Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 06:14 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Ut oh! I am traveling alone and the owner just told me my AT&T cell phone won't pick up a signal in Franklin. She owns a few rental properties and said visitors from FL who have AT&T have had a lot of trouble and often can't get any reception. I have been with AT&T for years and I never thought about it.

Seriously, that would bother me. I don't worry about being by myself, but I wouldn't want to be without phone service, especially in an unfamiliar area in the winter. Even if I get another phone when I get there, I want to know if I get stuck on the road that I can call for help. I have no idea what it would cost to get a prepaid cell phone for a month, but I always get good reception with AT&T everywhere I go. Is this common in WNC or just in that area?

Verizon is the service that works best here in the mountains. They have more towers than the others combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 09:34 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
I'm finally here! Franklin is very beautiful, although it might be a little too far out in the country for me. I just got here, so I need to look around. Yesterday I must have been in overdrive (my brain, not my car..lol) because I got in my car and drove & drove & drove. My legs were numb, my back was aching, but somehow I ended up on a dark road in Northeast Georgia. Ut oh. Figured I should pull over and try to stay warm until the sun came up, but it was only about 10. All of a sudden I saw a town over the hill. Yay! I checked into a small place in Clayton. My birthday was a few days ago and I didn't get a chance to celebrate it, so I bought a slice of fudge brownie cheesecake in Ingles a few hours ago. One thing I know for sure..I will not be driving around here at night. Remember, for 20 years I never saw a hill in SW Florida. Even driving in Gainesville FL was an adventure because of all the hills and curves. But these are real mountain roads!!

Old 03-25-2014, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,518 times
I live in Waynesville and LOVE it. So many hiking opportunities, a charming little downtown, and it's only half an hour from the airport and malls in Asheville! Cashiers is incredibly beautiful but gets a lot of tourists during the summer. If I was willing to give up my job, I would still move there in a heartbeat!

Old 03-27-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoebowl View Post
I live in Waynesville and LOVE it. So many hiking opportunities, a charming little downtown, and it's only half an hour from the airport and malls in Asheville! Cashiers is incredibly beautiful but gets a lot of tourists during the summer. If I was willing to give up my job, I would still move there in a heartbeat!
I might take a trip to Waynesville this week. Speaking of heartbeats, although the scenery driving back to Franklin from Sylva & Bryson City yesterday was breathtaking, my heart was beating rapidly. Think it was 441. Maybe I'm too much of a wimp to live here. Weather is perfect, however. 52 and sunny. Evenings have been cold and I saw my first snowflake in over 20 years on Tuesday. (but it didn't stick) Downtown Sylva is charming. I only knew I was in Bryson City because I bought a few items in Walmart and was told that's where I was. My GPS isn't perfect and I occasionally yell at her when I'm lost, but I'm glad I have it.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,755 times
Default Check Out Lake Lure, NC - A Great Place to Retire

Hi Teresa,

I recently retired to Western North Carolina with my husband. We made two different trips in search of the perfect place and looked everywhere ... Asheville, Hot Springs, Weaverville, Maggie Valley, Fletcher, Arden, Hendersonville and more ... On our second trip we found and fell in love with Lake Lure, NC. It's a small, charming lake community nestled in the mountains and we just love it. We are a 25 minute drive to Hendersonville, 35 to Black Mountain and 40-45 minutes to Asheville. We spent 25+ years in Tampa Florida and never felt as connected to a place as we do here. It is amazing. We love the outdoors and hike weekly. There's a ton of trails within 5-30 minutes of our home. We love to kayak and so enjoy Lake Lure.

[Mod cut]

We've become avid volunteers, I joined a clogging group (and didn't even know what clogging was) :-D.

Definitely check it out. It's a magical little place that I'm so lucky to call home.

Lisa Duncan

Last edited by ElkHunter; 03-28-2014 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: Will send DM

Old 03-29-2014, 07:55 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
You do get used to driving on the mountain roads and it won't bother you. Scenery up that way is beautiful. Stop in Dillsboro, NC cute little place for lunch. If you want really scary driving keep going south to Atlanta it makes the mountain roads a piece of cake!

Old 03-29-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
You do get used to driving on the mountain roads and it won't bother you. Scenery up that way is beautiful. Stop in Dillsboro, NC cute little place for lunch. If you want really scary driving keep going south to Atlanta it makes the mountain roads a piece of cake!
I'm pretty sure I passed through Dillsboro when I drove to Sylva, but maybe I only saw the signs.

I know what you mean about traffic. It was a smooth trip driving north from Florida on I-75 until I was south of Atlanta. I kept thinking "Well, it's rush hour" until I realized it was Sunday.

One reason I want to check out of this beautiful home is that I am getting a headache every morning. I swear it's from the gas log fireplace, so I keep opening the door to get some fresh air. I posted about the problem on another City-Data thread yesterday. Fortunately, the nice people who rented me the house gave me the option of paying for a week before making a longer commitment.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:13 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I'm pretty sure I passed through Dillsboro when I drove to Sylva, but maybe I only saw the signs.

I know what you mean about traffic. It was a smooth trip driving north from Florida on I-75 until I was south of Atlanta. I kept thinking "Well, it's rush hour" until I realized it was Sunday.

One reason I want to check out of this beautiful home is that I am getting a headache every morning. I swear it's from the gas log fireplace, so I keep opening the door to get some fresh air. I posted about the problem on another City-Data thread yesterday. Fortunately, the nice people who rented me the house gave me the option of paying for a week before making a longer commitment.
Could the headaches also have something to do with adjustment to altitude? I know we're not talking the Rockies here, but considering you came from Florida, I'm wondering if that might be an issue.

With that said, I myself am not fond of gas as an energy source. Except for maybe in a cook stove, and even then..

Old 03-29-2014, 04:01 PM

Interesting. I didn't think about the elevation since I used to spend a lot of time in the White and Green mountains when I was younger and I've been to Aspen and Breckenridge. i lived in Colorado for a year, but that was a long time ago. I've been plagued with headaches off and on most of my life, but these seem to be triggered by the odor. I read that small carbon monoxide leaks can causes headaches, and they're often not detected because it's odorless. I haven't been feeling right since I got here, but I don't want my imagination to run wild.

I don't want to go off-topic, since there's already a thread about gas log fireplaces, but I can hear the pilot and feel some heat when I'm near the fireplace, so it seems like a waste of energy, since nobody lives here. I pushed the "on" button on the remote, because I thought it might burn off some of the odor (whatever is causing it) but then the home smelled dusty to me. Maybe it's normal and I just don't like it. Give me a real campfire and marshmallows on a stick. lol

I'm sitting on a rocking chair under a blanket, listening to the sounds of nature. The rain just stopped and the sun is peeking through the clouds. The cool, fresh air feels nice. This is certainly a pretty place to visit.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:38 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
justNancy: Franklin area is fairly low elevation, but fwiw, we experience headaches for a few days upon our return to our Waynesville Mtn house every Spring. We are at ~5,000, so I understand that the slight, constant headache is 'normal', and it dissipates in a day or so.

As kmarc noted, it could be the elevation increase vs FL.

Otoh, a CO problem can be deadly...
GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina