Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 05:39 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,880,321 times

Advertisements

I am SO happy and totally stunned, this happened so fast !

Same-sex marriages begin in Asheville

http://www.ashvegas.com/gay-couples-...an-struck-down

the first couples already got married tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 07:20 PM

358 posts, read 786,096 times
One step closer to what the constitution truly stands for.....EQUALITY. It's been a long time coming.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:20 PM

279 posts, read 533,980 times
Now everyone has the right to choose badly and be unhappy. Yaay!

Old 10-11-2014, 04:45 PM

729 posts, read 1,505,493 times
^^^
That's exactly right! Equality for all!

Old 10-12-2014, 03:36 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,046,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuck View Post
Now everyone has the right to choose badly and be unhappy. Yaay!
Good luck to the newly married gay couples; alas, signing a legal document is not the key to happiness. Gay marriage divorce is just as common as straight divorce.
About the only ones that are going to benefit from this are the lawyers, I'm afraid. But... c'est la vie.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:06 AM

729 posts, read 1,505,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
Good luck to the newly married gay couples; alas, signing a legal document is not the key to happiness. Gay marriage divorce is just as common as straight divorce.
About the only ones that are going to benefit from this are the lawyers, I'm afraid. But... c'est la vie.
That may be true in some cases but that has been no reason to deny a group of people their right to marry the one they love and enjoy the benefits that do come with marriage. I have been blesses with a wonderful marriage for 22 years and it makes me very happy to know that many of my friends can now have an opportunity to have the same

Old 10-12-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by young92 View Post
That may be true in some cases but that has been no reason to deny a group of people their right to marry the one they love and enjoy the benefits that do come with marriage. I have been blesses with a wonderful marriage for 22 years and it makes me very happy to know that many of my friends can now have an opportunity to have the same
that's exactly how I feel as well !

you might have heard that Asheville's 'flag gate' made it to the headlines. because .... that's what Hitler does.
I am not sure if those people know, that Hitler loved gays so much he actually sent them to cozy concentration camps . together with the handcapped, the mentally ill, the jewish, the intellectuals ... and all those who did not fit the nazi agenda.

supporting inequaltity (because of race, gender), excluding certain groups, dismantle education to keep the sheep dumb ... reminds me much more of nazi germany.

I am totally fine with seeing pictures of Asheville popping up everywhere now - just reading the comments shows that we have a long path in front of us and this was a huge step.

I don't think any of us who has not walked in their shoes knows how poorly gay people were (and will be) treated. this law won't change that over night - but it gives them a back up and shows them a silver lining.

here is one of the articles about AVL's 'scandal':

Republicans Say Rainbow Flags Remind them of Nazi Flags - But Actual Nazi Flags Don't

Old 10-14-2014, 03:43 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,046,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by young92 View Post
That may be true in some cases but that has been no reason to deny a group of people their right to marry the one they love and enjoy the benefits that do come with marriage.
Truuuuuuuuueeeeeee...

I agree, they shouldn't be denied the right to marriage, but they shouldn't expect this to be the key to happiness.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:31 PM

would be foolish to expect that - straight or gay. Just read today, that Thom Tillis is trying to fight it. Am I surprised ? I am just glad we don't have any real problems to take care of. like poverty and education ....

Old 10-15-2014, 05:54 AM

358 posts, read 786,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
Truuuuuuuuueeeeeee...

I agree, they shouldn't be denied the right to marriage, but they shouldn't expect this to be the key to happiness.

I don't see why anybody ( Gay, straight, Black, White, crippled or blind) would think marriage is the key to happiness........although in my case it was. Don't expect it, but be grateful when it happens. The Gay community now has that chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: