Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 10:27 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,487,214 times

Advertisements

Temps got into the '50's real quick today. The snow at Sugar softened up early, but there's still plenty of snow cover. Gunther's Way was outstanding first thing this morning. Just soft enough to make easy turns, but not sticky. By 11:00 snow was getting a bit sticky... we headed home early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 11:29 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,331,369 times
Aww thanks so much for the updates! I can actually visualize being out there this past weekend. I really really hope the snow holds up this week, here in Atlanta the highs are going to be near 70 all the way through mid December!(yikes) I know the high country is a lot colder than us down in here north Ga. This December is reminding me a lot of last year where the first part was mild but the second half was when the snow and that dang polar vortex started swinging down...so maybe I will be recovered by then and will be able to ski. That's life and times like this I try to always tell myself it could be worse...I am glad you had a great thanksgiving weekend roadpony I will keep in touch this winter for sure!

Old 01-01-2015, 12:19 PM

What a way to start the New Year!!!! After wet and dreary weather early in the week, today was coooold and the guns were on full blast this morning at Sugar. Hubby and I were on the lift at 8:05 and got in several fantastic runs before the mob descended. Northridge, Flying Mile, Gunther's Way and Big Birch were absolute perfection.... groomed to a tee and an inch of dry, new snow (from the guns) on top.

The forecast is calling for above freezing temps and "unseasonable precipitation" this weekend. HOWEVER, cold weather is coming back in next week.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:38 PM

First of all, this has not been a very good winter for me as far as my skiing in concerned. I have been called into work constantly because of the flu bug being so bad this year, not to mention there has been a snow drought in WNC this year. all the snow has been in the Northeast, so much for the 150% above average snowfall for us! that being said, this has been an awesome weekend for real snow at sugar and Ski beech, and I am sure that goes for all the resorts in Tenn, Virginia and West Virginia especially. I am extending my weekend until at least weds, and right now the snow is pouring down! Anyone who loves snow and the sport of skiing knows the excitement I am talking about. If you want to ski now is the time. as we are getting into late Feb the days are getting numbered, but as of right now the conditions are excellent!

Old 02-16-2015, 06:41 PM

395 posts, read 459,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchaser2002 View Post
...I have been called into work constantly because of the flu bug being so bad this year, ...
Off this thread's topic, but I find it interesting and perplexing that I have been hearing more about people getting the flu in the last years than I ever did before the flu vaccine came along.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:22 PM

Ski conditions in the past few days have been a bit icy due to the extremely cold temps and high winds. It doesn't matter how much natural snow is falling or how much grooming they do; if it's really windy, the snow will blow off the slopes and leave hard pack or ice. Be aware and also dress for the cold.... layers and good head covering. When it's extremely cold, be sure to go inside for a quick warm-up every couple of runs.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:07 AM

Well I just wanted to report that if you want to visit Beech or Sugar I would advice to asap, neither has announced any closing date but most elsewhere in the region are closing up the weekend of march 22nd or the 29th. Sapphire valley closed last weekend, wolf ridge closed yesterday and Ober Gatlinburg is closing after the night session at 7pm. It's always sad this time of year, but as I always say the older I get time goes by quicker, it will be 2015-16 ski season in no time at all. Enjoy the last few days of the ski season, there are awesome deals to be had on lift tickets!

Old 10-03-2015, 07:16 AM

Well Happy October everyone! It's ski pre-season finally! The leaves are really beginning to change here in the southeast, and with that comes the thoughts of the upcoming 15-16 ski season. Hopefully with the El-nino this year we will have a lot of moisture to work with and in the higher elevations will mean more snow. That is what they are predicting anyway. Hopefully in 6 weeks some of the WNC resorts will be open! Think snow! Pray snow!

Old 10-04-2015, 09:15 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,239,211 times
I'm in Atlanta, looking to try it for the first time I think Cataloochee and Sapphire Valley are on our radar as the closest ones.

Anyone know when they open? I noticed on Cataloochee.com, it just says "looking forward to November 1".

Sapphire Valley site says their snow tube area is open Thanksgiving.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:10 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,337,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
I'm in Atlanta, looking to try it for the first time I think Cataloochee and Sapphire Valley are on our radar as the closest ones.

Anyone know when they open? I noticed on Cataloochee.com, it just says "looking forward to November 1".

Sapphire Valley site says their snow tube area is open Thanksgiving.
They'll open when it gets cold enough to make snow. Impossible to predict when that will be ahead of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina