Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 05:59 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,046,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriMurph View Post
I've been trying to keep up with local events in the WNC region, and the biggest problem I've seen seems to be crackheads and lost/missing pets.
Whoa... that's deep, man... DEEP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriMurph View Post
I would really like to know, though, if there are any Muslims, mosques, training camps in the area? I ask this in all honesty, because the population seems to be growing where I live now, and that scares me.
A mosque? You can put your weed in it.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:02 PM

575 posts, read 1,198,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuck View Post
Being opposed to fundamentalism and anti-muslim bias does not make you anti-Christian. And nobody around here has ever asked me to listen to their opinion. Real mountain people barely mention their faith and leave you alone with yours.

I guess we know different mountain people. Ones I know gladly talk and share their faith in Christ. Ever heard of Billy Graham? Franklin Graham? But then again, I doubt they do that in Asheville.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:26 PM

358 posts, read 785,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoDan View Post
Nah, I'm going to hang around. America, land of the free and home of the brave.

Good for you....precisely why I give my opinions here.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:33 PM

243 posts, read 477,748 times
Maybe people should spend less time calling names and more time sticking to facts and answering the question. There is no disputing that throughout history many have died at the hands of those advancing many religions. We have had attacks in the US, although most of the ones by "Christians" aren't done so to advance the religion....they are typically anti-government and almost always a single person or very small number of people. However around the world and on 6 continents currently there is only 1 religion now slaughtering hundreds of thousands because they aren't of the right sect of 1 religion.

Being we are a free country there are many from this religion which are taking advantage of this freedom and training, including very large numbers in South Carolina, to do so through violent means and advance the 'peaceful religion'. So his question is not a dumb one. With the link I post don't take the easy liberal way and say; it's fox news so it's false, which is a logical fallacy. Disprove the message if it isn't accurate. There are Muslim training camps all over the US training to kill Americans. Now before you say, well there are white-supremacy and militia training camps....remember, they aren't traveling the globe slaughtering folks but muslim extremists are.

This doesn't mean all muslims are bad, but pretending this doesn't exist in the US is at best naive.

Terrorist Training Camps in the US | Military.com

Now to answer. Crime around here is about average for the US. i know there is a decent number of Muslims in and around Hendersonville (at least more than you might expect but probably no more than 1-2% of the population). I am not sure of mosques. I don't know of any training camps in the area, the closest is in South Carolina. I am friends with 2 muslims (I am a Christian) from the area and they travel to an Atlanta mosque. My general feeling is like most Christians, most muslims don't understand what their religions core beliefs are, why those beliefs are, and what the Bible/Quran says about those beliefs. I think most muslims just want to live in peace, but those that read the Quran and do as it says exactly....end up committing the atrocities you see. I also imagine the ones that just want to live in peace just want to keep their heads down and avoid trouble even if they disagree with what is going on (probably like Christians here at the height of the KKK).

Last edited by oneluckymug; 09-30-2014 at 07:46 PM..

Old 09-30-2014, 08:20 PM

279 posts, read 533,891 times
So we are supposed to take a spokesman for a media outlet called "The Christian Action Network" seriously? Google Martin Mawyer. Irresponsible and inflammatory. You might look at this: http://www.iqou-moa.org/ If you dig in, you'll find that they pretty much want the same things you do.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:08 PM

243 posts, read 477,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuck View Post
So we are supposed to take a spokesman for a media outlet called "The Christian Action Network" seriously? Google Martin Mawyer. Irresponsible and inflammatory. You might look at this: Home - The Muslims of America If you dig in, you'll find that they pretty much want the same things you do.
You mean the site that calls Jews "the devil". Yeah I don't think we want the same things. Mr. Yuck, do you think that Jews are the Devil?

again, dispute the message. I suppose everyone is wrong. The NYPost, The NYTimes (as left as a paper gets) the FBI, Homeland Security, who else?

Again, disprove the message. Attacking the material solely on the source is a logical fallacy, and holds no water.

Also don't turn this around to believe I am talking about all muslims, which is clearly stated in my previous post.

It actually benefits the US to allow the camps. Concentrates what would already be occurring in a country of 350 million and allows it to be easily followed and tracked.

I'll give the MOA some credit...they are true Americans with the Law suits. The Christian Action Network appears to be standing by their findings despite the suit and the MOA just lost a lawsuit against the police.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:55 PM

279 posts, read 533,891 times
You mean the site that calls Jews "the devil"

I did not see that. I believe you if you say it is there and find that reprehensible too.

Shortly after 9/11, somebody who had just resigned from the State Department wrote an article that was published in The New Yorker about how Al Qaeda would look like us and slaughter us in malls. Can't find it now. Never came to pass. I remain much more worried about some lunatic with a gun heading into my son's elementary than I am about a fumbled shoe bomb, a couple people killed in Boston by bombers who really stank at bombing, or the random beheading committed by a nutjob.

I think we are going to be just fine, and should not live in fear until the sea level rises so much that the whole East Coast tries to move to WNC. We've got guns and bears and Poison Oak and rabid animals up here. Together, we will hold off the Muslim hordes.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:40 AM

78 posts, read 85,798 times
No, tulcer, I haven't gone... I work and have a life other than hanging out on the computer all day. I believe I said before that this had run its course for me, as I don't care to spend my free time getting attacked by strangers on a computer screen for my thoughts and concerns.

I hope you thank (insert your choice of deity here) every day that you are fortunate enough to live in a safe and secure area and that you don't have to worry about what lurks around the next corner. But you making fun or berating me or others because we have legitimate, real-world concerns or have opinions that differ from yours is just plain mean and immature.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:52 AM

411 posts, read 415,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucler View Post
168 men, women and children are blown to pieces by a Christian terrorist in your home state, but it is the Muslims you are worried about. One murder by a Muslim and you're ready to leave the state.
As I said before; If crime is your main concern, then your question should be, ' Are there many Christian fundamentalists or Conservative militia types in our area. If there is trouble, it will come from them.
Only one reason comes to mind that the Muslims would be your concern and not those who actually commit crimes in our area.
If you're referring to Timothy McVeigh....there's very little evidence that he was a christian. He didn't blow that building up in the name of god.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:46 AM

358 posts, read 785,873 times
The OP was concerned about crime in this area, but only that crime that may be ascribed to a Muslim, and of course we all know Muslims only commit crimes in the name of Allah. Several on this forum wish to disassociate Christians from the crimes they commit by noting motivation. If someone kills you for your car or your money or God, you are just as dead.
The majority of crimes in this area are caused by Christians, Christians that are not living their faith. What crimes are committed by Muslims are committed by Muslims that are not living their faith.
We all know the motivation of those who exaggerate the threat posed by Muslims, we saw it after 9/11, we saw it with the Japanese after Pearl Harbor, with Jews, the Irish....Blacks. There is nothing new here, the past is prologue. We exaggerate the threat of that which we don't understand.

The OP is in greater danger from Christians in this area than Muslims. But we all know that that was not the motivation for the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina