding that she testified that she had used the word more than 20 years ago when she was telling her husband about being robbed by a black man. Basically she told the truth and is being punished for it. She was under oath and was asked a question is how the program I saw stated it. She was specifically asked if she had ever used the N-word.

Paula Deen is one of the most loving, caring, people I have ever seen on TV. Whoever it is that was reporting this has really done a job on her. Her programs have always been very tasteful and fun. I don't watch her for the cooking as much as I watch her for the fun she has doing it. If she is not on TV it will be our loss, not hers.

Last edited by NCN; 06-27-2013 at 11:17 PM..

Old 06-28-2013, 06:06 AM

729 posts, read 1,503,068 times
What in Hades is going on with City Data lately? We have always had arguments but lately there seems to be a lot of newcommers that like to act like trolls, or in this case, get very up in arms about nothing. "Guys"? Where the heck was that even brought up? Talk about seeing slurs where there is none. I think pot has met kettle more than once this week. As far as Paula Deen, no one on this thread was going out for blood. Pretty much the consensus was that she said something wrong but the reaction is probably overblown (not unfounded, just overblown).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina