Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 03:05 PM

8,100 posts, read 6,732,263 times

Advertisements

Hey gang, I hope everybody enjoyed their summer! I have a question for the usual suspects. Lol. Has anybody rented out rooms or whole houses as VRBO? I am contemplating the purchase of property in Asheville and Weaverville and would like to get input as to the pros and cons of doing so. Thanks,
Da Bear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 03:14 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,504,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Hey gang, I hope everybody enjoyed their summer! I have a question for the usual suspects. Lol. Has anybody rented out rooms or whole houses as VRBO? I am contemplating the purchase of property in Asheville and Weaverville and would like to get input as to the pros and cons of doing so. Thanks,
Da Bear

If they are only for vacation(s), how would the numbers work Bear? Have you considered small cute older homes, like 1 or 2 BRs for vacation rentals?

Old 08-29-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
If they are only for vacation(s), how would the numbers work Bear? Have you considered small cute older homes, like 1 or 2 BRs for vacation rentals?
Hey QC, I am in the beginning stages of this endeavor and I don't have my numbers down yet. I am selling a property in NYC and doing a 1031 exchange for property here in Asheville. I am also considering Weaverville and Black Mountain.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:07 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,504,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Hey QC, I am in the beginning stages of this endeavor and I don't have my numbers down yet. I am selling a property in NYC and doing a 1031 exchange for property here in Asheville. I am also considering Weaverville and Black Mountain.
Excellent choices. Don't forget Hendersonville, only 2nd to Avl for being a tourist mecca, a bit more low key and very popular. Also check down near Lake Lure/Chimney Rock.

This weekend here in Hvl. they are having the NC Apple Festival, so far looks like they should have a big turnout, the weather is A-1. Brevard is very popular also, (lower key than Hvl.) hikers and nature folks love it, there is an easy entrance to the Pisgah Forest right there, an awesome fly fishing river (The Davidson), and an entrance to the BR Parkway. There isn't much around that is not good.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:57 AM

729 posts, read 1,502,932 times
Make sure you check out the restrictions on B&B's and renting out rooms. I know Asheville had capped it for a while. I'm not positive but I think Weaverville has a limit as well. They are trying to keep the market from being flooded.
I know of one family in Weaverville that rents a room in their house. Sort of a pared down B&B. I have her flyer but it's at the office. Sorry

Old 08-30-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by young92 View Post
Make sure you check out the restrictions on B&B's and renting out rooms. I know Asheville had capped it for a while. I'm not positive but I think Weaverville has a limit as well. They are trying to keep the market from being flooded.
I know of one family in Weaverville that rents a room in their house. Sort of a pared down B&B. I have her flyer but it's at the office. Sorry
Thanks young92. I had a meeting with a banker yesterday and he told me that Asheville may change the law on that in November. Any other information that you can provide would be appreciated.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:39 AM

497 posts, read 966,961 times
There was an article in the Asheville C-T on this very issue a few months, regarding various concerns for VRBOs, such as City doesn't get taxes, neighbor complaints. Very detailed as to the issues. Probably in archive. There's probably some office in the City that makes this their full time concern. We looked at a house for sale in Montford that had a small garage in the back turned in a VRBO that you climbed up a small latter to get to a sleeping berth, looked like a railroad car. Amazingly, they rented it by the night. Visited a woman of a friend, who had a similar arrangement in her garage. These places seem to be everywhere. For the City, they don't how many there are, where they are, and the economic impact of lost taxes.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:05 PM

221 posts, read 460,986 times
I believe this is the article Imhere now refers to:
Asheville looking at vacation rental rules

It sounds like in Asheville vacation rentals are legal downtown, but not in most of the surrounding neighborhoods. The city doesn't have enough staff to police vacation rentals, so the law is pretty much pointless right now unless there are neighbor complaints.

The article also makes the point that vacation rentals are eroding the affordable housing in this area even more, because many of them are small bungalows that could be used for inexpensive rentals. It's more lucrative for the owner to rent by the night or week, which means more affordable places are being taken off the rental market for low-income residents. I'll be interested to see which way it goes when they vote on it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina