U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 04:21 PM

1,034 posts, read 969,669 times

Advertisements

OK southeast skiers get your gear ready! APP Ski MTN is going to open tomorrow Nov 24th. And Cat was open today, and Sugar was as well. I think they will be able to remain open through Thanksgiving at least. The weekend after thanksgiving is going to warm up some, but I think they will be able to hang in there. Beech MTN could also open any day now but according to skisoutheast.com they have not announced a date yet. Up in WV Snowshoe will not open on weds the 25 as advertised which will be the first time I can remember them not having at least 20 to 30 slopes open on opening day. But they will be open thanksgiving day for the dinner and other family activities, just not skiing and snowboarding. THey are making snow though so really I think within the next 10 days they will have some slopes open...gosh I love this time of year. I plan to go to Sugar this Monday after the thanksgiving crowds clear out and get out some first turns of the season. Think snow People!!! Pray for sustained cold temps too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 04:42 PM

3,733 posts, read 6,201,235 times
Sugar opened today and conditions look good for the next few days. They did have a few shake-down issues getting the new express lift going today. Hubby was there at 8:00 sharp, booted up and raring to go. Four hours later, no one had loaded on the lift yet. Hubby came home, and they got it going a little after 1:00. He did say that they were making lots of good snow.

I have to work this week, but look forward to skiing on Thanksgiving Day.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:53 PM

I skied the new express lift today and it's great! A few tips: 1) I'm 5'6" and I had to sort of climb up on the chair; the chairs do sit a little bit higher off the ground than most other lifts. 2) You do have to go uphill just a bit to get into the automatic gates for the lift. However, there's artificial turf, so it's not too bad. Be sure to get right up against the gate so the laser will detect that you're there and open the gate for the next chair. And be careful not to hook a tip on the gates separating each skier waiting to load. 3) At the top, unloading is sooo much easier than the old Yellow Lift. You don't have to trek or skate over to the drop-off to the trail.

I did see that the old Gray Lift now terminates at the previous upper-mid loading station. So it's basically the replacement for the mid-station unloading ramp access to Lower Flying Mile. It's going to be a lot easier for beginners to unload... no steep ramp and not as much uphill climb to get out on the slope.

All in all, today was a great start to the season! But.... weather is not looking too good for the next several days.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:15 PM

14,271 posts, read 15,115,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Sunny, nobody can afford to wait too long.... southern ski areas know that weather is terribly inconsistent. If everybody waited till the weather was a sure thing, then there wouldn't be a ski industry in NC.
It's been a very long time since I skied, but I remember one reason ski resorts in Vermont and New Hampshire opened early was to attract more Season Ticket holders.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:26 AM

1,784 posts, read 2,466,795 times
I saw pics on fb of beech this weekend and it looked beautiful

Old 12-01-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
I saw pics on fb of beech this weekend and it looked beautiful
Unfortunately, we've had several days of rain and unseasonably warm temps. A lot of the snow from last week has washed away. Even though we've got four days coming up with lows in the 20's, the overall 10-day forecast isn't terribly promising. Phooey!

Old 11-21-2016, 01:36 PM

Sugar Mtn. opened today with top to bottom coverage from Northridge down through Lower Flying Mile. The Magic Carpet for beginners is also open. Hubby went and said it was nothing to write home about but hey... they're open.

The 10 day forecast looks great for snowmaking if they have enough water... lows are projected near or below freezing most nights.

I checked their website and Cataloochee also opened today with 5 slopes from midstation down and 3 lifts operating.

Appalachian Ski Mtn is projected to open tomorrow, Nov 22, and Beech says its opening day will be Friday, Nov 25.

Ski season IS HERE!!!!!

Old 12-13-2016, 07:55 AM

8 posts, read 6,298 times
We just bought a 2nd home in WNC and this will be the first season I teach my 8 and 12 y/o to ski. I've researched all the resorts and have an idea of what each mtn has to offer. The first few trips I know their little legs will be toast after a couple of hours so the idea is to do half days. On a typical day where its below freezing at night but warmer during the day, is it usually better conditions doing the first half of the half day or the 12:30-4:30? If it was me I'd go early but being brand new, I'm wondering if the softer midday conditions might not be better for them on the bunny hill.

How does the snow change throughout a normal day? Is it often boiler plate with a thin layer of snow that gets scraped off exposing icy patches midday or does it just soften up nicely making for better "first time" conditions? I grew up in Tahoe and there I'd probably take them midday when it's warmer and softer but not sure what to do here their first day. Once they have a little experience I have no doubt the conditions are better early so this ? is just about their first 1-2 days on the easy slopes. Thanks!

Old 12-13-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfing View Post
We just bought a 2nd home in WNC and this will be the first season I teach my 8 and 12 y/o to ski. I've researched all the resorts and have an idea of what each mtn has to offer. The first few trips I know their little legs will be toast after a couple of hours so the idea is to do half days. On a typical day where its below freezing at night but warmer during the day, is it usually better conditions doing the first half of the half day or the 12:30-4:30? If it was me I'd go early but being brand new, I'm wondering if the softer midday conditions might not be better for them on the bunny hill.

How does the snow change throughout a normal day? Is it often boiler plate with a thin layer of snow that gets scraped off exposing icy patches midday or does it just soften up nicely making for better "first time" conditions? I grew up in Tahoe and there I'd probably take them midday when it's warmer and softer but not sure what to do here their first day. Once they have a little experience I have no doubt the conditions are better early so this ? is just about their first 1-2 days on the easy slopes. Thanks!
Which areas are you closest to? I am most familiar with Sugar Mtn, and its best conditions are definitely first thing in the morning. Unless conditions don't allow, they usually groom early before the slopes open making for good conditions first thing. On a heavy traffic day, especially weekends & holidays, the snow gets "skied off" and inconsistent by mid-day, and on warmer days can get heavy by late morning. Problem is that half-day tickets at Sugar are offered only in the afternoons.

Because skiers in this region tend to wait until mid-morning or lunchtime to come out, the later heavier skier traffic causes conditions to erode as the day progresses. This is also exacerbated by limited amount of terrain vs number of skiers.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, on many days, conditions can be impacted more by skier traffic than actual weather.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:14 AM

8 posts, read 6,298 times
Thanks for the response and that makes sense about it getting skied off on busy days. I don't know how much quieter the slopes are on weekdays but we will only go on weekdays to avoid the crowd. Maybe the snow lasts longer midweek. How is the night skiing?

The closest is Sapphire which I understand is tiny but we may go there the kids very first day since it's so close and knowing that they will quickly out grow that terrain. After that we have Cataloochee and Wolf Ridge which are both 90 min away. I've heard Cataloochee has some of the best snow making and beginner terrain so thst will probably be our main mtn and then it's 2.5 hrs out to Sugar, Beech and App so we will hit those on occasions. Wolf I've heard has some of the best terrain for advanced skiers but is terrible for kids or beginners so that will probably be a place I go alone until the kids get better.

I haven't followed the weather in NC until recently so I don't know what Jan and Feb are like but so far it appears that even if the nights get below freezing that the days are above a lot of days. Id like to ski some where next week but it looks like a chance of rain several of the days and I can't imagine skiing when it's raining. Since we only want to ski on decent days until the kids gain some confidence, what weather patterns and temp combos seem to make really icy or generally bad conditions in NC? What is the day after rain like? What is a day after a warm evening that only gets down to 40 degrees like? Hearing from some of you season pass holders who have skied all conditions could help save us a trip up on a bad day and I really want the kids first few days to be good conditions so they have fun and want to keep going.

Thank you so much for your help and I hope to see you on the slopes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina