Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 10:41 AM

503 posts, read 926,346 times

Advertisements

Wal-Mart partners with Wild Oats to roll back prices on organic food | Reuters
Quote:
"The retailer that leads U.S. stores in grocery sales said on Thursday it struck a deal to sell Wild Oats brand organic foods at non-organic prices."

"Walmart will roll out 100 Wild Oats packaged foods products to half of its 4,000 stores in the coming months."
Wonder if stores in this area will see this soon? Don't like shopping at Walmart, but that could change. Hopefully, this will drive down the cost of organic food overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 11:30 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Good to read, though I will be curious to see what items, quality levels, etc.
Also curious if this brand(s) is organic or 'organic', as the term is being eroded by the push from many food producers via pressure on the USDA, fwiw...
GL, mD

Old 04-10-2014, 01:12 PM

81 posts, read 87,310 times
Walmart has an interesting policy of having different products in stores, based on the demand in the specific area. My local FL Walmart has many organic products and a large gluten free section, all at much better prices than Publix. Should be interesting to see what else turns up.
This is also an inventory model that Kohls department stores is implementing; product selection differing by the region, customer request.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:31 PM

flatwood is right on...the store to store quality level/item & brand availability, even in the same 'town' or area, is remarkable. But, it will be interesting to see some new, maybe better stuff.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:28 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I have seen some "organic" products with China as country of origin. I am sorry - anything grown in China, which is one of the most polluted areas on the planet, doesn't represent the quality I expect in an "organic" product.

Often, you can't find out the country of origin, as the label will just say "distributed by" rather than name where the food product was actually grown.

So I am dubious about the label "organic" as that cannot overcome other issues with where the products were grown.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:40 PM

^^^ +1
Not to start a 'food fight', but this 'organic' tag is hard to pin down, even from the USDA site; add in the manufacturers/distributors 'stretching' things a bit, and it's a unicorn hunt.

Not a purist or a faddie/foodie: just want a method of knowing what it is/how bad the junque is, I'm buying.

Can hardly wait to get back to W'ville and the Wed/Sat farmers mkt. Lots of good stuff there, and local, as in from down the street, sold face to face.
GL, mD

Old 04-11-2014, 04:19 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have seen some "organic" products with China as country of origin. I am sorry - anything grown in China, which is one of the most polluted areas on the planet, doesn't represent the quality I expect in an "organic" product.

Often, you can't find out the country of origin, as the label will just say "distributed by" rather than name where the food product was actually grown.

So I am dubious about the label "organic" as that cannot overcome other issues with where the products were grown.

^^^ Agree totally AniFani and MD. I won't buy anything at WalMart that isn't packaged or isn't name brand; and the Wild Oats "organic" doesn't meet my test. I did some shopping in there the other day and looked at the pkgs. of this Wild Oats brand; not impressed with the ingredients at all. WalMart is notorious for bullying vendors on every level, and they grind 'em down miserably on prices just because they are the biggest retailer in the country and they can. I'm happy to buy organic from the Co-Op or local farmers. True cage free eggs; I get them from my local veterinarian who has a meticulously kept organic farm.

Gotta' be careful of your prescriptions also. 99% of generics are manufactured in Asia, India, China where our FDA doesn't inspect. Always look up the mfg. code on the label of the scrip container. e.g.,
"Dr. Re". Several violations. Major drug store chains are not in my repertoire either. Buyers beware.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 04-11-2014 at 04:27 PM..

Old 04-11-2014, 05:07 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
I don't care how much money Walmart saves me I just won't shop there. They treat there employees like cr@p and I just can't see patronizing anyone who does that.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

That's a really good point. Might be worthwhile to research Wild Oats to see where they get their stuff.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I don't care how much money Walmart saves me I just won't shop there. They treat there employees like cr@p and I just can't see patronizing anyone who does that.
Have you worked there, or do you know someone who has? Or are you just repeating what you read somewhere? I've read that all Walmart employees have access to really good health insurance. So it would have to argued that Walmart does take pretty good care of their employees in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: