Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2007, 08:22 PM

116 posts, read 445,863 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

Welcome to North Carolina. This is a wonderful state filled with truly wonderful people and places. I have been reading the thread and see lots of questions about different locations. We are in the Asheville are so I thought I would drop a line about our experience so far.

We moved here from California about 9 months ago. We were so unsure of where to live at first, and did not want to end up in the "wrong" spot.
Well....after nine months, I would say there is not really a wrong spot in the Asheville/Hendersonville area. There are many beautiful areas to live that appeal to different people for different reasons.

We personally feel it is a great idea to rent for awhile if you have the option. We know several people who bought imediately and have had regrets, usually because of location, or the community was simply not the right fit for them.
So I hope this will be helpful to anyone searching.

I will be a little general in my discription. I truly hope I do not upset anyone, this is just our take so far.
Biltmore Lake- as earlier suggested is very beautiful, the only complaint seems to be the distance from everything.
Weaverville-pretty little town with lots of housing options. My husband works with two people who live there and love it.
West Asheville-Although we personally did not check it out, we hear there a lots of cute bungalos. We know people who live there and enjoy it.
North Asheville-wonderful kind of hip spot, close to town, definately a little more urban feel, but wonderful if that is for you. Can be spotty, so make sure you have a knowledgeable realtor or friend(in our case).
Candler- Nice, but also a little far removed from the "action"
Hendersonville- Charming! We love Hendersonville and thought of moving there ourselves. Just did not work for us. My husband works in Asheville and the traffic on 26 can be pretty bad.
Swannanoa- Very country and rual, but very beautiful. Only about 10 minutes from Asheville. Not much there now but think things are in the work (with Tiger coming to town), might be a good time to buy.
East Asheville/Haw Creek- Neat little area, very "neighbor-hoddie". We also have several friends who live there and love it. Also close into everything.
South Asheville(Arden)-Close to everything, lots to offer, nice new developments, good schools,a bit of "hussel-bussel".
Fairview-Very beautiful, good location,good schools, lots of housing options. The only thing we felt was a bit scarry was the number of developement going in this area (and Arden), for us coming from CA it was just a little too close to home.
All in all lots of great choices, and it just depends on what you are looking for.

So where did we end up......Black Mountain. We went around and around, but just kept coming back to Black Mountain. It was the small town we were looking for, and the people could not be more friendly or welcoming. Housing I would say would be the only draw back. It is very tough to find a house in Black Mountain. It can be expensive (new housing) and some of the older places need TLC, but we decided it was worth it and are diving ahead.
I hope this was a little helpful to you, hopefully you will have a few less miles on your cars than we do on ours!

Best to you all,
Duke101
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 07:21 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke101 View Post
Hey Everyone,

Welcome to North Carolina. This is a wonderful state filled with truly wonderful people and places. I have been reading the thread and see lots of questions about different locations. We are in the Asheville are so I thought I would drop a line about our experience so far.

We moved here from California about 9 months ago. We were so unsure of where to live at first, and did not want to end up in the "wrong" spot.
Well....after nine months, I would say there is not really a wrong spot in the Asheville/Hendersonville area. There are many beautiful areas to live that appeal to different people for different reasons.

We personally feel it is a great idea to rent for awhile if you have the option. We know several people who bought imediately and have had regrets, usually because of location, or the community was simply not the right fit for them.
So I hope this will be helpful to anyone searching.

I will be a little general in my discription. I truly hope I do not upset anyone, this is just our take so far.
Biltmore Lake- as earlier suggested is very beautiful, the only complaint seems to be the distance from everything.
Weaverville-pretty little town with lots of housing options. My husband works with two people who live there and love it.
West Asheville-Although we personally did not check it out, we hear there a lots of cute bungalos. We know people who live there and enjoy it.
North Asheville-wonderful kind of hip spot, close to town, definately a little more urban feel, but wonderful if that is for you. Can be spotty, so make sure you have a knowledgeable realtor or friend(in our case).
Candler- Nice, but also a little far removed from the "action"
Hendersonville- Charming! We love Hendersonville and thought of moving there ourselves. Just did not work for us. My husband works in Asheville and the traffic on 26 can be pretty bad.
Swannanoa- Very country and rual, but very beautiful. Only about 10 minutes from Asheville. Not much there now but think things are in the work (with Tiger coming to town), might be a good time to buy.
East Asheville/Haw Creek- Neat little area, very "neighbor-hoddie". We also have several friends who live there and love it. Also close into everything.
South Asheville(Arden)-Close to everything, lots to offer, nice new developments, good schools,a bit of "hussel-bussel".
Fairview-Very beautiful, good location,good schools, lots of housing options. The only thing we felt was a bit scarry was the number of developement going in this area (and Arden), for us coming from CA it was just a little too close to home.
All in all lots of great choices, and it just depends on what you are looking for.

So where did we end up......Black Mountain. We went around and around, but just kept coming back to Black Mountain. It was the small town we were looking for, and the people could not be more friendly or welcoming. Housing I would say would be the only draw back. It is very tough to find a house in Black Mountain. It can be expensive (new housing) and some of the older places need TLC, but we decided it was worth it and are diving ahead.
I hope this was a little helpful to you, hopefully you will have a few less miles on your cars than we do on ours!

Best to you all,
Duke101
It was nice to hear your thoughts! My hubby and I are only part-time residents right now , but we bought our little home in central Asheville (near the mall). The neighborhood is SOOO cute, and the neighbors are the absolute best - they always watch over our house when we are gone, which is most of the time.

On our last visit this weekend, we revisited some areas where we looked when we knew nothing about Asheville. One area was Montford, an urban setting immediately north of town. We still didn't like the vibe there, thought it was way too "spotty", with projects and run down homes next to restored Victorian mansions - wasn't feeling it. We also still do not care for West Asheville - it's fun to go there, but it lacks something for me, and there is concentrated crime there due to some bad housing projects. Arden to the south is way too congested and too much building going on. My favorite area is to the north, the neighborhoods off Merrimon, near UNCA and beyond. This area feels like "us", and I hope when the day comes we move permanently we can find something up that way. Unfortunately, it seems to be a popular area, and prices for anything are much higher up that way.

I LOVE BLACK MOUNTAIN! It was up on the top of my list when we were looking, but at the time we decided to be right in town Asheville, so we would be in the middle of everything. But Black Mountain reminds us of some cool little California town. It is hip and happening and small and charming. It is GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS, and just has the best vibe. I could totally live there. Every time we go it seems better than the last. This town is going to get more and more expensive as time goes on, I predict. Anyhow, you made a good choice buying there, IMO!

Old 11-27-2007, 07:01 PM

116 posts, read 445,863 times
Thanks Gypsie,
We also love North Asheville. We had actually narrowed it down to North Asheville or Black Mountain. Some of the houses there are absolutly beautiful and we also thought it would be great to be so close to everything.

Another area we think is pretty interesting is the Biltmore Village area. There are some neat condo's etc. going in there and it is a nice walkable little area.

We are very happy with our choice however, and feel like we have the best of both world's. We are 15 minutes from Asheville and walking distance to downtown Black Mountain, which incidently just got a new Thai restaurant,
Thai Basil, we think it was yummy!
Hope we get you as a full time resident soon....come see me in Black Mountain anytime!
Duke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina