U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 02:36 PM

5,124 posts, read 9,441,171 times

Advertisements

Hi Waynesville-ites. My DH and I will be visiting Waynesville in September and are seeking your not-to-be-missed advice. I hope you'll share with us.

We like outdoor activities--walking, cycling, and canoeing. Pretty trails, hikes/walks/paddle places not to miss?

We'll be eating out some, so would love to hear your funky and gourmet dining advice. Your favorite place to grocery/produce shop?

Listening to live music is always fun--any live music venues you like? We like hand-made things--any craft/art places you'd recommend?

What else--what's the essence of Waynesville that makes you love your community?

Many advance thank you's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 01:46 PM

4,128 posts, read 7,634,935 times
Hi Dolphin,
We have lived here ~12 years, and it's interesting when one is asked to think about 'what to see/do here', as we tend to take our home place for granted.

Not trying to do a term paper, so I have pasted a few links from TA, and some comments:
-canoeing is not close by to my knowledge. We do some kayaking on the Tuckaseegee, but the put in is in Dillsboro, not exactly close to Waynesville.
-walking is anywhere you want, in town, around town, up any of the surrounding mountains, etc. Downtown is very walkable.
-same for cycling: one can ride anywhere in greater W'ville area; there are lots of riders coming through, riding around, etc.
-the Blue Ridge Parkway has an entrance close to W'ville, just south of town on the divided hwy 'bypass', aka Rt 23/74. Parkway there is higher elevation, and one can turn left on it and go 'north' toward Asheville, or turn right and go toward Cherokee; either by car or by bicycle, and wonderfully empty on a week day, not so empty on weekends.
-There are a dozenish galleries in downtown, and a couple more a few blocks 'below' downtown, in 'Frog Level'. Some galleries are thriving, some are barely getting by, typical of any gallery row. Lots of art stuff, from tchotchkes to big bucks, with many examples of nature type works ranging from rustic to world class, imo.
-There are a few live music venues right in downtown, connected/part of restaurants, but can't find a schedule or link...if your give some dates for your trip I could look harder and more specifically.
-Restaurants: dozens, with a few being pretty decent. We are good cooks and eat at home or at our country club more than we eat out/downtown, but good places of late:
Bourbon Barrel in Hazelwood, (an older section of town on the south side), Chef's Table, Sweet Onion, Nick & Nate's for pizza, City Bakery, et al. I rec'd them...though others may have their faves.

There are also a half dozen plus local micro breweries here, with most selling their suds in local taverns, most of which also have decent pub fare.

-Grocery stores: Ingles and their ilk. There are 2 competing Farmer's Mkts in town, and both are excellent; they operate on Wed and Sat: one about 2 blocks off Main St in the Hart Theater parking lot, and the other in a youth baseball field complex parking lot down below Bogart's Restaurant. I prefer the Hart Theater joint...
-If you chase the ball, there are 3 tracks close to town, and I can hook you and spouse up on our course if you wish:
Laurel Ridge CC.
-The town pop is ~8,000, but fairly vibrant and in good shape fiscally. There are about 56,000 in the entire county, with another 5,000 + non-rez summer time part timers. Lots of good two lane roads to explore right out of town in any direction, and going up any of the surrounding mtn roads gets one to see some well done mountain housing communities, higher elevations, (we live at 5,000 ft), and much cooler temps.
My 50Cts...
GL, mD

TA links, 'Activities':
Things to do in Waynesville: Check out 4 Waynesville Attractions - TripAdvisor

TA links, 'Restaurants':
Waynesville, NC Restaurants: See 62 restaurants with 2,764 reviews - TripAdvisor

Last edited by motordavid; 08-07-2013 at 02:04 PM..

Old 08-07-2013, 03:21 PM

5,124 posts, read 9,441,171 times
Many thanks, MotorDavid. I'm going to print out your excellent tips and bring with us when we come in mid-Sept.

Waynesville has been on our bucket list for some time, so we're excited to visit your sweet, mountain community. Our hometown of Beaufort NC sounds a lot like your counterpart on the coast...

We'll likely be doing quite a bit of cooking, too, but once in a while it's "chef's night out" so it will be fun to explore some local eateries. Looked at Chef's Table online menu..it sure made my mouth water...and pubs are always fun and good places to meet locals.

Thanks again for your great advice. No, alas, we're not ball chasers, mostly just pedalers and paddlers and walkers--pretty good at sitting, rocking and star-gazing, too!...

Appreciate your CC offer, though.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:02 PM

21,430 posts, read 29,583,218 times
The Blue Ridge Parkway should be the first thing you do!!!!!!!!! And be sure and visit Maggie Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina