Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 06:15 PM

252 posts, read 474,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noctiluca View Post
I don't mean to add to anyone's anxiety...Also,this week a coyote attacked a *leashed* dog being walked on Warren Wilson College's popular River trail.
This just raised my anxiety level! I walked this trail on Saturday with my dog, my very shy, gentle dog. Is the dog who was attacked ok? Do you know if the coyote was provoked? Do you know the time of day? Details, noctiluca, details!! ;-) if you don't mind..yes, anxious. I adore that trail...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 PM

221 posts, read 461,809 times
I love that trail, too, and no the dog is not okay. The incident was posted to Facebook by a couple hiking groups I belong to, with not much more detail than I gave to you. This is what the posts said:

(WARNING) Asheville trail report: This morning on a trail near Warren Wilson College, a (leashed) dog was attacked (and killed) by a coyote. Be careful out there!

TO PEOPLE WHO HIKE ON THE WWC RIVER TRAIL (OR IF YOU HAVE FRIENDS WHO DO)- A local woman was walking her dog this morning, on a leash, in broad daylight, when her dog was attacked ON THE LEASH by a coyote which ended up killing the dog! Thankfully another hiker heard the commotion and scared off the coyote before it turned on the woman... BUT PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!

This morning I overheard a woman who apparently knows the other hiker talking about the incident, and she said it was the River trail at 8am. Bears and coyotes are seen occasionally on those trails, but that is a particularly well-used trail and it was broad daylight. Again, I'm sorry to issue warnings when others are trying to be reassuring about wildlife in this area, but apparently we all need to be especially careful this season.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:57 AM

That's heartbreaking. And scary. But its really good to know & be aware something like that could happen. Thanks for filling in a few lines. Poor dog. And how traumatic that must have been for the owner. I'd be a total wreck.

Strange no one picked this up as a news story.

I remember a news story about a 12 yr old boy in Nova Scotia, walking home from school one day. His house sat on top of a hill with a long drive. As he got closer to the house, he saw a large pack of wolves stand in a circle, all looking at him like he was their next tasty dinner.

He pulled out his walkman and blasted some rock song at full volume, and just kept walking towards them. They scattered.

This stuck with me & I bring it up now, because it seems wild animals are easily scared by loud sounds that don't make sense. So I wonder if I were walking my dog and we crossed paths with a coyote or a bear, would my loud whistle be enough to scare it off?

Old 10-04-2013, 06:06 AM

2,595 posts, read 2,288,096 times
motordavid,
Thank you for all the great information. I never thought about shooting in the dark when you can't see your target. I would be very responsile and take all the classes. I would also go to target practice, because if I'm not a good shot my weapon could be turned against me.
After reading about this poor dog attack I want to carry a handgun when I'm walking on a trail. I'm not taking any chances with my pet. This would just destroy me to watch my pet mauled.
Donna

Old 10-04-2013, 06:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
I would be wary killing a bear out of hunting season.
N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission > Hunting > Seasons & Limits > 2012-13 Bear Seasons

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/...Local_Laws.pdf

Old 10-04-2013, 07:11 AM

4,789 posts, read 10,608,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
motordavid,
Thank you for all the great information. You are welcome...process to purchase is easy. Process to Carry is a couple day commitment. Process to become very familiar with weapons, shooting, etc. is an ongoing effort, or it should be, imo.
I never thought about shooting in the dark when you can't see your target. I was being slightly facetious but one should be at least comfortable in how to get your weapon 'out', get safety off, aim and fire, if it comes down to defending your life in your home. And that may occur in the dark. Fwiw, the odds of that horrible event happening are about the same as winning the lotto.
I would be very responsible and take all the classes. I would also go to target practice, because if I'm not a good shot my weapon could be turned against me. Well thought out; practice, practice, practice, if one wants to own and esp carry a weapon, imo.

After reading about this poor dog attack I want to carry a handgun when I'm walking on a trail. I'm not taking any chances with my pet. This would just destroy me to watch my pet mauled.
Not to downplay the poor dog incident, but it happens everyday in some fashion, all over the US & CDA. It is rare for a 'Yote to be out/attack in daylight, and esp when the dog was supposedly on a leash, held by owner. Yotes are usually very wary of humans, esp at close range. There may be more to the story, or the anecdote is simply an anomaly. In FL, people get their midgey dogs chased by/eaten by gators regularly; doesn't mean people stop walking the dog, or have to 'carry' to do so. Don't get too sensitized to these 'wild animal' stories. I saw Mr Black Bear this morning on my usual walk up the Mtn. I had not taken my G21. And, didn't even pull out my boat horn. He was more interested in the pile of acorns under the big red oak. I was wary and careful, but it was not a confrontation. This is not the African Savannah...
Donna
GL, mD

Old 10-04-2013, 08:47 AM

2,595 posts, read 2,288,096 times
sunnykyack,
I would not ever kill a bear unless he charged me. I would just make a lot of noise and hopefully scare him away. I don't want to hurt any animal.
Motordavid, as you know I live in Chicago. I live across the street from the Lincoln Park Zoo. We have had coyotes runnning in groups surround people and their small dogs. This is usually in the early morning. I guess when they are hungry enough they will attack.
I am grateful for this thread because I would rather be aware of the possible danger than be blindsided. I will definately carry some kind of weapon, maybe pepper spray, in case a coyote decides to attack my pet. I am like a momma bear, I will fight to the death for my cubs.

This happened right across the street from me.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/12/...-lincoln-park/

Old 10-04-2013, 07:06 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,510,742 times
Down State Street amazing! More fearful of coyotes than the bears.Wonder if coyote was rabid a daylight attack with a person close most unusual. Does make you think of carrying air horn or better yet spray as a deterrent. Although we own guns and I know how to shoot I feel no need to conceal carry, personal choice.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:56 AM

279 posts, read 533,980 times
Rabies is pretty easy to spot. Stiff tails.

I'm in Fletcher, and the Coyotes here have obviously bred with dogs. I think it makes them smarter and unafraid of humans. People who don't spay and neuter are a huge part of this problem.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:53 AM

I'm beginning to think the coyote story is fishy. I saw the facebook post, noctiluca, so I'm not calling you a liar or anything. Not at all!! But this would be newsworthy if it were true. Not a word of it anywhere but that facebook posting. When I was there a week ago, on the community board at the trailhead, there was a picture of a missing German Shepard. It had run off while on the trail in Sept. Who knows, maybe it was that dog who attacked the leashed dog, or something, and they thought it was a coyote because it was acting crazy. And they've never seen a coyote before. I'll go back to the trail and if its true, surely there would be a notice on that same board, warning of a killer coyote on the loose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina