Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 06:26 PM

3 posts, read 8,383 times

Advertisements

I will be starting a Off-Road excursion tour in the mountains around Phisgah National Forest North Carolina. People will be taken up a scenic trail through streams and forest, by old cabins and stone walls. All catered with a picnic on a bluff overlooking the mountains, and you are driven in a LWB Land Rover Range Rover followed by a Land Rover Chase Vehicle.
It is something I am Just starting so I would like to know what people think.
Any feed back would be welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 08:14 PM

70 posts, read 227,402 times
If that's your thing , OK, but you are going to miss more than you are going to see. Feet are the best transportation in the mountains. Details and small things are where it's at. Just my .02 worth. You have to be able to touch it to feel it. Land Rover tours = marketing. Beware.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:10 PM

7 posts, read 32,279 times
Sounds like a great idea. Are you going to include any stops for roaming and hiking? I went on one of these at Yellowstone this summer and it was terrific. The driver/guide was very knowledgable of the area and had a great local yokel sense of humor!

Old 12-08-2007, 03:54 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Yea tearing up the ground and driving through streams with a vehicle causing erosion and silting of streams, devastating the ecology of the forest.

Leave your status symbol in the parking lot and really see nature by walking.

Oh, and since Land Rover owners will surely profess that their vehicles do not tear up the ground because of their superior qualities, well they do, and they also compact the ground killing plants and leading to erosion, silting of streams and negative impacts on the ecology.

TAKE ONLY PICTURES, LEAVE ONLY FOOT PRINTS when in our precious forests.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:15 AM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,512 times
Thumbs up Sounds great, be good to all.

Sounds like a fabulous idea. Love those enviromentalist who say hike only, but who have probably also never seen those areas that only a 4wd can get too. Now I do agree and hope you will be staying on dirt-roads or trails meant for off-road vehicles, no trail blazing. There is a place for people, bicycles, horses, and off-road vehicles. Some areas for only one group, but room for all still aplenty!! Good luck on your new idea! Be safe. Excursions like this are very popular in Colorado, sounds like a good idea over their too!

Old 12-10-2007, 03:18 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Dunn View Post
Sounds like a fabulous idea. Love those enviromentalist who say hike only, but who have probably also never seen those areas that only a 4wd can get too. Now I do agree and hope you will be staying on dirt-roads or trails meant for off-road vehicles, no trail blazing. There is a place for people, bicycles, horses, and off-road vehicles. Some areas for only one group, but room for all still aplenty!! Good luck on your new idea! Be safe. Excursions like this are very popular in Colorado, sounds like a good idea over their too!
What do you mean people on foot who have never seen areas that a only a 4wd can get to? Any place a 4wd vehicle can get to trust me you can get there on foot, and MANY MOORE places. Infact most places you want to hike are not accessible by vehicle, and not allowed.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:18 PM

"go where only 4 wheel drive can get to" ????? Must have been a line out of a Land Rover sales pamphlet. Of course this may be true in undeveloped and very large countries in Africa, or perhaps the outback in Australia, but in WNC, I think not.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:10 AM

652 posts, read 2,265,116 times
I'm not understanding this either. Go only where a 4 wheel drive can go and you do't usually go there by foot???? Where is that? Sounds pretty convaluted if you ask me. I'd love to hear where there's such a place in NC. Far as I can tell from some of those ads...it looks to me like the 4 wheelers aren't riding on any kind of road that I can tell.
Will someone that really knows please let us know?
Wait a minute...hang out a sec..lemmie go Google
Land Rover Experience Driving School at Biltmore Estate | Marquee Magazine

YouTube - Land Rover Excursion

Well...I can't find anyone thats saying they've harmed the environment...maybe they go on designated roads...I donno?
I know in areas of Maine I used to go camping at in Baxter State Park on my way to the Allagash Wilderness Waterways there were loggers roads we traveled down that probably would be good for this kind of thing...not sure about NC...so if anyone knows...fill us in before we start raggin' on anyone any more...lol.
Weird that the first Google search brought me to Biltmore...and I didn't even write in NC....hmmmm

Old 12-11-2007, 10:13 AM

Facing South: Southern sportsmen, conservationists sue to protect native trout from ORVs

Erosion created by off road driving is a problem anywhere there is vegetation and rainfall.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:55 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,512 times
My comment regarding "only where a 4wd can go" refers to the extra mileage that usually only a 4wd can go, like 20 miles back into a forest than the normal hiker would never see. Or how about those folks who cannot hike because of a physical problem or age? Wouldn't it be nice for them to also see what all the healthy hikers get to "wow" at? Sorry I have been to areas in the Sierra's and Rockies that 99% of those hikers have never seen and can only dream about seeing, because unless they are the hard-core types who takes weeks off to hike into the back country, and tent-up each night while out on the trail, most people just don't have the time or the physical condition to go in that far. A 4wd vehicle can gently [yes, it can be done!] travel at slow speeds to back country safely and sanely. I believe in the tread lightly slogan and have seen it first hand. I totally agree with the NO off-road racer mentality who are rippin' through the terrain, that is a irresponsible off-roader and makes a bad impression for all. Usually that type is not there to see the scenery, but rather to just give themselves a crazy high, there is better places for those type to cut loose, our beautiful mountains are not it! Hope you can see that there can be some good in this. I once got to see a 84 year old grandmother with her grandchildren take a jeep ride up into serious off-road territory near Sedona, AZ. It was great to see her and the grandkids reaction to the beauty in the area that they would never have seen otherwise. Think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina