Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 05:39 AM

679 posts, read 1,460,578 times

Advertisements

Funeral processions are one of those things in the driving rules that are a bit unique. For example, you do not need to pull over, but once the lead car lawfully enters an intersection the entire procession is supposed to proceed through the intersection, regardless of the condition of the traffic signal.

On some roads, that leaves little option but to stop and pay your respects....or in these days continue to have that text message conversation started while driving before seeing the procession, or plotting how to best cross over the double yellow the person sees me coming the opposite way. But I digress into the myriad of other problems common to our roadways......including not knowing emergency vehicles with their sirens and flashing lights on actually do have the right of way, and are probably doing something a little more pressing than what they are doing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 05:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
It is covered on page 45 of the NC Drivers' Handbook.

Or page 25 of the pdf file online version.
I learn something on appropriate way.
Quote:
The driver of a vehicle going in the opposite direction as a funeral procession may yield to the procession.
If the driver chooses to yield, the driver must
do so by reducing speed, or by stopping completely off the roadway so that drivers of other vehicles proceeding in the opposite direction of the procession can continue to travel without leaving their lane of traffic.
http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/ha...dl_english.pdf

I cant believe the state is doing away with written tests for valid license holders, knowledge is always refreshing.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:05 AM
RVT

367 posts, read 771,330 times
Some drivers also need to refresh themselves on the stopping for school bus laws. A lot of them don't know how a 4 lane with center turn lane is handled, and that oncoming traffic does NOT stop for the school bus in that situation.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:13 PM

358 posts, read 785,612 times
When some people abruptly stop or dramatically slow down for a funeral procession or a cop on the side of the road they are making it more likely that they or I will be in the lead car of the next funeral procession. You don't know who you are paying respects for, it could be someone who tortures little puppies.....would you really want that?

Old 03-07-2014, 09:12 AM

411 posts, read 613,871 times
I was taught by my Southern parents that it is a proper show of respect to slow down a bit and turn on your headlights, so that's what I still do. You may not know the deceased, but you are demonstrating your compassion for people who are hurting.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:39 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,241 times
Yes Susie

I remember being in a family car with my mother during her younger brother's funeral procession. and she felt so comforted by the people pulling over. It helped her through a very difficult day.

It only took a couple of minutes but the kindness shown made such a difference to the family.

And now and even yet, in our little small southern town we had our first casualty of the Iraq War. Business and employers allowed employees to step outside and line the street in respect for the family and killed young man as the procession led to the funeral home.

As I understand it, seeing people welcoming their son home even in death meant a lot to the parents of that young man. They put a thank you note in the local paper.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:44 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Yes Susie

I remember being in a family car with my mother during her younger brother's funeral procession. and she felt so comforted by the people pulling over. It helped her through a very difficult day.

It only took a couple of minutes but the kindness shown made such a difference to the family.

And now and even yet, in our little small southern town we had our first casualty of the Iraq War. Business and employers allowed employees to step outside and line the street in respect for the family and killed young man as the procession led to the funeral home.

As I understand it, seeing people welcoming their son home even in death meant a lot to the parents of that young man. They put a thank you note in the local paper.

My "rep" tank is full for you or I would have repped you on the above.

Loved your post, heartwarming; just the way a very high percentage of people are here in the mountains.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:16 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,241 times
Thanks QC, just speaking for many.

it is just what we do.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:39 PM

83 posts, read 266,103 times
Pull over out of respect for the family no matter what lane your in. If you can't follow that simple request, then move.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:07 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mre0609 View Post
Pull over out of respect for the family no matter what lane your in. If you can't follow that simple request, then move.
It is a nice gesture of respect and compassion and only takes a moment of your day. But...for people who are unfamilar with the custom it is not on their radar. This is the only place I've lived that observes this custom so understand the other side too. It is dangerous when some do some don't the state needs to make a decision for safety reasons. In a small town it works but having lived in Charlotte it doesn't and is scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina