Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 12:44 PM

85 posts, read 263,950 times

Advertisements

We just moved to CHarlotte from out of state and were wanting to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway to see all the changing colors in the trees, but weren't sure when the best time is to go....can anyone tell me? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2006, 01:02 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linearity View Post
We just moved to CHarlotte from out of state and were wanting to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway to see all the changing colors in the trees, but weren't sure when the best time is to go....can anyone tell me? Thanks!

RIGHT NOW!! Seriously get in your car next Saturday and head on up, the third weekend in October is usually peak there

Old 10-14-2006, 01:30 PM

293 posts, read 959,031 times
That must be so beautiful! I can't wait! On our first driving trip to NC, we were driving down 77(I think) and just before we got to the NC welcome center, there was a beautiful overlook to our left. It was breathtaking and it wasn't even in the fall!

Old 10-14-2006, 02:16 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Depends on the year. You can get the leaf status here.

http://www.foliagenetwork.com/reports/southeast_us/

Old 10-14-2006, 02:40 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Depends on the year. You can get the leaf status here.

http://www.foliagenetwork.com/reports/southeast_us/
I agree with this. It can vary from year to year.

Old 10-14-2006, 02:44 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linearity View Post
Living farther north than Charlotte, we know the back ways to go (we always take 601 to Mt Airy then 52 thru Cana). The fastest interstate way would be to take I-77 into Virginia. There'll be a Welcome Center not far after the border. You should be able to get a Nat'l Park Service map there and a Blue Ridge Guide. You can also view the NPS map in an Adobe format here http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisi.../blrimap-2.pdf The exit for the BRP is, I'm pretty sure, 8. There'll be a brown sign pointing the way.

If you are just making it a day trip, Saturday/Sunday would be best, and you'd have to leave early in the morning to make a good drive, coming from Charlotte. Just be prepared for the traffic on weekends. It's not really that bad, but fall weekends are probably when the road sees the most use. I'd head north to Mabry Mill. Typically, October weekends are when they have old timey craft demonstrations there. Then turn around and go south, stopping at the Blue Ridge Music Center. They have a small museum that charts the history of blue grass music; the Carter Family, etc. Farther down is Brinegar Cabin. There might be activities there or at least a Park Service docent who will explain the exhibit. It's supposed to represent what the life of 19th century mountain people was like. Doughton Park has a cafe, the Northwest Trading Post is a store where local crafts are sold. Definitely pay a visit to Glendale Springs. That's where the Church of the Frescoes is http://www.churchofthefrescoes.com/ A good return-to-home spot would be 421. That's a 4-laner that will take you through Wilkesboro and back to I-77. Some might suggest heading to Boone and taking 321, but I think there is a lot of construction going on along that route. Besides, 321 can be insane with all the other fall weekenders heading to Boone from Charlotte

Make sure you gas up. The parkway is a tourist route with no gas facilities (I'm thinking that the only place you can now get gas right beside the road is way up at Peaks of Otter. I know for certain that Doughton Park no longer has a gas pump). Pay attention to the speed limit. Top speed is 45, with lesser speeds where people are expected to be turning in and out - like Mabry Mill. Watch out for bicyclists and motorcycles. The road is pretty curvy in some spots, with unexpected turnouts.

If you want to learn more about the Blue Ridge Country, look for the magazine that bears that name. I think the URL Patrol deletes the link when it's posted , so google "blue ridge country magazine" to take you to the periodical site.

Next weekend will probably be the last good weekend to see the colors. Into November, there'll be color, but the leaves will be falling and the mountains will look kind of ragged.

Have a good trip

Old 10-14-2006, 06:18 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
I LOVE driving on the Parkway ANYTIME I get the chance!!!!!

Old 10-17-2006, 10:45 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Living farther north than Charlotte, we know the back ways to go (we always take 601 to Mt Airy then 52 thru Cana). The fastest interstate way would be to take I-77 into Virginia. There'll be a Welcome Center not far after the border. You should be able to get a Nat'l Park Service map there and a Blue Ridge Guide. You can also view the NPS map in an Adobe format here http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisi.../blrimap-2.pdf The exit for the BRP is, I'm pretty sure, 8. There'll be a brown sign pointing the way.

If you are just making it a day trip, Saturday/Sunday would be best, and you'd have to leave early in the morning to make a good drive, coming from Charlotte. Just be prepared for the traffic on weekends. It's not really that bad, but fall weekends are probably when the road sees the most use. I'd head north to Mabry Mill. Typically, October weekends are when they have old timey craft demonstrations there. Then turn around and go south, stopping at the Blue Ridge Music Center. They have a small museum that charts the history of blue grass music; the Carter Family, etc. Farther down is Brinegar Cabin. There might be activities there or at least a Park Service docent who will explain the exhibit. It's supposed to represent what the life of 19th century mountain people was like. Doughton Park has a cafe, the Northwest Trading Post is a store where local crafts are sold. Definitely pay a visit to Glendale Springs. That's where the Church of the Frescoes is http://www.churchofthefrescoes.com/ A good return-to-home spot would be 421. That's a 4-laner that will take you through Wilkesboro and back to I-77. Some might suggest heading to Boone and taking 321, but I think there is a lot of construction going on along that route. Besides, 321 can be insane with all the other fall weekenders heading to Boone from Charlotte

Make sure you gas up. The parkway is a tourist route with no gas facilities (I'm thinking that the only place you can now get gas right beside the road is way up at Peaks of Otter. I know for certain that Doughton Park no longer has a gas pump). Pay attention to the speed limit. Top speed is 45, with lesser speeds where people are expected to be turning in and out - like Mabry Mill. Watch out for bicyclists and motorcycles. The road is pretty curvy in some spots, with unexpected turnouts.

If you want to learn more about the Blue Ridge Country, look for the magazine that bears that name. I think the URL Patrol deletes the link when it's posted , so google "blue ridge country magazine" to take you to the periodical site.

Next weekend will probably be the last good weekend to see the colors. Into November, there'll be color, but the leaves will be falling and the mountains will look kind of ragged.

Have a good trip
Absolutely now and have a great trip and drive safe, because you WILL be driving slow!!

Old 10-18-2006, 04:54 PM

44 posts, read 275,308 times
Default Blue Ridge Pkwy

Right now.........I was there Sun. Got some good photos.

Old 10-18-2006, 06:49 PM

73 posts, read 309,097 times
Hello from Hickory,
The Blue Ridge Parkway is beautiful any time of the year, but especially now. This week October 19 would be a great time to see the leaves. My Mother went up that way today, and said the higher elevation's were changing now. So I figure this weekend would be perfect. Enjoy your trip. Another place you would love is the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, if you have never been there, it's simply gorgeous!
CATHY
Moderator cut: email removed

Last edited by autumngal; 01-29-2008 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: your email is in your user profile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina