Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 10:38 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,865,699 times

Advertisements

Well this is interesting. I'm very Conservative and yes I do believe Obama is the most divisive failure to ever be president. That said, I'm an Atheist so I don't fit any mold really. I too want to move to this area and it looks like Asheville is out for me. I will look at these other towns mentioned here. Thank you all for your information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 11:46 PM

318 posts, read 625,830 times
You might be very comfortable in Hendersonville. There are quite a few retirees here from New York and New Jersey. Perhaps you'd be interested in buying my house. It's in a very nice neighborhood and there's a New Jersey couple across the street and a Republican state legislator right next door, although he's a moderate Republican, not a conservative.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:50 AM

152 posts, read 246,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Oh... gee whiz dang it. I've never heard of anything like that in California.
Yes, and people leaving the state in droves because of 13% state tax! Grand place. I sent Direct message to you. Thank you!

Old 08-22-2013, 01:03 PM

4,782 posts, read 10,542,409 times
I must live in a cocoon: I can't think of a single elected idiot politician I have any regard for, I don't care what 'party' anyone is sucked into/doesn't like, my mother was Jewish, but I don't spend 10 seconds a year thinking about any religion, don't care what anyone believes in, no matter how far fetched or absurd, etc.

With all of the above not being part of my daily thinking, we have dozens of friends of every stripe, here in western NC.

If one doesn't like the 'politics' or the strong thumper mentality, either avoid talking about it with people, or just smile and say 'no thanks', or move, or don't move to western NC.

Seriously, most of our friends that we have acquired over the past 12 years are 'conservative' or 'liberal', (none can really define what those glittering generality terms means), many are jump up and down 'religious', (though not necessarily forgiving or 'Christian-like' in my opinion), and all know that me & my CEO could not give a flying freak about that stuff.

Yet, we still have dozens of very good friends, and a handful that I would trust with my life.
Must be different for some, and it must matter to some what political party or inane religion your neighbors or 'community' is...
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 08-22-2013 at 01:45 PM..

Old 08-22-2013, 09:26 PM

252 posts, read 471,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Must be different for some, and it must matter to some what political party or inane religion your neighbors or 'community' is...
GL, mD
I get what you're saying MD. I often feel I have my progressive democrat ideology, and no one to represent me. They (almost) all seem bought & paid for, with their only goals being to raise money & get re-elected. They seem to only represent the big money interests that basically buy them & absolutely write their legislative proposals for them. (ie, Haliburton in NC.)

And yet at other times, it does seem to matter...

And sometimes, when you feel strongly about current affairs, it may be trying to live near alot of people who you believe are part of the problem. That can go both ways...Glad you stay above the fray and don't care either way.

Last edited by MovingOver2; 08-22-2013 at 09:38 PM..

Old 08-22-2013, 10:19 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,865,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDavid View Post
You might be very comfortable in Hendersonville. There are quite a few retirees here from New York and New Jersey. Perhaps you'd be interested in buying my house. It's in a very nice neighborhood and there's a New Jersey couple across the street and a Republican state legislator right next door, although he's a moderate Republican, not a conservative.
Thanks for the offer but I'll be looking at 10 acres minimum.
Just because a politician is a Republican really means nothing these days. I vote solid Conservative, looking at a candidates past voting record and how they have stood on issues all along. I never listen to what they say during reelection. I'll be happy if my nearest neighbor no matter who they are are a mile or so away. I'm so done with crowding, I need SPACE!!

Old 08-24-2013, 08:41 PM

532 posts, read 1,086,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDavid View Post
You mentioned cities in Western NC you like but you didn't say much about the lifestyle you're looking for. And those cities have very different lifestyles. Asheville is generally very liberal with more of a city atmosphere and lots of younger residents. Hendersonville, on the other hand, is more small town and rural, generally extremely conservative and hyper-religious, and overrun by elderly retirees who drive like maniacs. We moved to Hendersonville a year ago after being entranced by the cute downtown, and now we can't wait to get away from the conservative anger and bigotry. We're moving back to the West Coast as soon as our house sells. Beware of deciding where to move based on the scenery instead of the inhabitants.

How did you end up in Hendersonville and not Asheville? I think I have seen you at Top Retirements right?

Old 08-29-2013, 12:49 AM

172 posts, read 288,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbono View Post
What if you're a liberal Democrat whose life does revolve around the church?
What if you don't like either one of those viewpoints and just want people to be free to do what they will as long as they are not harming anyone else (or at someone else's expense)?

Old 08-29-2013, 07:45 AM

474 posts, read 835,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maulotaur View Post
What if you don't like either one of those viewpoints and just want people to be free to do what they will as long as they are not harming anyone else (or at someone else's expense)?
I certainly share your viewpoint, maulotaur, I too just want people to be free to do what they will as long as they are not harming anyone else. I'm just curious why you're quoting me though, since I wasn't the one who posed the scenario of only two viewpoints.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:14 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,498,062 times
To get back on track...believe there are political forums.
Weaverville is great place with a walkable downtown that has number of excellent restaurants, nice pub, shops, fantastic bakery, good library and tailgate market. Grocery store a longer walk but doable if you want to do it. We have lived near WV for 10 years made many friends of all religious and political persuasions lots of good friendly folks from all over around here! Asheville is only 15 minutes for bigger town amenities. We are really glad we picked this area and easy access to BRP via Reems Creek valley/Ox Creek area which is beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina