Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 07:17 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,761,033 times

Advertisements

I see below there is a thread on voter fraud in Boone. The fraud is in Asheville and was committed by someone that had no intention of uploading the state constitution which he swore an oath to do. If it isn't fraud perhaps it is ignorance but if your job is DIRECTLY controlled by the constitution and you decide to go against it until AFTER you are told otherwise, then I suggest you get a different job.

He could have been far less a wuss just to go ahead and issue marriage licenses to same sex couples and play dumb until caught. Otherwise it's a stunt. Because, believe it or not, this official could have asked this question after the law changed or I DON'T KNOW BEFORE HE BREAKS IT. But he wants to be a rebel with a safety card because no elected official working directly under the constitution should be expected to understand it. He probably doesn't even know how to unlock his offices door.

Asheville official ready to say yes to same-sex marriage licenses | CharlotteObserver.com

Be glad he's not the sheriff or he might start confiscating guns until someone explained the 2nd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 08:31 PM

318 posts, read 628,600 times
Huh?

Old 10-14-2013, 08:54 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,747,285 times

Old 10-14-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDavid View Post
Huh?
The register of deeds is saying that he is going to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples, put them and them put them on hold until he hears back from the attorney general. In other words, the very simple part of our constitution is something that he is not clear on. Or he's playing a game.

He also incorrectly asserts that gay people cannot marry in North Carolina.

Regardless of his, yours or my opinions on the issues and effects here, he has sworn an oath to uphold the constitution and now basically is saying that a fundamental part of his job is not understood by him.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:40 PM

He also incorrectly asserts that gay people cannot marry in North Carolina.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

North Carolina does not legally recognize any same-sex union, including civil unions and same-sex marriages. A state constitutional amendment was voted into effect on May 8, 2012, banning same-sex unions and defining marriage between a man and a woman as the only valid "domestic legal union" in the state.[1][2] Before passage, state law had already restricted marriage to a man and woman in statute §51‑1.2.[3] The constitutional amendment bans not only same-sex marriage but civil unions.[4] Some cities in the state recognize both same-sex and opposite-sex domestic partnerships. According to 2010 census data, there were 228,000 North Carolina couples in domestic partnerships and 12 percent of those were same-sex couples.[1][5]

Old 10-14-2013, 09:42 PM

Dude you are killing me!!!

Old 10-14-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corso1834 View Post
Dude you are killing me!!!
What is this nonsense? How does what I posted conflict with that Wikipedia article?

Old 10-14-2013, 10:03 PM

I will give you the benefit of the doubt....maybe it was a typo.

You should have wrote; He also correctly asserts that gay people cannot marry in North Carolina.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:09 PM

Or:
He also incorrectly asserts that gay people can marry in North Carolina?

Old 10-14-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corso1834 View Post
Or:
He also incorrectly asserts that gay people can marry in North Carolina?
No. No typo. My goal isn't to discuss whether gay people can marry in North Carolina. If you want to believe they cannot then OK. If you wish to debate it then the better forum is the parent to this one and not Western North Carolina unless there is a law in Asheville that says gay people can't marry that supersedes our constitution.

Again, that issue aside my beef is someone playing a game with the constitution as an elected official. He is the executor of marriage licenses. It is his business to know the law. He isn't a lawmaker who is voting on something he agrees with coming out of committee. HE IS THE ONE THAT CARRIES OUT THE LAW.

Jeff Thigpen has been mentioned in the forums as being someone who announced his support for same sex marriage. I like him very much (Guilford County). But when these activists came to him (and Durham) he did not break the law. He did not pretend to not understand or all of a sudden have amnesia for a law he's been respecting for a year (and ultimately the will of the citizens). He politely refused and they politely sued him. Fair enough. Jeff then immediately sent out a letter of support and posted his thoughts on facebook. There literally was not enough time for this to happen after the opening of the office that day. Do I have a problem with that? NO. The people elected him to carry out the law and they also support him politically which is fine. Let him use his office to foster support for SSM. That's 100% cool with me.

So you know I don't like it the way one person does it and I like it the way another one does it. That doesn't show where I stand on the issue. But it shows that I respect the one that respects his oath. This person in Asheville could do everything else except issue the license. For that, I'd like to see him thrown out of office if not in to jail.

But to cut you some slack in my OP I state (or infer) that the letter of the law is what I think an elected official should follow. If he does not understand this after a year then he needs to go work someplace else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina