Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:54 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,249 times

Advertisements

Per usual Locust trees are turning brown and dropping leaves and some others are dropping leaves here and there maybe a bit early. As I look out to ridge across the valley still pretty much a sea of green....jungle like green. We have smaller trees bowed over from the leader growth wonder if they will straighten out? We have two cherry trees in front of deck that we spent days pruning this year and now are blocking view again probably 4 feet of growth. There are weeds that must be 12 feet tall! Lots of color on the ground Joe Pye, Iron weed, Goldenrod, Queen Anne's lace, Chicory, so many beautiful late summer/fall wildflowers in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 08:45 AM

Update on my post yesterday...
Went down to the meadow area to check on our apple trees and really looked at other trees and more changes than I realized. Yellowing begining on many of them, even a small bit of red showing on some maples. Overall still green but MotorDavid is right yellow and some browning creeping in and leaves dropping.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:25 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,108 times
It seems WAY early this year. After mowing yesterday, I needed to rake my driveway. Mostly maple leaves, but there are others in the mix. Many seem to have mottled brown blotches ... probably mold.

And I also found THIS the other day. No ... I did not insert that pine needle. It must've been driven there by the wind, and it went right through one of the moldy spots.

Nature can be so weird!

Old 08-31-2013, 04:39 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
It seems WAY early this year. After mowing yesterday, I needed to rake my driveway. Mostly maple leaves, but there are others in the mix. Many seem to have mottled brown blotches ... probably mold.

And I also found THIS the other day. No ... I did not insert that pine needle. It must've been driven there by the wind, and it went right through one of the moldy spots.

Nature can be so weird!

Was that you taking pictures in my yard again

I have the same problem with my maples; landscaper said it is a Fungus Amongus. So he spread Scott's fungus control stuff over the entire yard and lawn. Can hardly see the mulch under my trees, the leaves have fallen like snow. Yuck.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:34 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Was that you taking pictures in my yard again
OMG, I thought I had anchored pretty well to my cable dish, but with the way the high tide's been fluctuating this year, maybe I drifted too far?
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I have the same problem with my maples; landscaper said it is a Fungus Amongus. So he spread Scott's fungus control stuff over the entire yard and lawn. Can hardly see the mulch under my trees, the leaves have fallen like snow. Yuck.
Hmm, mine told me it was Fungus Surroundous. I've been using Tinactin

Old 09-03-2013, 01:31 PM

45 posts, read 159,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
I don't have many trees in my yard but I do have a pretty ornamental cherry and the leaves changed to yellow with spots and all the leaves fell off - IN JULY !!!

My ACE guy said it was "wet feet" and was common among ornamentals

Oh well ... there's always next year.
I have a hybrid dogwood that has re-bloomed again. It has 1" berries on it rather than the typical red berry on dogwoods. And this is August. Must be a late bloomer. Or perhaps it is getting a head start for next year. It makes mowing interesting. The berries have a sweet wine aroma. Just wish that the moles and voles would eat them.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:34 PM

Wish something would eat voles!

Old 09-05-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Wish something would eat voles!

An old timer told me several years ago to buy some dried deer urine -- you have to go to an old time hardware or agricultural feed store or call around and see who carries it, and that works. There are also some sort of "electronic" wave emitters that come on a thin steel stake that work pretty well too. (Lowe's / Home Depot etc.) You stick 'em in the ground and they work pretty well too.

Just don't chain a deer to a post in your yard.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:13 AM

I'm going to change threads.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
I'm going to change threads.

Yes, good idea, as we are going off topic. There is a Garden thread on the CD main forum page that I've visited, some very knowledgeable folks on there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina