Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 08:15 PM

358 posts, read 786,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatgso View Post
You seem to have a very insecure self-image by the way you constantly take offense with any comment that doesn't validate your sensibilities.

You also don't seem to have very good reading comprehension skills. I said that alternative culture and mountain culture coexisted together; that is not homogeneity. Your idea of diversity seems to be the exclusion of white southern culture.

You stated that co-existence no longer exists in Asheville, so lets just get that over with from the start.

I don't think someones insecurities should give them license to treat others badly. If a person or a group of people have been unfairly maligned, I have two courses I can take; ignore or defend. I would not be the person I believe my self to be if I ignored such disrespect. It's a curse that goes hand in hand with a strong self image. Lets please not go into this again.....your habitual contrarianism is truly tiresome and I am sure SK has already sent my name to Homeland Security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 08:25 PM

279 posts, read 534,062 times
Let us not let that other thread inflame this one or we won't be able to have a conversation.

Fletcher has the Feed & Seed

What a deceptive name. When I moved from Asheville to Mountain Home, a guy at Southern States actually sent me there for Orchard Grass seeds. Interesting place, but not what I was looking for.

Anyway, I don't think Asheville can keep its indie spirit much longer. The rent on our 2200 sf retail space on Haywood St. went from 1500 a month to 5500 over ten years and we had to go. There was just no way that was going to work.

Kinda makes me miss the sex workers, the guys drinking mouthwash on the bench outside the old CVS that is now Urban Outfitters, chasing down shoplifters and purse snatchers and throwing people out the door- It kept me fit. But I also miss the completely random and interesting conversations that I used to have with strangers. People used to talk to each other in elevators and ask if you wanted some company when you ate lunch alone. Some of them were completely insane vortexers drawn here from Sedona and some of them were really intelligent people with something on their mind worth talking about. It was always a good time. That kind of stuff just seemed to dry up around 2009. Things got safer but some good things stopped happening too.

I am one of those carpetbagging idiots who moved from DC to the triangle in the mid-nineties after a bunch of magazines said it was the place to be. I watched that change from 4 way stops where I had polite hand signal arguments about whose turn it was to people aggressively running red lights.

I like where I am now. The families around me have been here, in some cases, for centuries. I'm not churched but I fit in. They help me with this farm thing I didn't know enough about and I babysit and dole out business and tax advice. We blast coyotes together and take care of each others infirm. Really good people.

So I think I know what Dave misses. A sense of community is being lost. Maybe he is a little grumpy and takes in too much opinionated media, but I understand.

Last edited by Mr Yuck; 09-17-2014 at 08:36 PM..

Old 09-17-2014, 08:45 PM

503 posts, read 926,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuck View Post

[/i]What a deceptive name. When I moved from Asheville to Mountain Home, a guy at Southern States actually sent me there for Orchard Grass seeds. Interesting place, but not what I was looking for.
I thought at first she was referring to Fletcher Lawn & Garden, which is one of the last remaining businesses in the area with the character that has largely disappeared from Asheville. Just down the road from you on Hwy 25 (on the right just before you turn left to go to the airport) if you haven't found it already.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
So I think I know what Dave misses. A sense of community is being lost. Maybe he is a little grumpy and takes in too much opinionated media, but I understand.
Grumpy? Nah! Just bored, a little melancholy, angry that the new Asheville has driven friends away, and not hung up about speaking my mind.

Opinionated media? Now that would be an interesting conversation (at least for me ).

Old 09-17-2014, 09:10 PM

Maybe Fletcher Lawn & Garden is where the guy at SS was trying to send me. Keep meaning to check it out. Been going to a place in Horseshoe that is on the way to where I buy hay. First time I went there I just needed 16 finishing nails and they told me to keep them and catch them next time. "What?!" said I.

Horseshoe Hardware. Low tech, no website, great selection, if they don't have it they can get it.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:17 PM

Opinionated media? Now that would be an interesting conversation (at least for me ).

Somewhere else. The mod will swoop in and delete things until nobody makes any sense. Read this quick. Vanishing in 3-2-1.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucler View Post
You stated that co-existence no longer exists in Asheville, so lets just get that over with from the start.
No, I said that hippie culture co-existed with mountain culture, and that mountain culture has largely been driven away. So they don't co-exist together if they are not together. Get it?

Old 09-18-2014, 01:21 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
My family wasn't from Asheville, but my dad went to college in Mars Hill and my parents lived in Asheville right after their wedding for a year. I was born there and then we moved back to Florida.

We came up during my childhood and teen years a couple of times. I was shocked at what a ghost town downtown Asheville was when I visited in 1992, because when we visited in the late 1960s when I was a child, the downtown was alive and busy. By 1992, most of the buildings were totally empty!

I knew in 1992 that it would become something. We ate at the lone upscale restaurant downtown and I remember saying what a great downtown it could be. All those cool old buildings sitting empty couldn't have gone undiscovered for long.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:51 AM

358 posts, read 786,244 times
Quote:
Let us not let that other thread inflame this one or we won't be able to have a conversation.

What a deceptive name. When I moved from Asheville to Mountain Home, a guy at Southern States actually sent me there for Orchard Grass seeds. Interesting place, but not what I was looking for.

Anyway, I don't think Asheville can keep its indie spirit much longer. The rent on our 2200 sf retail space on Haywood St. went from 1500 a month to 5500 over ten years and we had to go. There was just no way that was going to work.

Kinda makes me miss the sex workers, the guys drinking mouthwash on the bench outside the old CVS that is now Urban Outfitters, chasing down shoplifters and purse snatchers and throwing people out the door- It kept me fit. But I also miss the completely random and interesting conversations that I used to have with strangers. People used to talk to each other in elevators and ask if you wanted some company when you ate lunch alone. Some of them were completely insane vortexers drawn here from Sedona and some of them were really intelligent people with something on their mind worth talking about. It was always a good time. That kind of stuff just seemed to dry up around 2009. Things got safer but some good things stopped happening too.

I am one of those carpetbagging idiots who moved from DC to the triangle in the mid-nineties after a bunch of magazines said it was the place to be. I watched that change from 4 way stops where I had polite hand signal arguments about whose turn it was to people aggressively running red lights.

I like where I am now. The families around me have been here, in some cases, for centuries. I'm not churched but I fit in. They help me with this farm thing I didn't know enough about and I babysit and dole out business and tax advice. We blast coyotes together and take care of each others infirm. Really good people.

I believe that what may have been lost, is replaced by something different but essentially socially equal. Things change, but why must it be interpreted as bad? We have tailgate markets everywhere, where people socialize. We have music and entertainment on every corner and social gatherings every day. There are concerts downtown, outdoor restaurant seating where people are less inhibited. There are more organizations that help the elderly, the poor, those with infirmities. Museums and art. There are demonstrations, protests and street preachers.
All of this knits together a social fabric that may be different than what was before, but no less important.
For the first 10 years of my life we had a party line on our phone. We became very intimate with several families in town. It was quaint, and some people missed the social interaction, the sense of community when it was eliminated......we moved on.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:16 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Maybe Fletcher Lawn & Garden is where the guy at SS was trying to send me. Keep meaning to check it out. Been going to a place in Horseshoe that is on the way to where I buy hay. First time I went there I just needed 16 finishing nails and they told me to keep them and catch them next time. "What?!" said I.

Horseshoe Hardware. Low tech, no website, great selection, if they don't have it they can get it.

^^^ Yes sir; they are precious. They have a simple large sign out front in big letters: HARDWARE. You don't get more home town than that. Valley Agric. on Rt. 280 is also a fave of mine. Why go to a big box store when you have wonderful private owners who know you by name -- and, have better prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina