U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2006, 08:16 AM

37 posts, read 163,930 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Can anybody give me some info about the water quality of rivers, water falls and creeks in western NC. I have 2 dogs and will go hiking a lot once I move to Asheville. Coming from Florida, the waters here are often very dirty and polluted, no way a doog should drink that. How about in NC though, is it safe to have your dogs just drink any water as you go along hiking?
Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2006, 09:06 AM

73 posts, read 259,137 times
Hello,
Thought I would let you know that since you are moving to Asheville you should have no problem finding fresh clean water. Since Asheville is in the mountain's most all the creek's will have clean water. Yes, it will be safe for your dog's to drink from. Asheville is a beautiful place, be sure to visit the Biltmore Estate it is wonderful. Wish you the best on your move to N.C
CATHY

Old 10-22-2006, 10:34 AM

Thank you Cathy, sounds great. I can hardly wait to finally be there. And yes, the Biltmore Estate is on the list big time

Katrin

Old 10-22-2006, 06:42 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,156,179 times
You will find things fine in Buncombe County (Asheville, et al) and Henderson County (Hendersonville, et al). However, if you're way way way back in Madison County, you might find some surprises.

I'm not referring to the area around Mars Hill. Instead, there's some really rural areas way back in the county where you'll find straight piping going on. If you don't know what I mean by "straight piping," it's the practice of just running a home's sewer pipe right into the river, stream, or creek.

Straight piping is not a common practice in the more developed areas. However, Madison County has some old and poor regions where it's been done for centuries. There's prohibitions against doing it, but it's not enforced way back in the remote hollows. It's even possible that some of the people living there could not afford to install proper septic systems so enforcement would effectively put them out of their homes. That may be one reason why it's not enforced by the county.

So, if you see some, uh, . . . . "floaters" in the creek, I might let the dog drink from my canteen instead of the stream.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:37 PM

463 posts, read 1,491,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpfmaus View Post
Hello,

Can anybody give me some info about the water quality of rivers, water falls and creeks in western NC. I have 2 dogs and will go hiking a lot once I move to Asheville. Coming from Florida, the waters here are often very dirty and polluted, no way a doog should drink that. How about in NC though, is it safe to have your dogs just drink any water as you go along hiking?
Thank you.
Leptospirosis and giardia are two good reasons to carry bottled water and not let your dogs drink from creeksides, riverbeds or streams. Lepto is zoonotic. Can transfer from animals to people. Would probably be a good idea to check with your Vet about vaccinating for not only the two most common lepto serovars, but also the two re-emerging ones, which require a different vaccination than the old, standard lepto vax. Our Vet recommended the newer vax after we moved back to N.C. After researching it, I agreed and had our dogs vaccinated with the newer lepto vaccine.

There is also a type of algae that can cause illness; death under some circumstances. http://www.epi.state.nc.us/epi/hab/bluegreen.html

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 10-22-2006 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: found URL

Old 10-22-2006, 09:07 PM

Wow, thank you Cassie, I had never even heard about such things.
Everybody I hiked with so far even people that live in the Carolinas allways let their dogs swim and drink out of any river or lake etc.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 7,214 times
Default dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpfmaus View Post
Wow, thank you Cassie, I had never even heard about such things.
Everybody I hiked with so far even people that live in the Carolinas allways let their dogs swim and drink out of any river or lake etc.
I just wanted to let you know that we took our dogs on a hike last weekend up in the mountains outside of Asheville, and one of our dogs swam in and drank some water. She became very sick, and just died today and I saw your post so I wanted to warn you. The vet thinks it is leptosporosis from the water. Do not let your dogs swim in or drink the water because you just don't know.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:57 PM

35 posts, read 103,789 times
Default clean water in Western, NC

Hello-

I was hoping to get more information about the state of waterways in Western NC. We were considering moving to the Asheville area, and we still may do so in the near future.

I don't have animals as pets, but I would love to be able to swim in the lakes, streams etc. without worrying that I'm bathing in pesticide runoff etc.

From visiting the area around Mount Mitchell, I know that it is beautiful, but beauty can be deceiving. A lot of highly polluting industries are often hidden among the mountains and forests. I'm thinking in particular of the paper-mill that feeds into the Pigeon River in nearby Canton, NC.
Does this effect the entire Buncombe area?

Any info you could provide would be great- including if you know anything about the following topics-

*What watershed in Buncombe County in?

*Are the waterways in the counties North or west any better of Buncombe any better? (excluding Madison as noted above!!)

*Also curious about Lake Lure- it is located near the town of Black Mountain, NC. Is this lake relatively fishable without much worry about the history of the area being a mine or heavy agricultural runnoff area etc?

*What about the groundwater in Western, NC? Drinkable? Contaminated by anything whether human made or naturally occuring (like arsenic etc.)

Thanks for any wisdom- all we want is to find someplace with clean water and help keep it that way.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:40 AM

531 posts, read 1,764,960 times
Ah good water quality...how I miss ye!

There's another public health scourge rearing its head especially in rural areas which you'll be hearing about in the coming years: meth labs. I was up in Galax a few years back, looking at some repossessed mobile homes at a mobile home dealership. The older gentleman who ran the place got to talking (I love Southerners!) and gave me the full story on meth labs. He even had a mobile there which had been used as a meth lab so I got a "tutorial" on how to spot and avoid one. He said he would have to pay big bucks to have the thing destroyed or rehabbed.

The problem is that, not only do meth labs toxify dwellings, but the criminals pour toxins such as acetone, toluene, lye, etc. right out the back door! And into the aquifers for all to drink. Nice. And how do you make sure that never happens to your aquifer? You can't. We've got a big and growing problem on our hands.

Don't even get me started on what drilling for natural gas is doing...but that's more West Virginia way, not in NC. At least not so far as I know.

Last edited by goat1of2; 07-26-2010 at 02:45 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 07-29-2010, 08:45 AM

1,787 posts, read 2,487,798 times
OMG....Meshbaugh...I am so sorry to hear about your dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina