Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 05:58 AM

26,978 posts, read 43,513,776 times

Advertisements

For those familiar, could you briefly describe the differences in tourist demographics between Asheville, Black Mountain, Hendersonville and Brevard? I'm in the final phases of relocating my gift shop to the area and am ideally looking for a destination shopping district where people set out to purchase versus "window shopping"...i.e. a place where those visiting typically seem to have money to spend. I have visited all four and while I have gathered my perceptions would love to hear more from those who live in the area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 06:28 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,460,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
For those familiar, could you briefly describe the differences in tourist demographics between Asheville, Black Mountain, Hendersonville and Brevard? I'm in the final phases of relocating my gift shop to the area and am ideally looking for a destination shopping district where people set out to purchase versus "window shopping"...i.e. a place where those visiting typically seem to have money to spend. I have visited all four and while I have gathered my perceptions would love to hear more from those who live in the area. Thanks!

In the four towns you mention, there are already several types gift shops, consignment shops, local charity gift shops, you name it. All price ranges are represented, and a high percentage fail within the first year. They come and go in all of these areas, rents are high for the better locations and tourist season is best June through October.

This may not be what you want to hear; but this is an objective observation after being here going on 15 yrs. with a black belt in shopping.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
In the four towns you mention, there are already several types gift shops, consignment shops, local charity gift shops, you name it. All price ranges are represented, and a high percentage fail within the first year. They come and go in all of these areas, rents are high for the better locations and tourist season is best June through October.

This may not be what you want to hear; but this is an objective observation after being here going on 15 yrs. with a black belt in shopping.
Thanks, I've already investigated what's there and haven't seen anything similar to what I'm already doing so I'm not concerned about that, plus I've successfully been in business for nearly two years in a somewhat depressed area in Florida so not overly concerned about the possibilities there. My question pertains more toward the types of tourists/types of shoppers in the locations listed. I'm trying to avoid the type of destination downtown where people tend to shuffle in/out of stores like they're museums versus retail establishments, if you or anyone else gets my drift...thanks!

Old 07-10-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I've already investigated what's there and haven't seen anything similar to what I'm already doing so I'm not concerned about that, plus I've successfully been in business for nearly two years in a somewhat depressed area in Florida so not overly concerned about the possibilities there. My question pertains more toward the types of tourists/types of shoppers in the locations listed. I'm trying to avoid the type of destination downtown where people tend to shuffle in/out of stores like they're museums versus retail establishments, if you or anyone else gets my drift...thanks!

Tell us what type gift shop you have in mind and what items you would carry, at what price point; that will help tremendously with a vision of what would work for you here. This is definitely not a depressed area; but yes, tourists do tend to shuffle in and out of the many shops here, and I think they simply go back to the ones that offered what they want. I would say they are discerning buyers. The locals and native residents usually don't shop in the downtowns during tourist season and not much in the non-tourist season either, unless they recently relocated here.

I've mostly noted that they purchase higher end gifts that are made by local craftsmen, one of a kind items. Pottery, glassware, handmade jewelry, woodcarving, and so forth. What sells is not the average tchotchkes that ends up in someone's bottom drawer. There is no lack of highly skilled craftspeople in all of these areas; but of course, you could find local craftspeople who may want to have their goods for sale in your shop. That is why I ask what type of goods you would carry and the price point.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:49 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,608,404 times
Do many people visit Black Mountain? Or Brevard? I've been to both and they don't seem like those kind of towns.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Tell us what type gift shop you have in mind and what items you would carry, at what price point; that will help tremendously with a vision of what would work for you here. This is definitely not a depressed area; but yes, tourists do tend to shuffle in and out of the many shops here, and I think they simply go back to the ones that offered what they want. I would say they are discerning buyers. The locals and native residents usually don't shop in the downtowns during tourist season and not much in the non-tourist season either, unless they recently relocated here.

I've mostly noted that they purchase higher end gifts that are made by local craftsmen, one of a kind items. Pottery, glassware, handmade jewelry, woodcarving, and so forth. What sells is not the average tchotchkes that ends up in someone's bottom drawer. There is no lack of highly skilled craftspeople in all of these areas; but of course, you could find local craftspeople who may want to have their goods for sale in your shop. That is why I ask what type of goods you would carry and the price point.
I sell quality/well-packaged items such as soaps/body care, fragranced candles, glassware, jewelry, stationary/cards and handbags/accessories that are American-made but not prevalent in most retail establishments and keep things fresh in terms of new arrivals. I receive very positive feedback concerning my finds and would also add higher end local crafts to the mix as well. The price point is generally averages around $20 with items as high as $50 and as low as $5. I also offer free gift wrap on all purchases which is a well-desired perk it seems.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Do many people visit Black Mountain? Or Brevard? I've been to both and they don't seem like those kind of towns.
Both were packed the two times I visited though am not sure if locals or tourists, or both..???

Old 07-10-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I sell quality/well-packaged items such as soaps/body care, fragranced candles, glassware, jewelry, stationary/cards and handbags/accessories that are American-made but not prevalent in most retail establishments and keep things fresh in terms of new arrivals. I receive very positive feedback concerning my finds and would also add higher end local crafts to the mix as well. The price point is generally averages around $20 with items as high as $50 and as low as $5. I also offer free gift wrap on all purchases which is a well-desired perk it seems.

I think your shop would fit in, but you will have lots of competition that has been here a long time as far as Hendersonville goes. Brevard has "The White Squirrel" shop owned locally and been there many many years, Brevard is a smaller town with many gift and craft shops. I don't shop the gift shops in Black Mountain but there you will find a lot of local competition and craftspeople as well. Asheville, might be your best bet if you don't locate downtown, it's inundated with little shops, an arcade etc. Weaverville is growing, that could be an option; or Waynesville. I'm sure your shop is lovely; but rents are high in most towns, and you can bet if there is an empty storefront, the rent will be higher than the last tenant. Unless you buy a small house, live in it upstairs etc., and renovate it for the shop if it has proper zoning.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I think your shop would fit in, but you will have lots of competition that has been here a long time as far as Hendersonville goes. Brevard has "The White Squirrel" shop owned locally and been there many many years, Brevard is a smaller town with many gift and craft shops. I don't shop the gift shops in Black Mountain but there you will find a lot of local competition and craftspeople as well. Asheville, might be your best bet if you don't locate downtown, it's inundated with little shops, an arcade etc. Weaverville is growing, that could be an option; or Waynesville. I'm sure your shop is lovely; but rents are high in most towns, and you can bet if there is an empty storefront, the rent will be higher than the last tenant. Unless you buy a small house, live in it upstairs etc., and renovate it for the shop if it has proper zoning.
Actually I was just in Hendersonville and while there are some gift shops I found them more the country/gingham/potpourri variety than the more modern interpretation I'm offering, as is the White Squirrel in Brevard. In terms of locations I am considering North Asheville too and as far as rents finding they're fairly comparable to what I would pay here, so it's not sticker shock in that department.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Actually I was just in Hendersonville and while there are some gift shops I found them more the country/gingham/potpourri variety than the more modern interpretation I'm offering, as is the White Squirrel in Brevard. In terms of locations I am considering North Asheville too and as far as rents finding they're fairly comparable to what I would pay here, so it's not sticker shock in that department.

A lovely popular local owned gift gallery just closed after several years, it may still be on Google if you'd like to do a search. Wickwire Gallery. On Main St. in Hendersonville. Many of us were shocked at its closing; it was one of the best in town.

There is: Homestead Linens, on Main St. High end linens and many lovely gifts similar as you describe. Bath towels $50 each, etc.

There is: Décor 8, newly opened on Main St. Very low traffic store, like the "in and out" museum you described.

There is: Narnia mid range price for various things you can get anywhere; locally owned, has a following to keep them going and local artists' paintings etc.

To say that Hendersonville is more "the country/gingham/potpourri variety" than the "more modern interpretation" you offer shows your lack of knowledge about the area demographics in general.

North of Asheville sounds like a much better fit. Don't open a shop in any area that doesn't suit your tastes, or you will wonder why you ever left Floridia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina