Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 04:53 PM

60 posts, read 197,948 times

Advertisements

Hi, wanting to get info on Morganton. I heard that schools (Burke Co.) in this area are really good for a child with autism. Has anyone heard if Hillcrest Elem. or New Dimensions Schools are good?

Also,an idea of quality of life as well, family life, things to do, weather etc.

What are the best areas to live in, neighborhoods with young children in range of $275,000 and under?

What areas are in danger of flooding? Heard can be bad.

Also, How long does it take to drive to Asheville from Morganton?

Any info appreciated!!

yma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 07:04 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,758,918 times
Morganton is fifty miles from Asheville. One hour should do the trip on an average day. Morganton has a wonderful weather pattern. It is protected by the mountains. I have heard it referred to as a "mountain shadow" community. Lightening can get pretty serious at times but it isn't too cold in the winter or too hot in the summer.
The foothills offer a wide variety of outdoor activities.
Sorry, cannot help you with the school or neighborhood info. Good luck.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:46 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times
I lived in the town for a few years back in the 90's. It is an excellent place to live. However, rainfall can be a bit annoying to get, due to the 'rain shadow' effect of the mountains. Burke county does in fact have wonderful schools, and fairly low crime rates. I really have never heard of any 'bad neighborhoods' in Morganton. Most of the city is comprised of transplants from Northern states, as well as a few retirees from all around the country.

I would not worry too much about flooding. The area is fairly hilly which makes it difficult to flood anyway. Asheville is not too far away either, about an hour or so of a trip.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

Old 11-17-2007, 10:49 PM

51 posts, read 191,119 times
I was reading a post on another forum and this same topic came up about a school in Morganton for autism. The one they referred to was Signature Studio XI (Signature Studio XI Art Program and Gallery) in partnership with the J. Iverson Riddle Development Center (JIRDC Home). Hope this helps.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:56 PM

18 posts, read 65,777 times
My husband worked out off I-40 exit 100 Jamestown Rd., this runs over to hwy 181. The guys my husband worked with told him that that area flooded a few years back. There is a dam somewhere close by. Thats all I have heard of flooding except when a tropical storm came through and washed out some bridges in South Mountain State Park and on the blue ridge pkwy there were some road closures. By the way South Mountain State Park is a wonderful place to hike, camp and have a family gathering, still in Burke county, I was married outside their. I will see what else I can find out about the schools. We moved away from here for about five year to the North Carolina Coast. We are so happy to be back home. We live in the east side of Burke county and love it because we are 15 minutes to Hickory, 15 minutes to Lenoir and Morganton. We have views of Grandfather Mountain and Table Rock when we are driving to town and access to Lake Rhodhiss and Lake Hickory, 35 miles and you can be on the Blue Ridge Parkway via Blowing Rock. We live in Connellys Springs. Valdese is 4 miles away as is the Hospital. Check out Valdese, Full of history. My 4 year old is at Ray Childers Elementary Pre-K and is getting help with speech through the school system. My 3 year old is on the Bust'r bus and is getting help with speech and developmental screenings through the school system a program called exceptional children and I will get that info for you (a name and Number). They found that my children were not hearing properly and one has had surgery and the other goes next week. I think they are great. They work hard to help children learn to their potenial and assist in anyway they can.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:02 AM

18 posts, read 65,777 times
to answer you question about the schools here are two links:

http://www.schoolsnoop.com/Schools.asp?County=BURKE%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%2 0%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20& State=NC]BURKE County NC Public Schools (broken link)

Go down below counties and click on Hillcrest School

Official Web Site of Burke County, North Carolina » Links (http://co.burke.nc.us/links/ - broken link)

Go down to schools and New Dimensions Charter School is listed there

Plus there is other Burke county information that would be useful

Burke County Public Schools

put your curser over the schools tab and then to other: Family connections , Pre-school and North Liberty School which is a school within the Burke School System for children with special needs.

Good Luck

Last edited by mm34b; 11-27-2007 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: Repaired hyperlink.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:54 PM

Thanks so much for the info!

Old 11-30-2007, 06:26 PM

Where are the nice family oriented neighborhoods for a home in the mid 250- 275 home range? We would want good schools,safe, and a traditional 2 story home. What schools are considered best?

Is living in the downtown area safe?

amy

Old 12-13-2007, 04:07 PM

7 posts, read 41,207 times
Default morgantons awsome!!!

I live in Morganton. Its a great place to raise a family. Our school system is the best for disabled children in western north carolina. Your child will be perfect here.

Things to do.......well besides going down town, out to eat, or nature activeties there not much to do in Morganton. Good thing we live near three big cities: Asheville(about an hour away), charlotte (about 2 hours away), and hickory ( about 30 minutes away). personaly, I go to hickory because they have the most things to do and its the closest.

I almost forgot every friday during spring and summer there is a concert and food at the concert down town. Also we have a new six plex movie theater!!!

With 200 grand you can by a house about any were in morganton. There are a lot of new housing developements going up for families and retire people but there not near town (about 10 meanutes away). If you want one in town it probably will be a older house but with that kind of money youll be able to afford it. all these neighbor hoods are pretty safe. In Morganton you can live about any were and not see any crime. I think there was like 2 robberies in the whole town last year.

No, theres not that much flooding here at all. Ive lived here my whole life(21 years) and have only seen about 3 major floods.

p.s. were a pretty slow paced southern town (lots of hillbillies), so if you come here dont get frustrated or argumentative about the people that live here or the things they do. To some people we may not always look or sound the smartest, but well be nice, and considerate if you are. try to blend into the culture. good luck

Old 12-18-2007, 07:31 PM

Default School question?

Icecold,

What schools do you think are the best? What do you think the pros/ cons of living downtown as opposed to out some.

No prob, about the southern vibe, I'm a southern girl living in a city where you are stared at for talking to strangers. I talk to everyone!

Thanks for the info,

Yma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina