U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2006, 06:14 AM

2 posts, read 5,424 times

Advertisements

Hello, Thinking of relocating to N.C.
I have been to Magie Valley once about 10 years ago and I loved the
area and have always wanted to go back. Can anyone tell me about the job
market in Ashville. Hubby is a truck driver. Thanks for all you info!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 06:46 AM

884 posts, read 2,205,075 times
Job market here isn't the greatest. He can probably find work as a truck driver though. Pay here is lower than in other larger cities in NC. Depending on where you live now, he would probably not make as much money. White collar jobs are basically non-existent. If you can work in the tourism/restaurant/service/medical industry, you will be able to find work, although pay isn't great. Manufacturing jobs have left here by the boatload over the last few years, with the exception of the Volvo plant.

You need to really do your homework before settling on Asheville. Cost of living is high here, and housing is expensive compared to Raleigh, Charlotte and other large cities. I'm not trying to scare you away, just warn you that this isn't an easy place to get ahead, especially in your working years. By no means would it be a good idea to move here without a job already in hand.

Last edited by EnglishCream; 10-31-2006 at 06:59 AM..

Old 10-31-2006, 07:34 AM

21,280 posts, read 29,115,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLynn View Post
Hello, Thinking of relocating to N.C.
I have been to Magie Valley once about 10 years ago and I loved the
area and have always wanted to go back. Can anyone tell me about the job
market in Ashville. Hubby is a truck driver. Thanks for all you info!!!
I LOVE Maggie Valley too. I live in Houston but I've been there five times since 2000. We were there in May this year. I've been doing research on the area and it seems to me homes are very expensive in that area and jobs are very hard to find just like the other person said. You might try smaller places around the area or even eastern Tenn. From what I've read here taxes may be better in Tenn.

Old 10-31-2006, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,424 times
Default Ashville N.C.

I want to thank-you all for your reply to my post. You both have confirming what I already suspected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina