U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 07:07 AM

4,114 posts, read 7,599,227 times

Advertisements

Most of 'us' could have told 'them' that...

Interesting that the AVL airport plateau is still used as the 'official' precipitation standard for A'ville and 'western NC'. That area is one of the 'least wet' areas in the state, historically.

The 'mold & mildew stories' are popping up like mushrooms, too...not a surprise.

I vote for a week or two of no rain.
GL, mD

http://www.citizen-times.com/article...fall-anomalies
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 08:50 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,926,450 times
Agree with you rain amounts at the airport are always low compared to my area north of Asheville near BRP. But guess they need a location for reporting. Think I saw, heard, read that 3 month forecast is for continued above average moisture levels. Think we are all pretty well saturated as far as moisture is concerned My clothes line has become a hang out for hummingbirds since I've used it so seldom this summer. It is summer right? Tomatoes rotting, snap peas making pods so no longer sure. lol

Old 08-21-2013, 07:38 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,322,509 times
just read that we rank 2nd as the wettest location in the country after Hawaii ... that's a first !!

Old 08-21-2013, 10:29 AM

10,226 posts, read 14,078,239 times
How weird is that.

That must be for this year only ... we have no record of "the wettest" other than 2013.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:49 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 2,867,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
just read that we rank 2nd as the wettest location in the country after Hawaii ... that's a first !!
I don't doubt it, but where did you read this? I couldn't find it, although it's a bit of a chore using a phone.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:36 AM

4,114 posts, read 7,599,227 times
Asheville-Citizen Times art. and link..still using the AVL area recording as the baseline, though few of us 'live' at the airport.

Fwiw, my neighbor the weather spotter, tells me we have had 108" of precip, year to date; he is year round up here.
GL, mD

Nation's second-wettest place? RIGHT HERE!

Record rains make mountains second only to Hilo, Hawaii

If relentless storms have made area residents feel like they’re living on a rain-drenched Pacific island rather than in the mountains of Western North Carolina, that‘s because they’re not far off.
According to the latest study by the National Climatic Data Center, record-breaking rainfall has made this area second only in precipitation to Hilo, Hawaii.

“It’s pretty much unprecedented,” said Asheville climate scientist Jake Crouch, lead author of the NCDC report, “State of the Climate,” that includes a focus on precipitation in 180 selected areas across the U.S.

This area saw 51.81 inches of rain this year through July 31, the period over which the study was done.

That came in not far under Hilo’s rainfall of 55.92 inches. and just above San Juan, Puerto Rico, the third wettest study area with 50.26 inches.

Heavy local rainfall had already made this July the wettest on record for that month and will almost certainly mean 2013 will be the wettest year on record for this area, Crouch said.

The study’s measurement for this area was made at the Asheville Regional Airport. Like the other sites surveyed, it was picked because it is a good measuring stick for a region, the study author said.

“We picked these as kind of representative places around the country,” he said. “We chose the ones that have a long data history.”

It’s not unusual for the Hilo area to be at the top of the chart. That Hawaiian city had a 70.09-inch annual average from 1981-2010.

But here, annual rainfall is on average 27.21 inches, making the area normally 38th out of the 180 other areas.

This year, the mountains leapt to second place because of storms that sent down 24.6 inches over the norm. The region actually had the biggest departure in the country in terms of extra rain.
Effects of the precipitation ranged from annoying, with knee-high grass springing up seemingly overnight in yards and water pooling in basements - to dangerous with floods and landslides.

In Black Mountain, the rain meant canceled July 4 fireworks, flooding downtown, and collapsing portions of roads, Town of Black Mountain Public Works Director Jamey Matthews said.

“(We’ve had) damage to old existing culverts that could not handle the amount of water that was produced in a short amount of time by some of the storms we have had,” Matthews said.

As for variation around the mountains, Crouch acknowledged that this region is one of the hardest to lump together. In North Carolina, normally the wettest area is in Transylvania County, while the driest area is downtown Asheville.

In the Valley, rainfall was even heavier than at the airport and varied greatly from spot to spot, according to NCDC measurements. In Black Mountain there was 57 inches with 59.9 inches in the North Fork Valley and 71.2 inches in Montreat.

Heavy rains throughout the region means this year will almost certainly break the annual record set in 1973 with 64.91 inches.

Adding the rain through August 13, this area has had 56.93 inches, Crouch said.
“So, we are about eight inches shy of having the wettest year on record,” he said.

As for the cause, the study author said climate change is likely behind it.
“One of the working hypotheses of what is going to happen when the climate is changing - and this is what we are kind of seeing - is more rainfall with singular events,” he said.

On the other end of the spectrum, droughts will be drier and more prolonged, he said.
That will also make it tough to predict seasonal weather, forecasting, for example, whether a summer will be wet or dry, he said. But one thing that will likely result are greater extremes, Crouch said.

“So, when it is wet, it will be wetter. And places where it is dry, it will be drier.”

Nation's second-wettest place? RIGHT HERE! | The Asheville Citizen-Times | citizen-times.com

Old 08-22-2013, 05:47 AM

4,810 posts, read 5,434,536 times
Our fireworks were canceled also in Hiawassee, but we saw some at Brasstown Resort instead during a short lull in the rain.

I can really see a difference in the landscape. The woods seem denser this year - they look more impenetrable. Sometimes I think it looks like the landscape is going to eat us.

Sort of creepy.

The upside is the drastically lower temperatures, but I'm sick of rain.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:08 AM

When I went out to get the newspaper this morning, I noticed a group of 3 mushrooms have popped up in my lawn ! Geesh.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:39 AM

442 posts, read 1,293,763 times
Up here in Madison County we have banana trees that are producing BANANAS! (Usually they are just ornamental). Of course, we began the grading of our home site in early June and it hasn't stopped raining since - our grader got more work done the first five days he was onsite than the whole next eight weeks! We are ready for a nice dry Fall and I saw a wooly caterpillar that was brown all over - no black stripes means a mild winter, don'tcha know!

Old 08-22-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
Up here in Madison County we have banana trees that are producing BANANAS! (Usually they are just ornamental). Of course, we began the grading of our home site in early June and it hasn't stopped raining since - our grader got more work done the first five days he was onsite than the whole next eight weeks! We are ready for a nice dry Fall and I saw a wooly caterpillar that was brown all over - no black stripes means a mild winter, don'tcha know!

Gives new meaning to: "going bananas" with all this rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina