Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 03:12 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
No I can't', only based on actual experience having skied NC off and on for 39 years. I welcome you to prove otherwise.
Sorry, but I didn't make a claim. It's not up to me to disprove your statement. I merely asked if you could back up what you stated as "fact."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 08:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Sugar Mountain has just opened, and next winter they will open a new slope that will be 2000 ft long, drops off the dog leg of Northridge and Switchback.
The blue square, intermediate level rated slope features a variety of changing terrain.
Just off Switchback is a short steep section. It then gently transitions to a flat cruiser. From there the slope rolls to a challenging but pleasant steep pitch which eventually levels out to the left and finally merges with Easy Street.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:15 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,338,720 times
I just got back from Sugar yesterday and Friday I skied at Cataloochie. App Ski Mtn. is also planning to open on the 22nd and Beech is suppose to open Thanksgiving weekend. I have to give it to these NC ski resorts. To be able to be open in 50F temps is amazing. I know that this is not the rockies or whatever and they only have 2 to 6 slopes open but what they do with those slopes is crazy! To be able to open in mid November when the ones in Colorado and Utah are opening at the same time is a great accomplishment. For those of us in the deep south that can't afford to hop on a plane out west every weekend in the winter, WNC and WV fits the bill..

Old 11-26-2013, 06:05 AM

Glad you had a good time and look for the positive. NC slopes would love a cold winter but they know this is mild winter state and adapt to at least break even .

Im going to piggyback off your thread and do other slope updates .

Appalachian Ski Mountain plans to open Nov. 27 with nine of its 12 slopes and its ice skating rink ready for business.
Sugar Mountain Resort has already opened five slopes, and Beech Mountain Resort plans to open Friday Nov. 29.
For Ski report click here http://www.city-data.com/forum/weste...p-current.html

Old 11-26-2013, 11:23 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
Unfortunately, it's been raining cats and dogs today in Avery and Watauga counties. But with a serious drop in temp tomorrow night, the ski areas can make up for lost snow-making time pretty quickly - they've had lots of practice dealing with uneven temps and weather.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:36 PM

It looks like the thanksgiving weekend was a smashing success for the NC Wv and Va ski resorts. I think reading that this was the first year that many were able to be open by Thanksgiving. The weather has totally gone downhill however starting today at least here in Atl. With mild temps forecasted through the weekend. Like 70's. Not sure about the temps in NC but I am sure it will be above freezing. Hopefully the second half of Dec. will be more seasonal because the Christmas Holidays is when the season gets into full swing and most trails are open.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:30 PM

78 posts, read 101,729 times
I went to Cataloochee this past Friday to snowboard, so I thought you guys might appreciate a report. Nine trails and three lifts were open. None of the lifts were going all the way to the top of the mountain, so the runs were extremely short. But, it wasn't too crowded, so the lift lines went quickly.

Given my expectations, the conditions were fairly surprising (in a good way). Early on, it was even somewhat snow-y! As the crowds picked up in the afternoon, though, it seemed to get icier and icier. I skidded out on a bad patch...and I'm still hurting.

The rentals were a breeze, and the lodge and amenities are well laid-out. This is, again, probably a function of the moderate-sized crowd, but everything went smoothly. The food in the lodge was mostly standard greasy fare, but I did spy a fruit cup and a bunch of salads, so I give them props for that.

With rentals and ticket (good from 9am - 4pm) I think I spent about 83 bucks. I'm still debating whether or not it was worth it. I grew up skiing and snowboarding in Pennsylvania and Maryland, so my expectations about snow sports in the South are pretty realistic. It was fun, and I love the snow, but discounting the bunny slopes there were really just three short trails. Being 45 minutes from downtown AVL definitely increases its appeal, though. I'm curious to see how it compares to Wolf Laurel, which is even closer to the city, and the resorts near Boone.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:17 PM

I just got back from Beech and I have to say this is the best year I have had in WNC.. Usually I go in January to give the WNC slopes time to get some good powder on the trails. Heading into late December and mid season on the ski slopes I would say they are ahead of this time last year...I did not see much Ice at all on the slopes and the crowds are just now picking up on the trials during mid week I guess the schools are out now for winter break! Later this week I am heading up the the WV ski slopes of winterplace and canaan valley they are suppose to have temps in the 60's by sunday before a cold front sweeps through! I am wondering how they hold up!

Old 12-20-2013, 09:07 AM

I just wanted to update here that Sapphire Valley Ski resort has opened today. This is where I learned to ski as a little kid and I have a lot of memories here. It is the southern most ski resort in the southeast. Just about 35 miles from the Ga. Nc. line they are usually the last to open and first to close. They have a good elevation of 3400Ft they only have 2 trails so this is not a resort for people who have skied the rockies but its a great place for the little ones to learn to ski before heading out to other ski resorts out west or even in WNC or Wv.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:11 AM

Thanks for sharing, they should have waited til Tuesday to open 10 Day Weather Forecast for 28774 - weather.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina