Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 06:41 PM

48 posts, read 76,413 times

Advertisements

Well Ladies and Gentlemen I've officially survived 6 months in WNC specifically Black Mountain. Sounds bad when you put it that way but I'm still adjusting somewhat to it considering that I moved all the way from the Seattle area. I must say though my hatred for driving in snow has been rekindled this year but then again apparently this year brought a lot of snow to WNC. It's a trade off but I can live with it. Job wise it's a bit iffy but let me say YES THERE ARE JOBS OUT THERE haha for anyone considering on moving here if your in the medical trades (which I am not) then you shouldn't have a problem find a job. Again yes there are jobs out there and it only takes a little more searching to finding them but they're out there trust me.

Ok, so enough about what I didn't like or whatever non sense I was complaining about. The good is if your looking to rent places aren't to expensive and are decent (well by my standards they are). I am currently living in Black Mountain as some of you may know, found a great little 2 bed 1ba house with a nice sized yard, garage and best of all one of the most chill landlords I've ever had the pleasure of coming across. Now as the winter months are coming to an end and the temperatures rise I've been able to explore a bit and am coming to like it more and more. Took a hike yesterday around Lake Julian in Fletcher and it is awesome little spot the water is a nice turquoise color. pine trees and lots of fish. Kinda reminded me of Devils lake in Eastern WA. Kinda glad I moved down here now haha less rain more sunshine equals out to more exploring in my book.

My conclusion is that it's one of the better places that I've lived, beautiful landscapes, the local food is the shizz and the people here are pretty laid back and best of all for anyone with family this is definitely somewhere you would want to raise a family. So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm here to stay!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I have a bit of a problem so to speak. I've been trying to do some research for place to camp maybe go backpacking or take my fiance to camp out for a couple days. I doubt that I'll find anything close to the Cascades in WA but am looking for something similar. Ideally somewhere near water, fishing and beautiful vistas. Somewhere to stargaze away from anything modern really. Canmprounds like KOA and what not are a no go for me like I said away from everything, alone and enjoying nature.

If anyone would be able to suggest an area with what I'm looking for, maybe even have GPS coordinates and pics would be an amazing help.

Best Regards,
Eric

Last edited by Cheez_pizza; 03-09-2014 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 07:12 PM

4,782 posts, read 10,559,721 times
Here are a few threads/posts on 'camping'...Search This Forum Tab, upper right hand corner, is your friend.
No personal experience on these possibilities; I haven't camped since the Boy Scouts, in the late '50s/early '60s.
GL, mD

http://www.city-data.com/forum/weste...ampground.html

Mountaintop Camping - Blue Ridge Parkway North Carolina

French Broad River Campground

Old 03-09-2014, 07:17 PM

Awesome thanks man very much appreciate and the search button has gotten the best of me throughout our last few encounters but I'll use different keywords. Once again thanks bud.

Best Regards,
Eric

Old 03-10-2014, 08:48 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,501,516 times
Davidson River Campgrounds, not remote but on the river, near trout hatchery and hiking. There is a Forest Service office in Asheville near UNCA that has FS maps and helpful staff. Near Brevard is the DuPont State Forest hiking, waterfalls and I'm sure camping. Also Oscar Blues Brewery just out of town. Nothing like the Cascades or Olympic Peninsula but pretty places abound, enjoy. Miss the PNW but like the winter sun.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:30 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,518,293 times
Well DAvidson River is a campground but not remote in the least and no vistas to speak of. There is the French Broad you can fish, raft, and swim but it gets pretty crowded in the summer. And the town of Brevard is literally down the road.
If you want to backpack you might try the Black Balsam area, maybe Shining Rock Wilderness-you can hike to Cold Mountain. It's a nice one or two night backpack trip.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Davidson River Campgrounds, not remote but on the river, near trout hatchery and hiking. There is a Forest Service office in Asheville near UNCA that has FS maps and helpful staff. Near Brevard is the DuPont State Forest hiking, waterfalls and I'm sure camping. Also Oscar Blues Brewery just out of town. Nothing like the Cascades or Olympic Peninsula but pretty places abound, enjoy. Miss the PNW but like the winter sun.
Cool thanks tsmw47 I'll be sure to stop by and pick up some maps. I'm having trouble finding them online for some reason. Also no once you've been backpacking in the Cascades you wont find anywhere else like it in this country in my opinion. This is what I'm used to back packing through. It is simply breath taking.

Oh yea the winter sun has made this relocation worth while haha the Puget Sound is still in the Dark ages (weather joke)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Well DAvidson River is a campground but not remote in the least and no vistas to speak of. There is the French Broad you can fish, raft, and swim but it gets pretty crowded in the summer. And the town of Brevard is literally down the road.
If you want to backpack you might try the Black Balsam area, maybe Shining Rock Wilderness-you can hike to Cold Mountain. It's a nice one or two night backpack trip.
I'll have to look the them up thanks Booya.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Pisgah National Forest or Brown Mountain? A bunch of co-workers suggested those two places specifically today.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:00 PM

4,782 posts, read 10,559,721 times
Some day hiking, and m'cycle riding, (paved roads), but no camping experience...PNF is ~ 1/2 million acres.
GL, mD

Pisgah National Forest Campgrounds

Pisgah National Forest, Asheville Camping and Hiking

Old 03-10-2014, 06:16 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,518,293 times
Well Davidson River and Shining Rock Wilderness are part of Pisgah Nat'l Forest.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:01 PM

503 posts, read 923,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheez_pizza View Post
Does anyone here have any experience with the Pisgah National Forest or Brown Mountain? A bunch of co-workers suggested those two places specifically today.
I can think of better places to go than Brown Mtn. It's covered by an OHV trail system; ATVs and dirt bikes.

There is a nice overnight hike from S. Mills River campground to the Davidson River campground. Horse folk use it a lot.

http://www.hikewnc.info/trailheads/p...t/mills-river/

Old 03-12-2014, 09:40 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,501,516 times
Cheez_____pizza got the weather joke The picture was wonderful, spent a lot of time in the Oregon Cascades camping, Three Sisters, Mount Jefferson area. Around here more cozy beautiful, some areas remind me of Olympic Peninsula rain forest light....ferns, moss, green everywhere. If you have time head to N. Georgia (2hrs) and Tallulah George, the campground is busy not remote at all but the Gorge is pretty cool especially 2,000 steps to bottom and swinging bridge across and back up pant, pant. The drive is lovely and a trip to nearby Dillard House to eat is worth it. We've done it on a day trip. I
We have camped along South Toe River (think that's where) just drove down a gravel road off BRP and found a site. When parkway opens north again, past Ox Creek exit, there is a gravel road from Craggy parking lot along Stoney creek that has some sites. You will end up out of Barnardsville about 5 miles or so when you get to the end and hit pavement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina