Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,014 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a small town in Western North Carolina. This will be a permanent move for me from Michigan. I am looking for a town with a vibrant downtown area with some shopping and a little night life. More of a community than a town I guess. Water would also be a nice addition. Looking for a home very near the downtown or in the downtown area. Priced at about $300K. Thanks for any help you may offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 02:51 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcorbin View Post
I am looking for a small town in Western North Carolina. This will be a permanent move for me from Michigan. I am looking for a town with a vibrant downtown area with some shopping and a little night life. More of a community than a town I guess. Water would also be a nice addition. Looking for a home very near the downtown or in the downtown area. Priced at about $300K. Thanks for any help you may offer.

Downtown where ?

Old 09-23-2014, 03:00 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,610,355 times
Just off the top of my old noggin, there are a half dozen to dozen 'towns'/areas that might fit your initial reqs.

What most of us can do is list where we live, (if it fits some of your points), and recite the usual names of other towns besides 'ours'.

'Vibrant' may be a stretch, even in downtown Asheville, compared to what one may be used to, and one's def of the word.

But, several towns come to mind from my first whack at it:
Waynesville, (I live here)
And more, not in any order...
Brevard
Hendersonville
Weaverville
Asheville, obviously
Boone
Blowing Rock, in Spring through late Autumn
Black Rock

If I left out one's fave, it was a quick list.

We need more input on reqs and your interests, imo, besides the usual of 'mountain views, great neighbors, easy access in all seasons, walk to grocery stores, lots of art/entertainment', etc...
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 09-23-2014 at 04:08 PM..

Old 09-23-2014, 08:26 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,006 times
mD pretty much covered it. We all have our favorites so we'll chime in when we get a bit
more for specifics.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:53 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Blowing Rock, in Spring through late Autumn
Very good list, but....

Just curious if you've been to Blowing Rock recently in the winter? It's become much more active year-round than it used to be years ago. It doesn't close down in the winter nearly like Highlands and Cashiers, for example.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:31 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,164 times
If being near shopping or good schools is important, then Hendersonville/Flat Rock has easy access to Asheville and Greenville plus the only top 1000 high school in WNC. Hendersonville has more grocery stores than I have ever seen in a small town + it has a pretty nice downtown where 3 new restaurants are set to open before the end of the year. Taxes are cheaper in Henderson county than Buncombe.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:54 PM

395 posts, read 462,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
If being near shopping or good schools is important, then Hendersonville/Flat Rock has easy access to Asheville and Greenville plus the only top 1000 high school in WNC. Hendersonville has more grocery stores than I have ever seen in a small town + it has a pretty nice downtown where 3 new restaurants are set to open before the end of the year. Taxes are cheaper in Henderson county than Buncombe.
And as far as towns around Asheville, I suspect Hendersonville is the only one with any semblance of nightlife which was one of the things on the OP's wish list. And as you said, the amount of grocery stores is amazing in H'ville. In fact, the amount of stores in general (as well as traffic) in H'ville is more like a little city than a town in many places. We just moved here from a town of 22000 people and the traffic was nothing like it is in H'ville. I guess it is because it is the seat of Henderson county and many people come in for not only all kinds of shopping, but also work. The fact that Hendersonville officially has a population of 12K+ is very deceiving. It is much, much busier than one would expect of a town of 12K people. With that, I also find that there are usually people still strolling about at 10 at night, both tourists and people that live there, just enjoying the downtown along with a few open restaurants and places to have a drink or two. There is also a lot of outdoor seating for restaurants which is one of the things I really appreciate about the town.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:51 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,006 times
Depends on how you define a small town. For some, if they come from a big city,
Asheville is a small place. For others, if they come from a tiny town, Asheville is a good sized city. Do you have a population size for your small town? There are so many great places in this area so more specifics would help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina