U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-01-2013, 06:22 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,291,914 times
Default New tax changes for 2014

I just read about the new tax changes that were passed in NC, and I'm trying to learn about what the total income and sales taxes are for the city of Asheville in Buncombe county. It appears that the state income tax will be flat at 5.75%.

What is the total sales tax in Asheville on: groceries and prescription meds starting in 2014? On non-food and non-meds items?

Are there local and county taxes for Asheville as well as state sales taxes on most items?

Thanks!

Last edited by xz2y; 10-01-2013 at 06:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 01:24 PM

428 posts, read 224,656 times
Key changes in N.C. tax policy | CharlotteObserver.com

I found that Googling..... interesting way to find info online. I hope this helps.

bullie~

Old 10-08-2013, 10:57 AM

15 posts, read 11,615 times
Good info on the link provided by bullie62. However, the amount of sales taxes on groceries in Buncombe county is not answered with this link. We are interested in this info too. We have "googled" and can't find it.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:07 AM

1,954 posts, read 2,764,527 times
NC Sales Tax Rates by City

To answer another of the the OP's questions, in North Carolina, there is no local or county income tax, only state.

Another link for NC sales tax info.

Groceries are taxed at 2.0% statewide.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:15 PM

Not sure what constitutes "personal property" that is taxed in NC beyond vehicles. Things like boats? Furniture? Cars are subject to personal property taxes in NC. The article below doesn't itemize.

Types of Property to be Taxed

Found a good article on how groceries are taxed in Asheville. It's complicated. Especially when you look at the difference between roasted nuts (full sales tax of 7%) vs raw nuts (grocery tax of 2%).

Sales Tax: Not Simple | Cooperative Grocer Network

Excerpt from above link:
"Recently, Republican legislative leaders began pushing to instate an 8 percent rate on groceries (up 6 percent from the current 2 percent) to help recoup lost income taxes. "

Yikes!

Old 10-08-2013, 01:00 PM

2,326 posts, read 2,698,767 times
Personal property taxes vary slightly from county to county; here in Haywood County the following vehicles are taxed at a 'market value', which during the 12 yrs I have lived here are quite reasonable in valuation:
motorcycles, motorhomes, boats, boat motors, boat trailers and travel trailers.

http://www.haywoodnc.net/downloads/T...uessched13.pdf

I rec'd looking up one's individual County gov site: most are very informative.

Taxes are taxes; every state has some brand/level of revenue gathering. They all spend more than we send them, and they all want more every year. Gov't @ 'work', imo.
GL, mD

Old 10-08-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post

Taxes are taxes; every state has some brand/level of revenue gathering. They all spend more than we send them, and they all want more every year. Gov't @ 'work', imo.
GL, mD
Yes, every state will try to get more $$ from residents. I thought it was interesting that NC tried to raise the sales tax on food so much higher (from 2% to 8%). I'm glad that increase was defeated this time around, as was the proposal to tax social security benefits, but those may not be off the table in the future. One way or another, states will collect their taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: