U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-12-2007, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 6,076 times
Smile New to area - wanting to meet new friends

Hi there! I just moved to the area a few months ago and my job has prevented me from meeting people of similar interests. I'm a single, career-oriented gal in her late twenties, looking for some other people to go hang out with. I love sitting with a cup of coffee or good glass of wine and listening to music. Love the outdoors and traveling. My dog acts as my child! Love to shop as well. Anyone like-minded???
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 12:53 PM

442 posts, read 867,922 times
Hi mtn-girl - I was in Asheville over the weekend and we ate at Jack in the Wood on Patton Avenue - the food was good and the place was filled with people your age - and they looked like they were having a great time - plus a friend of mine says on Monday nights they have a quiz type game that tons of people play and it's really a good time - good luck to you!

Old 11-12-2007, 09:40 PM

758 posts, read 1,509,319 times
LOL! I will agree with Loves mountains and add that you could go almost anywhere in downtown Asheville, mtn-girl, and find "like-minded people." Asheville R U!

Jan

Old 11-16-2007, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 6,016 times
Default we're moving to the area in a couple weeks

to Mars Hill (from San Francisco). I'm 30, husband is 37, and we love Jack of the Wood ; ) We'll be looking to meet new people too, we're both musicians (bluegrass and old timey stuff) so we'll probably find some friends at jams, etc., but we also love the outdoors and hiking/camping/backpacking with our 3 dogs, and mellow dinner parties at home with great food and wine (I love to cook!). We both work at home (graphic design/printing) so we'll have to make an effort to get out and about to make new friends too...

Old 11-18-2007, 08:25 AM

17 posts, read 39,560 times
Mtn-girl,

You also might try meetup.com. This web service is free and offers lots of affinity groups for you to join in Asheville.

I am a member of the Eclectic Dining meetup group which visits one of the many restaurants in and around Asheville each week. Usually there are 5 to 8 people dining together.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:06 PM

261 posts, read 583,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmechante View Post
to Mars Hill (from San Francisco). I'm 30, husband is 37, and we love Jack of the Wood ; ) We'll be looking to meet new people too, we're both musicians (bluegrass and old timey stuff) so we'll probably find some friends at jams, etc., but we also love the outdoors and hiking/camping/backpacking with our 3 dogs, and mellow dinner parties at home with great food and wine (I love to cook!). We both work at home (graphic design/printing) so we'll have to make an effort to get out and about to make new friends too...
Jack of the wood has some good beers on tap...not into the bands/artists/styles of music they showcase there but I occasionally go up there. Anyone been to Whisky Tavern? I go past it all the time but haven't been there yet.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,764 times
Wink sexy mom

Hello! My son and I recently moved to Asheville. Love it here! Looking for friends to hang out with. Im physically fit. I love comedys and horror movies. My 10 yr old Loves music and Guitar Hero. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy red wines. Anyone with similar likes, let me know.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 5,569 times
My husband (age 26) and I (a little older than that) recently moved to the Asheville area and we're finding it difficult to meet people as we both work from home. He's a software developer and I'm a psychologist. We both love listening to music, hiking, enjoying the outdoors, and our two fabulous cats. Jack of the Woods sounds like a good idea...any other suggestions? Also, I'd LOVE to find a book club that reads fun and interesting books if anyone knows of one.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:34 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,982,423 times
All of you inquiring about meeting people, pick up a Mountain Xpress, it's a big entertainment type newspaper, millions of interest clubs listed, and music venues and outdoor stuff, just everything under the sun for people of all ages. They also have a website, but not sure if their listings are as comprehensive.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 5,382 times
Default Looking for friends

My best friend (with benefits) who happens to be my roommate and I decided to look for people to hang out with and we saw your post. We moved here in September and have found it kind of hard to meet people, even though we see people everywhere. We're both early 30's. He works in the mental health field and I am a live-in girlfriend (of sorts). My kitty biscuits is certainly like my child... We love camping and live music and look forward to the weather warming up so we can hike more like we did in the Fall. We're also looking forward to all the downtown happenin's coming up, since we live so close to downtown.

I'm not sure how this works--this site with contacts and all... guess I'll post this and see how it goes.

Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-girl View Post
Hi there! I just moved to the area a few months ago and my job has prevented me from meeting people of similar interests. I'm a single, career-oriented gal in her late twenties, looking for some other people to go hang out with. I love sitting with a cup of coffee or good glass of wine and listening to music. Love the outdoors and traveling. My dog acts as my child! Love to shop as well. Anyone like-minded???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina