U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 07:17 PM

94 posts, read 142,164 times

Advertisements

Hi

Hope this is not duplicated, but could not find this question.

I have been watching the weather reports for Waynesville and it seems like it is unusually cold for November?? I have also looked at averages and records. I guess I didn't expect lows in the 20's and highs in the 40's and 50's till Dec. or Jan.?

Just a slight panic b/c it is so nice finally now here in AZ. It has been unusually hot for a longer time and is just now getting to highs in the 80's. We had a routine check on the heating system the other day, and it was still not possible to stop using the cooling. lol.

I realize of course that there is some colder weather there in the winter, but is this an unusual cold snap now? I can hardly wait to see NC when we visit in the spring.

Thanks. Marian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 07:44 PM

5,660 posts, read 18,345,428 times
2007 Asheville (KAVL) Temperatures

September - 2.4 degrees above normal
October - 3.6 degrees above normal
November to Date - 4.1 degrees below normal

Normal for this time of the month is a high of 59 and a low of 37.

National Weather Service

Last edited by mm34b; 11-09-2007 at 08:43 PM..

Old 11-09-2007, 07:50 PM

50 posts, read 98,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marian2005 View Post
Hi

Hope this is not duplicated, but could not find this question.

I have been watching the weather reports for Waynesville and it seems like it is unusually cold for November?? I have also looked at averages and records. I guess I didn't expect lows in the 20's and highs in the 40's and 50's till Dec. or Jan.?

Just a slight panic b/c it is so nice finally now here in AZ. It has been unusually hot for a longer time and is just now getting to highs in the 80's. We had a routine check on the heating system the other day, and it was still not possible to stop using the cooling. lol.

I realize of course that there is some colder weather there in the winter, but is this an unusual cold snap now? I can hardly wait to see NC when we visit in the spring.

Thanks. Marian
Actually it's been wonderful here in Waynesville. Yeah the early morning and late evenings are a bit chilly but so far every afternoon it's been beautiful. It's just starting to get comfortable. It's been dry. Today my friend and I went shopping and by the mid afternoon we were both in just our tee-shirt and jeans. We had to take off our jackets and I drove with the windows open. If you are getting your information off the TV don't believe everything the weather people telll you. If you are gettting info. from a person maybe that person likes it hot. We had a horrible hot humid summer and fall it's just getting nice now. Linda

Old 11-09-2007, 08:03 PM

283 posts, read 893,698 times
Default Waynesville Weather

Hi Marian,

The first time I came to this area, I went to a Halloween party and the temp was 18 degrees with a pretty stout wind blowing... yikes! I wondered how it could get so cold. It all evens out though.

Go to weather.com and put in 28786 as the zip code. That should give you some good feedback in 10 day increments.

Take care and we look forward to you getting the opportunity to visit.

Gina
j-bird22

Old 11-09-2007, 08:40 PM

5,660 posts, read 18,345,428 times
Web sites like weather.com will give you a rough idea, but the data is not really from Waynesville. They're using data from the Federal government's monitoring station located at the Asheville Regional Airport in Fletcher, NC. The elevation at the airport is lower than Waynesville's. The distance between the two is around 27 air miles.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:28 PM

16,310 posts, read 14,812,175 times
The weather is lovely, finally feels like fall instead of summer. Instead of "slight panic" get a jacket, or if the weather is so great in AZ........ well you know.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:13 PM

94 posts, read 142,164 times
Thanks everyone. No, Asheville Native, the weather is not that great in AZ, that is just one reason I want to come to NC. I know what you mean though. And yes I have jackets. People here complain that it is not like where they came from, well then... Been here for decades and definitely looking forward to NC. Anyway the summers here are getting longer and hotter and the winters are getting colder and the nice spring and fall are both getting shorter.

So what site would be the best to get the most accurate weather reports? Thanks.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:14 PM

51 posts, read 137,203 times
IMO, the best weather site is Welcome to The Weather Underground : Weather Underground -- it gives you so much more than just the weather and it shows you which station locations its recording the temperatures at.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:47 AM

518 posts, read 1,497,550 times
We visited Waynesville about a month ago and it was in the low 80s when we arrived. Then a cold front came through and it was as though someone turned off the heater and turned on the A/C. We enjoyed beautiful, clear, 65-degree days and 40-degree nights for the rest of our trip. Sounds like it's stayed cool ever since.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:00 AM

16,310 posts, read 14,812,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marian2005 View Post

So what site would be the best to get the most accurate weather reports? Thanks.
A site like Personal Weather Stations Google Map : Weather Underground which displays dozens (35,000+ world wide) of personal weather stations data overlayed onto Google Maps. You get a picture of the differences a few miles and change in elevation can make in the mountains. The numbers represent the current temp, and click on one to view graphs and historical data for that specific location.

Not sure where the "official" waynesville weather site is, but the one for Asheville is located 15 miles south in a completely different geography, and has very little to do with the conditions in Asheville proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina