Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 02:16 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

I think given what you want you might want to check out Lake Lure

Here's a link with good pics.... JIM PROCTOR PHOTOGRAPHY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 04:15 AM

244 posts, read 714,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Maybe I drove around the wrong sections, but the parts of Lake James I saw were mostly-downtrodden homes and a fairly unappealing lake. Absolutely nothing like the sections of Lake Toxaway I've seen.

If the Marion/Morganton area were more appealing for other reasons, a (much, much) smaller version of Toxaway is Lake Tahoma, in McDowell Co. There are some beautiful homes and a nice community meeting house out in the water. Not much happens up the NC 80 corridor, and your shopping options in Marion are severely limited -- but, it is a closer drive than Brevard is from Toxaway, and you can get to the Blue Ridge Pkwy in about 20 minutes; Asheville in probably 40-45?

I'm not sure which Lake James you saw but 95%+ of the shoreline in the one I know is picturesque and naturalistic. The Lake is beautifully situated in the foothills of the Blue Ridge and is ringed by high end developments created by Crescent Resources. There are some more humble abodes as you drive around the Lake but few if any of them are waterfront.

Lake Tahoma is also beautiful but only a few, very expensive properties are available there at any given time. Marion has a Wal-Mart and a Lowes in a shopping center quite close to Lake James.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:15 AM

16 posts, read 48,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think given what you want you might want to check out Lake Lure

Here's a link with good pics.... JIM PROCTOR PHOTOGRAPHY
thanks...will check it out

Old 10-07-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Personally, I'd say look at Lake James If I didn't live on a mountain I'd want to live there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lake...w=1280&bih=685
I would like to live in the mountains too. My wife likes to see the lake. We currently live on a lake and would compromise (?) by having BOTH lakeview and mountain view.
I love mountain ranges that go on forever and if I had a lake below that would be the ticket.
My wife loves sunrise as we live on west side of lake. We do not need to be on the water but access would be nice and looking down the length of a lake with mountain views in the distance would be stellar.Looks like we will check Lake James, Lake Lure, Lake Glenville and Toxaway.
Your thoughts are welcome.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Just FYI, as far as I know, almost all the lakes in the NC mountains are man-made, not natural deep lakes like the finger lakes. Lots of natural trout streams and rivers, but not a big natural lake area. Still pretty, but sometimes folks, especially from the finger lakes region, etc, are looking for the same kinds of lakes here.

Thanks for your input. Would not bother me but since my wife holds Skaneateles in such high regard, I need to show her the best of the best in western NC or Eastern TN or even westernSC or western Ga
She wants water, doesn't want it too hot in summer, doesn't like Air Conditioning. We are blessed and I would hope there is another place besides Skaneateles. Thanks

Old 10-07-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Does it have to be in NC?

Try Lake Chatuge in Hiawassee, GA if a lake view is your thing. Lake Toxaway is so far from everyday shopping as has been mentioned.

Lake Chatuge is bigger (7,000 acres) and the houses with lake views are less expensive ... and I honestly think Lake Chatuge is prettier as far as vistas go. And shopping isn't a haul. You could even live on the NC side because the lake is half in GA and half in NC. With the GA side though, you get a magnificent view of the Tusquitee Mountains over in NC and they are a rose-purple color when viewed across the lake.

I'm still considering eventually moving back to western NC, but I will really miss that lake if I do.
...will try to check it out
Besides lake view and mountain view, we need shopping nearby and of course golf.
Can you spell "spoiled'?
Thanks

Old 10-07-2014, 01:39 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
I've been researching the area myself and another lake that looks wonderful is Fontana Lake, a place I definitely plan on visiting.

Boating, Fishing on Fontana Lake and Cheoah Lake - Marinas, Fishing Guides - Fontana Dam

Bryson City seems to be the closest, but again, I'm not familiar, so I can't tell you about shopping. Do a google image search, though. Some of the scenery is fantastic! And the color of the lake itself is amazing.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:46 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinerino View Post
I want to live on a mountain overlooking a long lake. finding one may be difficult especially when you throw in shopping nearby and golf.
I was told 3000 elevation provides for a nice summer
thanks for your insight. as far as Lake James, I will look at it.
coming south on 81 from the north, can you point me in the right direction regarding Lake James. someone mentioned the south or southeast section of lake James.
Trying to make sure i find what you are referring to.
thanks
If you want 3000ft where there are no mosquitoes and virtually no bugs and you will never see 90F again, Lake James is at 1000 feet, where Summers will be buggy, hot and humid.

You can get 3000ft plus at or around Lake Toxaway (Sapphire, NC) however it is in the middle of nowhere. Brevard is the closest town and the road from Toxaway to Brevard is a nightmare of turns on a two lane road where if you get to 30mph, you are going too fast.

The good news is that Atlanta is only 150 miles away and Clemson is 50.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:06 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinerino View Post
...will try to check it out
Besides lake view and mountain view, we need shopping nearby and of course golf.
Can you spell "spoiled'?
Thanks

You may want to investigate Connestee Falls, in Brevard NC. Lakes and very nice golf course there. Mountain views and lovely retirement community at about 3,300 ft. www.connesteefalls.com and/or www.connesteefalls.com

Old 10-08-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I've been researching the area myself and another lake that looks wonderful is Fontana Lake, a place I definitely plan on visiting.

Boating, Fishing on Fontana Lake and Cheoah Lake - Marinas, Fishing Guides - Fontana Dam

Bryson City seems to be the closest, but again, I'm not familiar, so I can't tell you about shopping. Do a google image search, though. Some of the scenery is fantastic! And the color of the lake itself is amazing.
A golfing buddy of mine from The Villages Fl just built a new home at Fontana...not sure that he is on the lake. The only thought that i heard was that water levels can change dramatically. also way out in the boonies. nevertheless i have it on my list to check out
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina