U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 07:31 AM

83 posts, read 312,937 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating a relocation to NC (Asheville area) from Fl and we need to visit the area very soon. Our current lease ends in March and we need to decide if we are staying here for another year or moving out of state. We won't have the finances or leisure to schedule a trip any sooner than the beginning of the year since I am having a baby in the next month or so.

So my plan is an inexpensive road/camping trip to the area, probably tent camping at a KOA. We have camped in 40 degree weather here in Fl and we do enjoy roughing it but we are native Floridians after all. So I'm wondering when might be the best time to come up for a visit next year and camp. We have zero experience driving in snow. Heck, I've never even seen snow before (except for a few flurries). I prefer to do it early in the year and yet I know this is probably the coldest weather. I just need to start getting the ball rolling soon. I guess I just want to know what is the weather like in the early months of the year and does it seem feasible at all to tent camp during these months without being miserable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2006, 07:48 AM

884 posts, read 2,203,898 times
It's probably feasible, but it would be hard to plan for. Average January highs here in Asheville are in the middle 40s, lows in like the upper 20s. You will get rogue weekends in the 60s maybe even approaching 70 but you couldn't plan on that of course. Even today, in mid October, it is 39 degrees here right now at nearly 10:00 AM, with a wind chill around 30. I think if you were to wait until late March or April you might have something more to count on weather wise, although I still remember the 5 inches of snow dumped on us in April about 3 years ago. Anywhere west or north of Asheville closer to the Tennessee border you can also count on more snow then we get here in Asheville itself.

Anyway, it's probably not something you can or should count on, at least until April. If you can schedule a last minute camping trip and watch the forecast, you may get that warm weekend in which it would work.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:10 AM

45,264 posts, read 84,606,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewytch View Post
We are contemplating a relocation to NC (Asheville area) from Fl and we need to visit the area very soon. Our current lease ends in March and we need to decide if we are staying here for another year or moving out of state. We won't have the finances or leisure to schedule a trip any sooner than the beginning of the year since I am having a baby in the next month or so.

So my plan is an inexpensive road/camping trip to the area, probably tent camping at a KOA. We have camped in 40 degree weather here in Fl and we do enjoy roughing it but we are native Floridians after all. So I'm wondering when might be the best time to come up for a visit next year and camp. We have zero experience driving in snow. Heck, I've never even seen snow before (except for a few flurries). I prefer to do it early in the year and yet I know this is probably the coldest weather. I just need to start getting the ball rolling soon. I guess I just want to know what is the weather like in the early months of the year and does it seem feasible at all to tent camp during these months without being miserable?

Roxors advice is dead on I'm afraid. You obviously can't come in the next month (while the weather is still pleasant enough) but coming before April there is just no telling about the weather. I would also advise you to just watch the weather closely and you may get an unseasonably warm weekend at some point before April. But of course you need to be able to travel quickly when that happens. And I do hope you don't plan to bring the new baby? Temps won't get THAT good.

BUT, I do have another solution South of Asheville is Lake Junaluska where the Methodist Church has its conference and retreat center. It is very large with hotel accomadations. The rooms are plain, no tv's, but nice and clean. They are open to the general public when there are no big church activities going on. I just checked and the room rate for two adults in January would be $64. a night - not bad at all! If this interests you so that you can plan a trip without worrying about the weather here is their number: Reservations & Registration
1-800-222-4930 Good luck and hope this helps

Old 10-13-2006, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the very helpful responses. When we go we will be taking the baby and my five year old son. I just found a beautiful campground in Asheville with a yurt we could stay in. This would be perfect since we have considered buying a yurt to put on some land anyway and I would like to stay in one first. It looks like they only have one available though which means I imagine I would need to make reservations pretty far in advance. That makes it hard to do the last minute weather assessing thing.

Okay, so if we aren't staying in a tent but in a yurt with a fireplace, what seems like a good time frame to make reservations? Honestly I want to stay when it is really cold because I need to know if I can tolerate it before we think about relocating there. My biggest concern as I mentioned before is driving in snow. Driving through the mountains makes me nervous enough but the prospect of sliding off of one in ice and snow sounds a lot worse.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:08 PM

108 posts, read 337,949 times
Default Hi pixie

I also am comtemplating Asheville, and we also are looking into buying a yurt, I have been in them, and they are nice! I am trying to remember the website for yurts...oregonyurts...or something like that. I also am moving from FL.

The thing is, I can't imagining putting one up myself, there is just no way! Is there a yurt construction company out there?

Old 10-13-2006, 12:13 PM

Pixie, if you are still planning your trip to Ashville, save some $$ and stay in a nice room at Earth haven. It is a 'modern commune' in my opinion. Just the bet way to describe it now, nice website earthaven.org I beleive.

They have rooms that we plan to stay in this Nov. if we end up in Asheville on our visit, rooms are $11 or $25 per nite, dinner is $5

Old 10-13-2006, 12:15 PM

2,657 posts, read 6,897,635 times
Quote:
I just found a beautiful campground in Asheville with a yurt we could stay in.
Would that be Campfire Lodgings? We've camped there; niiice place, very accommodating hosts, but a bit of a winding drive up the mountain to the site. I didn't realize they were open in the winter.

You ought to check http://rvparkreviews.com/ That's a very good review site for campgrounds. Most likely, all the Asheville/area campgrounds will be covered there.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:15 PM

45,264 posts, read 84,606,168 times
Quote:
Thanks for the very helpful responses. When we go we will be taking the baby and my five year old son. I just found a beautiful campground in Asheville with a yurt we could stay in. This would be perfect since we have considered buying a yurt to put on some land anyway and I would like to stay in one first. It looks like they only have one available though which means I imagine I would need to make reservations pretty far in advance. That makes it hard to do the last minute weather assessing thing.

Okay, so if we aren't staying in a tent but in a yurt with a fireplace, what seems like a good time frame to make reservations? Honestly I want to stay when it is really cold because I need to know if I can tolerate it before we think about relocating there. My biggest concern as I mentioned before is driving in snow. Driving through the mountains makes me nervous enough but the prospect of sliding off of one in ice and snow sounds a lot worse.
January and February would be the times most likely to get snow. Not sure of your due date, but could you make it in December before Christmas? Even then the weather can be unpredictable, but January and February are the worst.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:23 PM

Teressah, we really like some of the brochures we have seen from pacific yurts. They seem like the most well made manufacturers with the most options and amenities. If I had to put one up by myself I would be right there with you but my husband is up for the challenge and supposedly even the largest size takes no more than several days or a week to erect. Other than that there is just the deck to build. Hey, it is a lot less work than building something from scratch, right?

It is so funny you mention Earthhaven because I have them bookmarked! I was trying to talk my husband into moving there, lol, because it sounds so perfect but he isn't into the intentional community thing. It is funny that I never thought about camping there though. I will definitely look into it.

Silverwing, that is the exact campground I was looking at! I was wondering what the drive up the mountain would be like. We have driven up some steep mountains to stay in cabins in TN before. Like I said, I would probably be petrified in the snow though.

Going before the end of the year is out of the question since the baby is due at the beginning of December and of course there is so much going on this time of year with the holidays anyway. It sounds like maybe March or April would be an ideal month. How likely is snow during those times?

Old 10-13-2006, 12:47 PM

VVIt is so funny you mention Earthhaven because I have them bookmarked! I was trying to talk my husband into moving there, lol, because it sounds so perfect but he isn't into the intentional community thing. It is funny that I never thought about camping there though. I will definitely look into it.
<<<

The person there to talk to, or email is Lee, he did tell me there are many spiders there, the one thing I really am afraid of. It is nice to stay there, I hear, plus the money goes towards Earth Haven which is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina