Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 12:50 AM

758 posts, read 2,287,725 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone!

As Bill and I were having a meal today at around 5:00 or 6:00 P.M. (well before dark), we heard a number of gunshots. We are located off Highway 191 about four minutes west of downtown Hendersonville.

What are we hearing? Is it turkey season? Where are the hunters we hear (sound can travel a long way)? Are those rifles or shotguns or what? What will they do with their catch? How do you eat a turkey full of gunshot?

Forgive me, please, if this post seems absurd to you. We know nothing about hunting. We just wonder what all the gunshots were about....

Jan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 05:15 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
Hi Parkies, I know nothing about hunting either thank goodness but just thought of a possibility. . . could it be a close by shooting range?

Old 11-20-2007, 07:54 AM

168 posts, read 691,512 times
Jan, according to ncwildlife.org...there are a number of "seasons" going on at this time...deer, squirrel, rabbit, quail, etc...quite a few of them opened on Saturday. Although, I've never eaten a wild turkey, my father brought home quite a few rabbits during my childhood...the answer is, you pick out the shot when you dress (skin) the meat...never developed a taste for rabbit, but serve me a good venision BBQ sandwich and I'm game! (pun intended!)

Old 11-20-2007, 08:40 AM

442 posts, read 1,509,563 times
Jan - You are most likely hearing deer hunters. If there is public land near you - hunters are allowed to use it - If you guys go out for a walk, wear an orange hat or vest - we have neighbors in Wisconsin - near our cabin that have lost two dogs during hunting season. For the most part I have found hunters to be conservationists who care about the land and safety is foremost on their minds but there are also plenty of irresponsible hunters who shoot first and then realize too late that it wasn't a deer but a dog. -Liz

Old 11-20-2007, 09:06 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
When I lived in Vermont I lived on 50 acres, all posted "No Trespassing" I had a dog-Kodiak that looked like a small black bear. Hunters came on the property and shot my beloved dog. So yes, be careful.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:14 AM

758 posts, read 2,287,725 times
Oh my. Thank you all for the insights. I'm sorry to hear about losing pets to hunters!

Wait. Did you say it's SQUIRREL season? People eat squirrels?? I'm bringing our white squirrel "Sugar" inside! Or are white squirrels protected here in H'ville as they are in Brevard??? (BTW, my dentist said he has white squirrels, too, here in H'ville.)

We're wondering if it gets cold enough here for squirrels to lay up nuts for the winter, presumably in the ground. One day I'm going to read a book about squirrels.... I just love 'em!!!

Old 11-20-2007, 10:46 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Squirrel Recipes

Old 11-20-2007, 10:47 AM

653 posts, read 2,705,464 times
It's also a tradition to go hunting on Thanksgiving, so don't be surprised if you hear some gunshots on Thursday morning. The majority of the hunting right now is for deer. For some, deer season is bigger than Christmas (e.g. my uncle). The hunters could be using rifles or shotguns (typically rifle) since bow and arrow and muzzle loading has already closed. Deer season closes in the west on December 8, but can be extended.

North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission - Hunting/Trapping (link to season dates)

Old 11-20-2007, 12:27 PM

442 posts, read 1,509,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Thanks for the laugh mm34b - you are the best!!!

Old 11-20-2007, 12:27 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
I use to give my grandfather a hard time for hunting squirrel. I would say something like wouldnt just trying to knock one down with a rock be more of a sport than using a gun. hehe
He taught me how to do a squirrel call with my mouth. I cannot do it now or it hurts my jaw.
He however hunt flying squirrel and come back and have my grandmother make us some squirrel stew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
Oh my. Thank you all for the insights. I'm sorry to hear about losing pets to hunters!

Wait. Did you say it's SQUIRREL season? People eat squirrels?? I'm bringing our white squirrel "Sugar" inside! Or are white squirrels protected here in H'ville as they are in Brevard??? (BTW, my dentist said he has white squirrels, too, here in H'ville.)

We're wondering if it gets cold enough here for squirrels to lay up nuts for the winter, presumably in the ground. One day I'm going to read a book about squirrels.... I just love 'em!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina