Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 10:02 PM

16 posts, read 115,676 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm currently a senior in high school and looking at colleges, and am considering Appalachian (I haven't gotten in yet, find out in mid jan.) and I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on the area or the school itself? I have visited, and I really liked it, and the atmosphere of Boone seemed to really be that of a 'college town' which I really liked, and I LOVE the mountains. However, since I'm in Wisconsin it's hard to get information from students or people who really know the area, so I was just curious if anyone has any helpful information? Anything would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 10:08 PM

3 posts, read 12,287 times
I have a few friends that go there, and honestly, the only bad things I have consistently heard is that the dorm rooms are "disgusting", and "old". However, if you involve yourself around the campus, it really shouldn't be that big of a problem as a Freshman.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:09 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided2008 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm currently a senior in high school and looking at colleges, and am considering Appalachian (I haven't gotten in yet, find out in mid jan.) and I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on the area or the school itself? I have visited, and I really liked it, and the atmosphere of Boone seemed to really be that of a 'college town' which I really liked, and I LOVE the mountains. However, since I'm in Wisconsin it's hard to get information from students or people who really know the area, so I was just curious if anyone has any helpful information? Anything would be appreciated
Why App? In-state tuition is expensive. It gets very cold in winter (duh).
It is rigorous, particularly in business and education. My son is an alum.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:49 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,102,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
OP is from Wisconsin, so I'm guessing Boone will not be "very cold" by comparison. I assume you meant out-of-state tuition is expensive? As a student, it is possible to establish residency after a year or so and then enjoy one of the more affordable tuitions in the country. And rigorous is good IMO when one is considering a higher education. There are too many schools in this country that are hard to get into and then easy from that point forward. That does not educate anyone. ASU will provide a great education in an awesome setting. The size of the university is ideal...large enough to offer many big school amenities, yet small enough that you can actually get to know the professors.

I attended ASU for 3 semesters in the early-90s before transferring to NCSU. I transferred to take advantage of a great job opportunity, but otherwise would not have left Boone and ASU. I lived on campus, and found the dorms to be on par with most other dorms I saw at other universities. The campus is next to downtown and you really don't need a car during the week. Its great to have the car on weekends though, so you can get out to the Blue Ridge Parkway and other surrounding hiking/skiing/biking/climbing areas. Black Saturdays are a lot of fun (that's the home football games). They won't compare to Green Bay or Madison, but App's championship program is well-supported and always draws a good crowd! For a school of its size in a somewhat isolated location, ASU has pretty good cultural offerings and decent arts programs. I've found the four season climate in Boone is hard to beat...cold winters with moderate snow, beautiful spring and fall, and an incredibly mild summer w/ no need for A/C!

Old 12-10-2007, 08:34 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,989 times
Correct, the cold in Boone is nothing like that in Wisconsin. A cheese head will run around Boone in shorts and a tee shirt. Think about attending year around. The summers in Boone are a whole lot more pleasant than a hot humid summer up north.
Seriously, the above advice is dead on. If you enjoy the outdoors you will fall in love with the area around Boone.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:00 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Mary, I THINK you meant to say out of state tuition is expensive? Because instate tuition is quite a deal if you ask me at under $5000 a year!

Even out of state tuition is not bad - compared to most other states rates at just under $14,000 a year. I know that sounds like a lot, but as the parent of a child looking at schools in other states right now I promise you, I would love to find one as cheap as $14,000!

Old 12-10-2007, 03:05 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided2008 View Post
I think you have chosen one of the best schools you could chose in NC ESPECIALLY since you love the mountains and are used to colder temps and snow. The university itself has a great reputation and every person I know who has gone there, or goes there currently, LOVES it. Boone is a nice little town that has everything you need right need the campus - places to eat, a mall, a hospital, banks and a grocery store. It is also very safe (tell your mom since I know that is one of her biggest concerns ).

Best of luck getting in!

Old 12-10-2007, 04:46 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,383,950 times
I graduated from ASU. It was a great place to get an education. I was out-of-state, but it was worth it, in my opinion. In four years there I only had one grad student teach a class. Pretty much every teacher I ever had was a tenured prof with a terminal degree. Boone is beautiful, and I was fortunate enough to get involved with the community on and off campus. I still go back once or twice a year, even though I live in Chicago. It's a wonderful place.

As for the dorms, they're not bad and getting nicer. A few are pretty crappy, but they're taking one major dorm offline for an overhaul per year.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:01 PM

222 posts, read 936,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Mary, I THINK you meant to say out of state tuition is expensive? Because instate tuition is quite a deal if you ask me at under $5000 a year!

Even out of state tuition is not bad - compared to most other states rates at just under $14,000 a year. I know that sounds like a lot, but as the parent of a child looking at schools in other states right now I promise you, I would love to find one as cheap as $14,000!
My dd's roommate is from TX and she said it is less expensive for her to attend APP than a state college in TX.

Undecided2008, I sent you a pm.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:22 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,036 times
Dear Flipster,
Could be you have some misunderstanding on tuition. University of Texas in Austin is $3,000 in-state for the school year. Appalachian is $4,000 in-state, $13,500 out-of-state.

Dear Undecided,
Boone is great for skiing and views, good school. But to pay three times annual tuition to go there as an out-of-state undergraduate makes no sense. Instead, go to a school in Wisconsin, and spend a fraction of your $10,000 savings on a ski trip to Boone over Christmas, great lodge up on Beech Mountain.

I might add that subjects you are interested in should be the guiding force on what school you select in Wisconsin. Picture yourself in 10 years. Do you want to study film so you can help make movies, or do you want to study veterinarian science so you can work with animals, or do you want to study ancient history so you can travel to Greece, or do you want to study business so you can make a ton of money, or study law so you can change the world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina