Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 08:36 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucler View Post
Exactly. They do not need a warrant nor any reason what so ever to stop you in your car and ask for papers. In New York they stop you on the side walk with no warrant. People accept this, most praise this.....for the life of me I can't understand it, never have. If it is safety they want, the surest way to that ultimate safety is warrantless searches of your home. Don't tell me thats going to far, we would never allow that.........I've lived long enough to know that you never say never.
Stop and frisk ruled unconstitutional by federal judge.

In NC as everywhere else, your constitutional rights are in affect at any checkpoint. You do not have to answer any questions, you do not have to submit to a search of your person or car, and you are not required to exit your car. Your movement cannot be curtailed unless you are being detained, ie. arrested.

Police routinely violate these constitutional rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 02:25 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
I'm with tucler and mlhm5 on this checkpoint situ.
Having lived in metro NY/NJ for 3 decades, night time road checkpoints, (esp weekend nights), were common.
Never got nabbed, even though I might have had 'more than one drink'.

While I have deep disregard for drunk driving, many checkpoints do little to catch DDs or even discourage it. Almost every story of 'checkpoints' results in a litany of petty crap caught, over the course of hundreds of 'stops'.

The Sheeple in the US have simply come to accept any and all 'police activity' in the name of/defense of 'terrorism', etc.

Not anti-cop: I have 5 very good friends that are retired Leos, ranging from an MP Major to NYC Detectives to MI State cop to local cop. All good friends; not sure about the cop part, and the stories they have are remarkable in terms of sweeping up the regular citizens while casting the broader net for the really bad guys.
GL, mD

Old 09-30-2013, 07:58 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,966,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucler View Post
If one has done nothing wrong or if no heinous crime has been committed in the area for which they are looking for the perpetrator, they should not be stopping you. If you want to stop crime then allow unannounced inspections of your home. Giving up some freedom for safety denies you both in the future.
privacy of your home does not equal public roads.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:02 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,966,853 times
for the record, I have no problem with checkpoints. 30 seconds of my time to show them that I am licensed to drive in the state of NC, and I'm on my way. Ive never been asked to a consent for a search, and if I was, I would decline per my rights.

If it catches people they are looking for, or drunk drivers, then I'm fine with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina