Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 02:04 PM

11 posts, read 12,109 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anything about the Riceville area or Buffalo Mountain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 04:20 PM

503 posts, read 926,274 times
Gotta watch out for those redneck hillbillies. They'll eat your children alive and make you're life miserable by shooting guns and playing country music in your general direction. Then they'll give Sarah Palin your address and phone number.

What would your reaction be if someone had posted on a public forum that they didn't want to live around black people?

Old 04-06-2014, 04:39 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,910,503 times
OP, where are you from / moving from, if you dont mind me asking?

Old 04-06-2014, 06:44 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,389 times
Weaverville is a great town and walkable. We have a variety of folks living here and it is a pretty accepting. WNC is a mixed bag and you will find giving folks a chance before you judge is good rule to go by if you move here. I know good people that span the spectrum makes it a great place to live.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:53 PM

221 posts, read 461,586 times
The Riceville area is beautiful, and has easy access to the Warren Wilson trails. It feels rural, but it's only about 15-20 minutes to downtown, and all kinds of people live there. Many of the homes have large yards and you could certainly find something nice in your price range. It does have some issues, though - with just a couple roads leading in and out, it's easy to get socked in when the weather is bad (true of many places, but I happened to hear several bad stories about Riceville this past winter). Also, a developer is looking to build a multi-use development with hundreds of homes, restaurants, offices, retail, and an elementary school in the old Coggins Farm area off of Old Farm School Rd. Locals are trying to fight it because they fear it will change the character of the neighborhood, and they don't believe the roads can support the extra traffic. Even if this particular development doesn't go in, someone is sure to buy that land and develop it. So it's hard to say that area will be like in the next couple of years. Still worth a look, though, because it fits many of your needs. Good luck!

Old 04-06-2014, 09:03 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,744,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Weaverville is a great town and walkable. We have a variety of folks living here and it is a pretty accepting. WNC is a mixed bag and you will find giving folks a chance before you judge is good rule to go by if you move here. I know good people that span the spectrum makes it a great place to live.
I second Weaverville. Had an interesting interaction with a guy who had a rebel flag for a front license plate. He had an old truck that I wanted to photograph. I was a little apprehensive but I said what the heck. I knocked on the front door to his house and apologized for disturbing him, then made some small talk and asked his permission to photograph his truck. What a nice fellow he turned out to be, and it soon came to my attention that we had more in common than I first thought.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatgso View Post

What would your reaction be if someone had posted on a public forum that they didn't want to live around black people?

I wouldn't much like it. Apology already given - I hope everyone will just drop it. My bad! We would be moving from the Midwest.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:39 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,389 times
Okay lets move on. Lots of people here from Midwest, I grew up in Wisconsin. It is different here and can take some adjusting but as I said many kinds of people pick this area and for good reason!

Old 04-08-2014, 05:52 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sonmama View Post
I wouldn't much like it. Apology already given - I hope everyone will just drop it. My bad! We would be moving from the Midwest.

Kansas is so flat. It could take some time to get accustomed to the roads here in the mountains. The first time I spent a good deal of time in FL, I found the same phenomena .... all sky, flat roads were so boring. Here, it's all beautiful "hills" and not many flat roads except the interstate -- but the views are priceless. Same in TX, but flat and dry. The other thing a lot of people have a problem with until they learn how to drive here, are all the large culverts, deep ditches and swales along the roadside. If those wheels go over the white line, you're in a ditch, or up the creek w/o a paddle. Towing companies and body shops do a bang-up business here.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:14 PM

We lived many years in Colorado, so the mountain roads don't concern us too much. Just not wanting quite as much winter as Colorado has for our retirement years. Do want the outdoor recreation opportunities that are sorely lacking where we currently live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina