U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 06:10 PM

1,034 posts, read 946,243 times

Advertisements

sadly sapphire is doing good to open by December 23rd. now there tubing park could be open a little ahead of that. I remember one year the slopes opened the first week of December but that is really rare. cataloochee on the other hand always seems to pull out the early opening every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 08:15 AM

3,682 posts, read 6,039,804 times
Sugar Mountain is well underway with construction of its new and relocated lifts.

The latest news: Sugar Mountain Resort's New Summit Express - Sugar Mountain Resort

Here are a few pics I took yesterday during Octoberfest:
Attached Thumbnails
How's the skiing in Western NC?-construction.jpg   How's the skiing in Western NC?-new-summit-base-1.jpg   How's the skiing in Western NC?-new-summit-base-2.jpg  

Old 10-12-2015, 10:40 AM

re
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Sugar Mountain is well underway with construction of its new and relocated lifts.

The latest news: Sugar Mountain Resort's New Summit Express - Sugar Mountain Resort

Here are a few pics I took yesterday during Octoberfest:
Thanks for the info and pics Roadpony. Sugar Mtn resort has been working a lot these past few year to improve a lot of things. IMO they are the best resort in the south period. I will be there opening day for for sure maybe I will bump into you...

Old 10-22-2015, 07:45 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,597,574 times
I'm looking at North Carolina Skiing & Snowboarding at Cataloochee Ski Area, Maggie Valley NC and it says
Anytime after November 1, 2015
Stay tuned for opening date for the 2015-16 season!

November 1 is almost here and it's still relatively warm... Guessing it might be a few months before it's ready?

Old 10-22-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
I'm looking at North Carolina Skiing & Snowboarding at Cataloochee Ski Area, Maggie Valley NC and it says
Anytime after November 1, 2015
Stay tuned for opening date for the 2015-16 season!

November 1 is almost here and it's still relatively warm... Guessing it might be a few months before it's ready?
Not necessarily a few months whatsoever... Once sustained sub-freezing temps arrive (3-4 straight days or more) most of the NC ski areas can make enough snow to open in just a few days. All of the ski area managers stay glued to the short- and long-range forecasts to determine when it makes sense to start blowing snow. Sugar is the one I'm most familiar with, and sometimes they'll start blowing a little snow just to get the locals excited, even if it's not enough to actually open.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:21 AM

9,485 posts, read 9,596,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
It just has to be below freezing at night. Daytime temps can be warmish and it's not a problem. Don't know if Cataloochee will make Nov 1st, but almost all of them usually get open by the long Thanksgiving holiday, unless there's just really uncooperative weather. Cataloochee's opening day last year was Nov 2; in 2013 it was Nov 14th.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:01 PM

Well Nov 1st is almost here and it's looking more like Mid November at least before any ski resorts can open any slopes in WNC. From everything I have seen from weather.com to accuweather.com to wxsouth they are saying we are in store for a warm November which has really bummed me out because the last 2 to 3 seasons by the 5th or 6th of the month either Cat or Sugar where open to some extent. But you can't argue with mother nature, and besides they are still predicting a great snowy cold winter for the southeast/mid-atlantic. So think snow, pray snow!!!

Old 11-01-2015, 07:51 AM

For those interested in Sugar Mtn's improvements. they've updated the trail map posted online. It shows the new lift system configuration with Summit Express, Little Gray, and GW Lift.

With the elimination of unloading at mid-station from the old Yellow Lift, it appears the best options for lower level skiers will be Green Lift (Big Birch), Easy Street, and probably Little Gray. I can't tell for sure, but it appears that unloading at 3/4 may also be eliminated, unless they've included that on the new GW Lift.

We're itchin' for cold weather. Hubby picked up his season pass yesterday, and I can't wait to get mine.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I can't tell for sure, but it appears that unloading at 3/4 may also be eliminated, unless they've included that on the new GW Lift.
I checked, and with the new lift configuration, unloading at mid-station or three-quarters is no longer an option on any of the lifts.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:19 AM

Sugar Mtn starting making snow Friday for its ribbon cutting and grand opening of its new high speed detachable lift held yesterday. Sugar "opened" today, but unless one had skis or snowboards they wanted to trash on skimpy (to say the least) snow cover, it was not advisable to go today. Temps are already in the fifties at the summit as I write this. If anyone wants to see snow on Sugar, check out their web cams: Sugar Mountain Web Cams - Sugar Mountain Resort. Not much to see, but we know the "real" ski season can't be too far off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina