Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:42 AM

48 posts, read 76,749 times

Advertisements

Has there been any sightings where you are?
I've seen three in the past week. 2 in my back yard and 1 by ingles.

Is there anyway to keep them away? I ask because we have 2 small dogs and a cat, sadly my neighbors cat was mauled. I'm not trying to shoot a bear but my dogs are more important.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 10:38 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
This site has good options.

Bear Deterrents | www.bearsmart.com

Old 09-20-2013, 10:41 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
They are most active right now as they are enjoying the spoils of summer and gearing up for lack of food in winter. Don't put out bird feeders or trash and don't leave your dogs out unattended. They tend to leave you alone if you leave them alone.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:46 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
We have one of our local bears wander up on/climb up on our deck, perusing our bird feeder and any left over scattered seed. He/she comes anytime of day it chooses. It often scales one of the 8"x8" 25+ foot vertical deck support posts, like it's climbing a tree, as in adroitly.

Lately, several rounds from my pellet pistol, (none penetrating), get its attention and have recently reduced the visits. The noise from the pellet pistol gets their attention...if that doesn't work I can go to my Mossberg pistol grip 12 ga. or my Glock 21 .45 ACP, (which I occasionally carry on my daily morning walk up the mtn).

I am not looking to shoot the bear, but I like the noise even a pellet pistol makes...and if push came to shove, I would use my .45 to defend my life against a bear, after a warning shot or two.

Obvious stuff is no outside trash cans, take bird feeders in at dusk, etc. But, there is no foolproof method of keeping them 'away' no matter where one lives. They are wide ranging, 'route salesmen', with excellent memory of their range, opportunists, and packing on the calories this time of year for the upcoming colder, sparser winter months.

We have had cats, (they spend all day outside), since we have been here, and they are quicker than the bear for escape. Big dogs tend to ward them off, but smaller dogs may be less effective and more vulnerable.

Coyotes, Otoh, have nearly gotten our cats, and are masters at stalking cats or small dogs, vs a bear that tends to lumber in. No easy answer or quick fix, imo.
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 09-20-2013 at 10:56 AM..

Old 09-20-2013, 12:29 PM

2,595 posts, read 2,289,729 times
It's a really bad idea to let cats outside unattended.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:48 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
It's a really bad idea to let cats outside unattended.
They were our cats; we had two in NY, both were outside 18+ hrs a day, sometimes longer in summer.
Both lived to be 20 yrs+.

Two cats here on the mtn: both outside except for sleeping on us, unattended, both lived into their 20s.

Imo, when cats are young and learn to be/like it outside, they do fine.

Ours never learned to 'go outside on a leash' or have us 'attend them'...

Like raising kids, everyone has opins and advice on how to do it with their pets.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:57 PM

These would be a good option.

cat enclosure - Google Search

Old 09-20-2013, 03:24 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Nope, definitely not an option in the mountains.

Ever see a bear claw his way into an RV, or a house ? or a tent ?, or anything he wants to get into bad enough.

You don't enclose animals around here, making them easy prey, unless you are inviting wild animals to have them for dinner.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:47 PM

48 posts, read 76,749 times
Thanks for the links guys but I'm more worried about the dogs then anything else. I don't have any bird feeders and trash gets locked up in the garage til trash day (tues) but they're still coming around.

Last night I had to watch out for the dog because there was one on the other side of the field behind the house. Tried scaring it a way by dry firing my .22 break-barrel pellet rifle and it just got closer. I went and got my .338 remington 700 and then it decided to run off. On our way out this morning to go to craggy gardens there was another one chilling in a tree on the other side of the street.

Like I said I'm not trying to kill it but my dogs are like my kids you know.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:00 PM

QC,
This doesn't sound like a safe place to live if bears are wandering the backyards. What do people do for protection? I don't want to look out my window and see a bear staring back at me. Is this a problem all the time or just certain seasons? Do I need to learn to shoot a gun? I don't want to have to kill a bear.
Donna
Thanks for the reply about the cat enclosures. I never thought that could happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina