Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 10:25 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times

Advertisements

On my soap box....

As someone who lives in Western North Carolina but not in Asheville, it becomes a bit tiresome when so many posters seem to think that WNC = Asheville when there is soooo much more to WNC than Asheville.

Example: "Opening restaurant in WNC" when the OP is interested exclusively in Asheville. (Sorry OP, not really picking on you, but yours is simply the most recent example.)

Maybe I'm being a little over-sensitive, but I'd guess there are those who live in Waynesville, Hendersonville, Tryon, Brevard, Saluda, Black Mountain, Old Fort, Franklin, Sylva, Hayesville, Murphy, Bakersville, Burnsville, Spruce Pine, Jefferson, W. Jefferson, Sparta, Boone, Blowing Rock, Newland, Banner Elk, Plumtree, Marion, Morganton, and all the many other WNC communities who might feel the same way sometimes.

Stepping off my soap box....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 11:08 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Joining you on the soapbox.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:16 AM

4,789 posts, read 10,610,355 times
No I Agree simile available, but I agree...

Old 02-23-2014, 12:09 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
On my soap box....

As someone who lives in Western North Carolina but not in Asheville, it becomes a bit tiresome when so many posters seem to think that WNC = Asheville when there is soooo much more to WNC than Asheville.

Example: "Opening restaurant in WNC" when the OP is interested exclusively in Asheville. (Sorry OP, not really picking on you, but yours is simply the most recent example.)

Maybe I'm being a little over-sensitive, but I'd guess there are those who live in Waynesville, Hendersonville, Tryon, Brevard, Saluda, Black Mountain, Old Fort, Franklin, Sylva, Hayesville, Murphy, Bakersville, Burnsville, Spruce Pine, Jefferson, W. Jefferson, Sparta, Boone, Blowing Rock, Newland, Banner Elk, Plumtree, Marion, Morganton, and all the many other WNC communities who might feel the same way sometimes.

Stepping off my soap box....
Hey roadpony, I must confess my view has been awfully Ashevillecentric. Please broaden my horizons, can you tell me which of the towns that you mentioned would appeal to me as a person who loves all that Asheville has to offer?

Old 02-23-2014, 12:19 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
WNC is lucky to have AVL b/c thats the city that will see the growth. Ppl moving to WNC from NY or NJ or AZ probably doesnt care of (or heard of) Waynesville. Most ppl that are moving there have heard of AVL though.

I'm just throwing out my opinion.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:42 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Hey roadpony, I must confess my view has been awfully Ashevillecentric. Please broaden my horizons, can you tell me which of the towns that you mentioned would appeal to me as a person who loves all that Asheville has to offer?
Since Asheville is the largest municipality in WNC, someone looking for a more urban or quasi-urban environment probably won't be interested in much of the rest of WNC. However, that wasn't the point of my post. I'm not bashing Asheville whatsoever, and there's nothing in the world wrong with being Asheville-centric. I love Asheville... just don't say or write "WNC" when you really mean "Asheville."

"all that Asheville has to offer" is somewhat broad and non-specific. Asheville is many thing to many people. I wouldn't know how to respond to that.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:06 PM

497 posts, read 968,923 times
It would help if posters were more specific in the header that indicates "Location", rather than to use "Western NC" or "High Country". If you want to broaden the base of reference from WNC=Asheville indicate your point of WNC in replying. It doesn't provide much useful information to state that "South Asheville is the best place to live" if you're coming from Orlando. Where does South Asheville start. Is it because South Asheville is populated by people from Orlando or Florida? I have no idea. Assuming that regular posters love their little place in WNC, brag on it, rather than give the standard list of places that should be checked out without indicating even if the poster lives there or how they know about it. When I write "Asheville" I mean within the city limits. Maybe it's that people want to remain unidentified from some fear of being located somehow?

Old 02-23-2014, 03:54 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhere now View Post
It would help if posters were more specific in the header that indicates "Location", rather than to use "Western NC" or "High Country". If you want to broaden the base of reference from WNC=Asheville indicate your point of WNC in replying. It doesn't provide much useful information to state that "South Asheville is the best place to live" if you're coming from Orlando. Where does South Asheville start. Is it because South Asheville is populated by people from Orlando or Florida? I have no idea. Assuming that regular posters love their little place in WNC, brag on it, rather than give the standard list of places that should be checked out without indicating even if the poster lives there or how they know about it. When I write "Asheville" I mean within the city limits. Maybe it's that people want to remain unidentified from some fear of being located somehow?

Huh?!?

Old 02-23-2014, 04:56 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Since Asheville is the largest municipality in WNC, someone looking for a more urban or quasi-urban environment probably won't be interested in much of the rest of WNC. However, that wasn't the point of my post. I'm not bashing Asheville whatsoever, and there's nothing in the world wrong with being Asheville-centric. I love Asheville... just don't say or write "WNC" when you really mean "Asheville."

"all that Asheville has to offer" is somewhat broad and non-specific. Asheville is many thing to many people. I wouldn't know how to respond to that.
Eh, I guess that I am in the right place then...

Old 02-23-2014, 05:03 PM

215 posts, read 370,981 times
I agree, and the towns that make up WNC are all so different. Franklin is nothing like Asheville, but it is in western NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina