U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,820 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our mid 30's, currently living in Tampa, FL with our 2 young children, ages 2 and 7. We have friends who own a business in Bryson City and love it in the area. We are ready to experience the beauty of NC which we've come to love when we visit. We understand it's a much different way of life than here in Tampa and we are ready for the change. Really looking forward to having seasons again. We have a dream of opening a small business in the future, which will be very family oriented, followed by purchasing a home. Bryson City may be a little too small for our tastes, but we are interested in Sylva. It seems like a slower paced town, and a nice place to raise kids in. I like the proximity to Asheville, but my husband prefers not to go too much further east than Bryson City.

We'd love any input we can get. We know jobs are limited, which is why we have the idea of starting our own business. We would rent a place in the area before we decided to launch this business and buy a home. The idea we have can be very successful with a lot of hard work and dedication, along with no competition of the type of business we want, in the surrounding towns.

We'd also like to hear from other parents of small children living in the area. Are the schools good? If you've relocated from a bigger city, are you ultimately happy with your decision to move your family to the area? Are there any negatives we need to be aware of?

So much information to gather and research, and we're just trying to make the right decision. We've always loved North Carolina and really hope to move there someday soon and live the rest of our lives in such beautiful surroundings. Also, ready to get away from this overcrowded city and hot, scorching summers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 04:08 PM

10,815 posts, read 15,118,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMinFL View Post
My husband and I are in our mid 30's, currently living in Tampa, FL with our 2 young children, ages 2 and 7. We have friends who own a business in Bryson City and love it in the area. We are ready to experience the beauty of NC which we've come to love when we visit. We understand it's a much different way of life than here in Tampa and we are ready for the change. Really looking forward to having seasons again. We have a dream of opening a small business in the future, which will be very family oriented, followed by purchasing a home. Bryson City may be a little too small for our tastes, but we are interested in Sylva. It seems like a slower paced town, and a nice place to raise kids in. I like the proximity to Asheville, but my husband prefers not to go too much further east than Bryson City.

We'd love any input we can get. We know jobs are limited, which is why we have the idea of starting our own business. We would rent a place in the area before we decided to launch this business and buy a home. The idea we have can be very successful with a lot of hard work and dedication, along with no competition of the type of business we want, in the surrounding towns.

We'd also like to hear from other parents of small children living in the area. Are the schools good? If you've relocated from a bigger city, are you ultimately happy with your decision to move your family to the area? Are there any negatives we need to be aware of?

So much information to gather and research, and we're just trying to make the right decision. We've always loved North Carolina and really hope to move there someday soon and live the rest of our lives in such beautiful surroundings. Also, ready to get away from this overcrowded city and hot, scorching summers!

You might want to contact one of our long time posters, PaintedLady. She and her family relocated to Sylva from FL (where she was a Realtor) in October. She hasn't posted in a while, so we hope they are having a great time in their new area, and their new home. I have a feeling she is busy getting her r/e license here in NC, so she may be a good resource for you.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:03 AM

426 posts, read 929,859 times
..SminFl...We LOVE living here in Sylva! look for my post "So Happy Here in Sylva" or... So happy here in Sylva! ....feel free to contact me anytime :0) Donna (Thanks QuilterChick!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina