Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 07:43 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Hmmm. . .Letterman is an Indiana boy who went to Ball State. He's been the butt of his own jokes for being a Ball State graduate for decades. I've seen him make fun of Harvard grads as often as people who went to lesser schools & somehow it usually ends up back at Ball State.
That's my observation as well. I always thought Indiana was center of the bulk of his jokes. And usually more self-condescending as that is where he's from. As a Midwesterner myself, I always thought the Midwest was the major target. It never bothered me though, I never thought of it being NY elitism. I just thought, yeah, here in the Midwest, there are those types that he describes, and that's where Letterman is from.

This thread is the first awareness to me, that Southerners took it to be a New York elitism vs the South kind of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 07:48 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,332,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
This thread is the first awareness to me, that Southerners took it to be a New York elitism vs the South kind of thing.
Please don't generalize. The people on this thread speak only for their own opinions regarding Letterman and can hardly be extrapolated to speak for all Southerners.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:13 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Please don't generalize. The people on this thread speak only for their own opinions regarding Letterman and can hardly be extrapolated to speak for all Southerners.
Good point.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:20 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
As to my opinion of him, I don't think he's funny! Neither does my husband, who by the way is also from Indiana and went to Ball State. Different strokes - we hate Conan, too.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:39 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,046,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatgso View Post
I actually like the drum circles. The people who really pi$$ me off are those in downtown condos who complained about the gatherings, and almost got them banned.
What, nobody invoked a noise ordinance law...?

Old 09-10-2014, 07:41 AM

279 posts, read 533,980 times
When Letterman came back on the air after 09/11, he gave a monologue that was just perfect. Exactly what people needed to hear. There is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBLgp1qTCTg I remember there being more to it. Can't find the part before he sat down.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:02 PM

905 posts, read 3,454,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
I do wonder why people who seem to dislike AVL and the inhabitants so much stay? I am sure other places have more job opportunities and conservative culture.
Some of the bashers don't even live in Buncombe County, yet the sit on their perch spewing their never ending disdain, Like a broken record. It gets so tiresome.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:33 AM

503 posts, read 926,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
Some of the bashers don't even live in Buncombe County, yet the sit on their perch spewing their never ending disdain, Like a broken record. It gets so tiresome.
You're going to have to deal with it. They have as much right to complain as you do about their complaining. I have a friend who was a longtime resident, but can't afford property here after having had to move away to take care of something. Another friend and longtime resident is, to my great regret, thinking about leaving Asheville because it has changed so much (for the worse). You don't like the complaints? Too bad.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:20 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,425,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatgso View Post
You're going to have to deal with it. They have as much right to complain as you do about their complaining. I have a friend who was a longtime resident, but can't afford property here after having had to move away to take care of something. Another friend and longtime resident is, to my great regret, thinking about leaving Asheville because it has changed so much (for the worse). You don't like the complaints? Too bad.
Me-me-me-me! And I have NOT bashed one thing, yet! I loved living in both AVL and HVL, but the 'word got out' and 'they' came in and changed things so drastically they took away the 'essence' of what AVL was (I'm talking the past 15 of 30 yrs). It happens when people do not realize what they have and keep their mouths shut (NOT meant in any bad way). I have been through this in so many wonderful towns, including my OWN 'home town' of Coconut Grove, FL (an artsy-craftsy quaint town of Miami...back in the 60s/70s/mid 80s). Now, it's all 'modernized' and built UP (b/c 'they' could not build sideways) and the whole 'essence' of what a wonderful town it once was is GONE. It's true of the whole Miami pre 1985, too. I haven't found, in my lifetime, a town that gets to GROW large and retain that 'old town n family' feeling. Along with the BIG venues, businesses, sports, politics come big builders, corruption, drugs and GREED...American Greed. I had hoped to retire in AVL...I truly did, but it got too expensive and my retirement got wiped-out with the Recession of 2009. It's a shame, but it happens when people don't pay attention to their hometown politics and, of course, participate in such.
I do still come to visit FL friends who have moved to cities like Sapphire, Black Mountain, Franklin, but they are not 'the old' AVL.

Last edited by mooksmom; 02-08-2015 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: multiple added thoughts that pertain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina