Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 04:08 PM

72 posts, read 145,973 times

Advertisements

So we live in Summerville, South Carolina and are looking for a change. We fell in love with a little town in Washington called Port Townsend. When we ran across Black Mountain it really reminded us of Port Townsend without the water. I'm an artist and jewelry maker and my husband works for a university from home. We have a three year old. We keep going back and forth between Black Mountain and Port Townsend. Black Mountain is closer to a bigger area than PT, homes are a tad cheaper, it is a little safer, schools are a little better, the age demographics skew younger, it wouldn't cost as much to move to, etc.

So I have to ask, if it were you... What would you choose? Do you love Black Mountain? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 04:20 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
My sisters and I grew up in Black Mountain. My sister moved to PNW, outside of Portland, and loved it. Would stay there forever and would never come back to Black Mountain.

She finds it friendlier in PNW. I have found it friendly and liked the easy way of the people when I visited and when I went to Seattle, WA. My cousin's daughter moved to Seattle with her husband, a college professor. They like it there.

That is one family's experience. We have seen or lived in both but I doubt that you would want to make your decision based upon what other people think of one place or another.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:32 PM

No... But I will say that on my limited visits to both areas, the people were exceedingly more friendly in Washington. Everyone I ran across in Black Mountain and Asheville seemed like they were about to fall asleep... Which sounds funny, but I'm not sure how else to explain it. It was a really strange phenomenon. I also had some rudeness and I wouldn't say I experienced any friendliness... Even at Starbucks (which is strange, considering they are usually OVERLY friendly at every Starbucks I have been to (and I've driven across the country a few times)). So maybe there is something to that.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:26 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,978,848 times
Yeah, Black Mountain NC is reasonably comparable to Port Angeles WA or Port Townsend WA. A small downtown of a few blocks, some tourists, high priced homes. But Asheville is easier to get to, than the major cities on the other side of the Puget Sound when you need "more".

Old 03-20-2014, 07:40 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,510,742 times
I love Port Townsend something about the combo of sea, mountains and lovely old town a real draw. Interesting how many people drawn to both PNW and this area. Port T Is more isolated than B.M. a long way to a larger place. We found the atmosphere in PNW more live and let live, a very laid back vibe we liked. People were very friendly but lots of nice folks here. Really depends on what you are looking for B.M. is a nice place, not far from Asheville for a larger town experience. Western NC is more conservative and the state is moving to the right. Drops off fast outside of Asheville city. One place we really liked was Bainbridge Island bigger and closer in than Port T. The seafood out there is phenomenal, nothing like that here but we get more winter sun. Tough choice to make, both have their appeal, good luck.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:49 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Wow. Hard Choice. I love both places but Port Townsend and the PNW have the edge in my opinion.

I have considered both places. The only reason I would not move to PNW is it is more expensive to live there and farther from family and just everything I know. But I love love love it out there! I go out almost every August.
But if $$$ is not an issue nor family back east then I would say go WEST!

Old 03-21-2014, 07:03 AM

474 posts, read 840,349 times
It IS a hard choice. For me, I'd choose BM because it's less isolated -- closer to more amenities and food choices. But you may prefer more isolation.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:41 AM

318 posts, read 628,788 times
In what dream world are Port Townsend and Black Mountain similar, as several posters have suggested? Yes, they are both small towns, but that's about it. Thats like saying Los Angeles and New York are similar because they're both big cities.
Port Townsend and the Puget Sound area have a very different culture, totally different climate, different cuisine, vastly different political and religious atmosphere, different flora and fauna, different scenery.
I grew up and lived most of my life in Seattle/Puget Sound and visited PT often. I lived in WNC for two years and spent time in BM before returning to Washington State recently (and so glad to be back).
No question in my mind which is the preferable place to live, but I'm biased, and my opinion is immaterial to the OP. But the OP shouldn't make a decision based on the delusion that PT and BM are similar. They exist is very different worlds.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDavid View Post
In what dream world are Port Townsend and Black Mountain similar, as several posters have suggested? Yes, they are both small towns, but that's about it. Thats like saying Los Angeles and New York are similar because they're both big cities.
Port Townsend and the Puget Sound area have a very different culture, totally different climate, different cuisine, vastly different political and religious atmosphere, different flora and fauna, different scenery.
I grew up and lived most of my life in Seattle/Puget Sound and visited PT often. I lived in WNC for two years and spent time in BM before returning to Washington State recently (and so glad to be back).
No question in my mind which is the preferable place to live, but I'm biased, and my opinion is immaterial to the OP. But the OP shouldn't make a decision based on the delusion that PT and BM are similar. They exist is very different worlds.
From an outsider's point of view they are similar on paper. They have about the same population, they both have an arts presence, similar home values, small downtowns with interesting shops, many events throughout the year, a unique charm, a community feel, a large retired population... and all together they appealed to us for the same reasons. OBVIOUSLY they are not the same place. However, they are the two options we are considering and I was curious what other people thought. I am not basing my decision on what other people think. I was looking for some food for thought. It is a pretty tough decision for someone who has never lived, as an adult, outside of South Carolina. The last time I lived outside of South Carolina was when we moved from Vegas when I was four.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:38 AM

318 posts, read 628,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musingtree View Post
From an outsider's point of view they are similar on paper. They have about the same population, they both have an arts presence, similar home values, small downtowns with interesting shops, many events throughout the year, a unique charm, a community feel, a large retired population... and all together they appealed to us for the same reasons. OBVIOUSLY they are not the same place. However, they are the two options we are considering and I was curious what other people thought. I am not basing my decision on what other people think. I was looking for some food for thought. It is a pretty tough decision for someone who has never lived, as an adult, outside of South Carolina. The last time I lived outside of South Carolina was when we moved from Vegas when I was four.
Most of the things you mention are superficial. They have very little to do with lifestyle and quality of life. My wife grew up in WNC and then lived in the Puget Sound area for many years. I asked her without preface how PT and BM compare. Her answer was, they don't; they are so totally different they might as well be on different planets.
I was just trying to help you focus on the real comparison between the two places. WNC, and BM in particular, have a high degree of religiosity. The Puget Sound area has a remarkable lack of religiosity. The politics are polar opposites. The weather in PT is gray and rainy and you can go for weeks in the fall, winter and spring without seeing the sun. As I said, food and culture are very different.
Making a decision on where to live based on how a town looks are its unique charm is like judging a book by its cover.
I'm sure both towns are nice places to live, but probably not for the same reasons.
Personally, I don't care for the overt religious atmosphere and the strong conservatism of most of WNC. I prefer the more laid-back religious and political attitudes of people in Western Washington. But that's me. I prefer the scenery and food and culture of the West, but that's me. People are friendlier, more accepting, more open-minded around most of Puget Sound than they are in most of WNC. To me, that's more important than focusing on the interesting shops, large retired population, home costs. Long after you've forgotten about the shops, the home costs and the other superficial issues, you'll have to live with the cultural issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina