Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 12:25 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,487,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Thanks for sharing, they should have waited til Tuesday to open 10 Day Weather Forecast for 28774 - weather.com
Sunny, nobody can afford to wait too long.... southern ski areas know that weather is terribly inconsistent. If everybody waited till the weather was a sure thing, then there wouldn't be a ski industry in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 12:27 PM

Snowchaser, thanks for your reports... a great addition to C-D.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:59 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,331,369 times
It is just amazing to me how these resorts can handle the mild weather the way they do. This weekend the high temps all the way to West Virginia is going to be in the 60's to upper 60's maybe even 70 down in North Carolina. Thank goodness it's only a day or two and that a strong cold front will swing down sunday to bring temps back to snow making again! And hopefully Jan and Feb old man winter will be good to us down here!!!

Old 12-20-2013, 02:56 PM

We live less than 4 miles from Sugar and hubby volunteers with the recreational races. I haven't skied in the past 3 years or so, but I keep close tabs on it through hubby. Gunther Jochl does a GREAT job with snowmaking and grooming at Sugar... stockpiles the snow in good snowmaking weather and pushes it around to make up for losses in warmer weather. It was amazing how little loss they had when it rained over Thanksgiving. The rain actually helped pack down the new snow base and created a better base going forward. Yes, let's do our snowmaking dance for the rest of the winter. Happy skiing!

Unfortunately, Sugar has had to cancel planned NASTAR races the weekend. Can't wait for the incoming cold front!

Old 01-08-2014, 01:28 PM

We are in the heart of the southeast ski season and with 'polar vortex' 2014 coming to an end it looks like the ski resorts came out a winner and have made tons of snow along with a few inches of the real stuff at the NC and WVa ski resorts. Canaan Valley up in Wv even closed down one day due to extreme cold temps. I skied at Beech over the weekend and it was great! not much ice at all on the runs and the crowds were under control. The next 2 upcoming weekends though look out and get out there early because these are the holiday weekends that tend to be very busy!

Old 01-08-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchaser2002 View Post
The next 2 upcoming weekends though look out and get out there early because these are the holiday weekends that tend to be very busy!
The next two weekends? MLK is Jan 18-20 and Presidents Weekend is Feb 15-17. Those are the weekends to avoid the ski areas if at all possible.

BTW, hubby skied at Sugar this morning and said it was fantastic!

Old 01-09-2014, 07:32 AM

Your right roadpony! I don't know what I was thinking...yesterday was my Monday so I will blame it on that!

I was reading on Skisoutheast.com this morning and they said Both Sugar and Beech are just 1 run from having all the runs open and maybe by this upcoming weekend they look to have all runs open which will be great. I hope to make it up to Sugar Sunday!

Old 01-13-2014, 04:07 AM

Skiing was great this past weekend at sugar in NC. At least Sunday was. The temps were perfect and there were not many icy patches. The wnc ski resorts are suppose to get more real snow this week so this coming weekend(the Infamous MLK weekend probably the busiest of the winter) the conditions of the resorts will be perfecto. Also after reading the long term forecasts it looks like late Jan into Feb will be great winter weather wise so fingers crossed here for the second half of the season looks to be great as well!

Old 01-28-2014, 10:43 AM

Anyone in the south who likes to snowboard or ski should take advantage of this wonderful winter weather this January! Every day off this month I have ventured to Beech or Sugar and even wintergreen up in Virginia. Beech and sugar are 100 percent open as is most other resorts. We are at the peak of the season and hate to see Feb come up so soon I am afraid we may have an early spring. But as of this week this whole week looks awesome for all the ski resorts in the south and mid- atlantic states! go out and happy skiing!

Old 01-28-2014, 10:48 AM

To echo snowchaser - hubby called 5 min ago on his way home from Sugar. He said it was absolutely perfect today. When he got there first thing this morning, slopes had 1/2 inch of fresh snow on top of the grooming. While he was there, he said it snowed another 1 1/2 inches. It's still snowing now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina