Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:17 PM

51 posts, read 191,152 times

Advertisements

Andybuildz,

Yes, you have to fly that Saturday and return on Monday or Tuesday. So for this week's special, you would have to fly to Asheville this Saturday and return to NY either Mon. or Tues. Plus, the special fares come out late Monday night/early Tuesday morning and you really need to book no later than Tuesday AM because if you wait, more than likely, you won't get a seat, especially if you try to get two seats together. So what you do is click on the Deals & Offers and then click on continental.com Specials, then scroll down until you see the New York/Newark to Asheville flight, then click on the $119 price, then it will give you the only flight at that price, 9:35AM arriving Asheville 11:35AM, you click on Select, then it will give you the only returning flight at that price on Mon., 12/10/2007 @ 12:25PM arriving Newark 2:22PM. Now, if you want to return on Tues., 12/11/2007 instead of Mon., scroll down to where it says Start New Search at the bottom of the page, and enter the return date as Tues., 12/11/2007, and click the Search button, it will then give you the departing flight on Dec. 8 at the special $119 price which you will click Select, and then you will see the only returning flight on Tues. at the $119 price plus all the others at the higher prices. You just click Select on the $119 returning flight and then it will give you the total price $119 plus $20.80 for taxes, for a total ticket price of $139.80 per person. As you go through the reservation process, you will then be able to select seats. Please note that the seats that are blue are not released until 24 hrs. prior to flight time. So what you need to do is go ahead and make a seat selection at the time of booking and then as soon as it's 24 hrs. prior to flight, check in online and see if the seats that are on the exit row are available because those are the seats that you want (more leg room). Continental doesn't release the exit row seats until 24 hrs. prior to flight time. So if your flight is at 9:35 Sat. morning, then I would be on my computer Fri. morning by 9:35 or a little before trying to check in and get those exit row seats.

I hope I haven't confused you, but these specials are only offered weekly for travel that weekend. That's why you really need to have some flexibility otherwise they won't work. Also, the same cities are not offered every week, and probably next weekend will be the last of the specials until after the holidays because they don't offer them during holidays.

If you sign up for Continental to email you the specials, I wouldn't wait until the email comes across if I were wanting to travel somewhere. I always go on Continental's website late Monday night (around midnight) and check to see if the specials are there, because I have waited until they came across my email and then tried to book a flight and it was already full.

Just a little tidbit of advice because I have become quite "seasoned" at doing this these past few months.

Carolyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 12:33 PM

652 posts, read 2,264,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clgrimes View Post
Andybuildz,

Just a little tidbit of advice because I have become quite "seasoned" at doing this these past few months.

Carolyn
You haven't confused me at all and I appreciate all the info!!!
I did sign up and noticed most of the things you spoke about except for changing the seats later in the week...which I'm going to re-read again...not that that confused me...I just read through it a bit fast.

I can see this being perfect for me in a lot of instances. One being we'llneed to go down there to check it all out this winter and 2-3 weekends should be plenty in the beginning.
Then and if we finally do sell this house...ugh..and actually make it down there for good our daughter will need to fly in for weekends duringher school year in Manhatten (SVA).
I'll have to also check for longer specials in the spring when we're closer to the actual move.
PS...I wanna read back to this post in April and say to myself...I remember when I was so worried about selling my house back in Dec. of 07. LOL

Old 12-05-2007, 07:19 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,244,255 times
Dear Andy,
I'm replying to your first post, haven't followed other advice here about airplanes and such.

Just go ahead and fly straight into Asheville, you might have to jump planes in D.C. or Charlotte. It's worth the expense because you do not want to drive from flatlands up into these mountains in winter. Stay at the Holiday Inn near the airport. It has easy access by car over to Hendersonville Road, which further up is where the Racquet Club area is, and that road will continue on straight past Biltmore Village and into town.

Xmas is pretty in Asheville in the evenings. Visit Biltmore Village Shops late afternoon; then continue up Biltmore Avenue to downtown at the Cafe on the Square at dusk to eat, tablecloths, view of the lights, deck across street. Another day, tour that whole downtown area, park in the Wall Street deck, walk around Wall Street, Grove Arcade, and Haywood Street. You can go ice skating at the Wolfe Auditorium on that street. Find Montford Avenue off same street and drive through the Historic Montford community, worth a visit to check out the Victorian home rehabs. Try to get up to the Grove Park Inn off Charlotte St and check out their gigantic lobby and the view.

Pick up a Mountain Xpress newspaper for things to do, to get a real feel of what's happening in Asheville. Pick up Homes and Land magazine.

The Racquet Club is in South Asheville off Hendersonville Road. So, if you want to live close by, sort of at edges of neighborhoods, $250-$350, woodsy feel, 1/2 to 3 acres, three goodies are for sale right now. They are in the Royal Pines and Mills Gap Road area, near Brookwood Golf. You'll have to find more yourself, we cannot post links, I am not a realtor, just found this stuff by myself:

Whens the worst time to visit Bluncombe County-arden-chestnut-place-realty-world.jpg

Whens the worst time to visit Bluncombe County-fletcher-sequoyoah-hills-coldwell-bank.jpg

Whens the worst time to visit Bluncombe County-s.-asheville-weston-hts.-bev-hanks.jpg

Best wishes for a great trip and fun time in Asheville! GG

Old 12-05-2007, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,686 times
It's always busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina