U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:26 AM

6 posts, read 5,182 times

Advertisements

I must have missed the call for bike paths everywhere on all roads. But I'm familiar with the argument of "if we can't do it everywhere then we'll do it nowhere."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 09:10 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,124,929 times
Bike paths, walking path, trails. IMO there is no downside to this. Encouraging people to move, put their keys down. Walk, cycle, run. Reduces pollution, obesity, heart disease, the list goes on. Encourages people to get out and really see their environment as opposed to going from house to car to store.
When I use to ride my bike to and from my university it was such a wonderful feeling. I admit it I love the great outdoors, exercise, cool mountain air and any excuse to be outside. I freely admit my bias
And I do think the west in general gets some things right regarding their progressiveness in this area. We east coasters should not be threatened by this but at the least be open to suggestions .

Old 10-20-2014, 10:10 AM

4,485 posts, read 8,893,856 times
Most readers/posters here are all for 'bike paths'...
as mentioned a few times, the problems/challenges are terrain, current road layout, & money.

I don't recall reading any anti-bike path posts.

Imo, the OP is a pot stirrer, and a toss up thread poster that historically does not return to their thread for any discussion.

Most posters' activity is viewable on CD, which is often tale telling, imo.
GL, D

Old 10-20-2014, 06:40 PM

221 posts, read 418,959 times
For anyone who is local and serious about this issue (not just "pot-stirring"), there will be a symposium on transportation and mobility in Asheville on October 25.

From the announcement:
On October 25, the public is encouraged to participate in a symposium on Asheville’s transportation future. The event will feature a panel discussion, community exercises and opportunities to let the community know your biggest priorities for mobility in Asheville.
Input and information will become part of the city’s AIM mobility plan, which will meet Asheville’s growth and transportation needs by changing how we think about getting around.
“In the past, we have thought of sidewalks, bicycle infrastructure and streets as being in different silos,” says Transportation Manager Mariate Echeverry. “The best way to build a mobility network that gives attention to all forms of transportation is to examine them in a holistic, interconnected way.”

Oct. 25 symposium draws community into transportation planning > City Of Asheville

Old 10-20-2014, 07:32 PM

5,686 posts, read 5,810,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noctiluca View Post
“In the past, we have thought of sidewalks, bicycle infrastructure and streets as being in different silos,” says Transportation Manager Mariate Echeverry. “The best way to build a mobility network that gives attention to all forms of transportation is to examine them in a holistic, interconnected way.”

Silos? I'm assuming she means compartments. I tried to research her background online to see if perhaps she had served in the military, as that would explain the use of the term. Either that, or an agricultural background. If military, though, she may be able to actually get things done logistically. Surely she has an engineering background, but the only info I could come up with was her present position.

It's good she's going to get community input, though. Then you have to do a plan. Then it has to be funded. And then someone actually needs to execute the plan. Takes time, but it's great to see forward-thinking.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:06 PM

76 posts, read 107,245 times
I visited Pittsburgh recently, and the downtown & surrounding areas are very hilly, like Asheville, and even more so in some neighborhoods, yet that city still manages to put sidewalks everywhere, and is building plenty of bike paths.

I don't think Asheville's hilly terrain is an excuse not to build sidewalks and bike paths. Of course raising the money to do so is an entirely different matter.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:32 AM

1,603 posts, read 2,941,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Silos? I'm assuming she means compartments. I tried to research her background online to see if perhaps she had served in the military, as that would explain the use of the term. Either that, or an agricultural background.
Actually, I hear that term used quite a bit in business jargon. It's used primarily to convey that each division/idea/group are working independently of each other and are not working towards the greater good, ie., the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing (typical in most government bodies)

With regards to bike paths and more sidewalks, I'm all for it, however, you have to consider the economic impact for such endeavors. I would like to know from the OP (or others) how he/she would suggest paying for such a venture? To retrofit and entire city with sidewalks and bike paths would require millions and millions of dollars. And while, I'm sure that the good people of Asheville, in theory, would love such things. I doubt that they would want their property taxes ballooning proportionately in order to pay for it.

Last edited by Halo_in_reverse; 10-21-2014 at 08:26 AM..

Old 10-21-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
Actually, I hear that term used quite a bit in business jargon. It's used primarily to convey that each division/idea/group are working independently of each other and are not working towards the greater good, ie., the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing (typical in most government bodies)

With regards to bike paths and more sidewalks, I'm all for it, however, you have to consider the economic impact for such endeavors. I would like to know from the OP (or others) how he/she would suggest paying for such a venture? To retrofit and entire city with sidewalks and bike paths would require millions and millions of dollars. And while, I'm sure that the good people of Asheville, in theory, would love such things. I doubt that they would want their property taxes ballooning proportionately in order to pay for it.
Well, it was a new one on me, but I'm not much up on current business/government jargon.

I agree, it sounds like a massive undertaking. Does Asheville have a bed tax? Any kind of tourist tax. over and above the usual? Mind you, I"m not suggesting it, just curious. Typically, such a project would be scaled back and funded by taxes on tourist related enterprise, or a fee on real estate transactions or some sort of thing. Sometimes a hike in local sales taxes. All of which would meet with a certain amount of opposition.

I think this lady is doing the right thing by at least opening the lines of communication on the issue and finding out what is wanted by the population. Get an idea of what's really needed. It would be silly to spend millions on bike paths that end up getting used only by a handful of upscale hipsters to show off their trendy biking gear and exercise ethic.

In the end, let Asheville be Asheville, whatever that may be.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:06 AM

This guy did a two part "This is Asheville" three camera go-pro driving tour, which as an outsider, I found fascinating. I must say, there doesn't seem to be any shortage of sidewalks. Also saw trolleys, or buses made to look like trolleys, not sure if that's strictly for tourists or for getting around or some combination.

The camera-switching is a little confusing, but I really enjoyed the videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFydda5WleM

Old 10-21-2014, 09:34 AM

1,603 posts, read 2,941,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post

I agree, it sounds like a massive undertaking. Does Asheville have a bed tax? Any kind of tourist tax. over and above the usual? Mind you, I"m not suggesting it, just curious. Typically, such a project would be scaled back and funded by taxes on tourist related enterprise, or a fee on real estate transactions or some sort of thing. Sometimes a hike in local sales taxes. All of which would meet with a certain amount of opposition.
I think they already do have a room occupancy tax History of Room Tax in Buncombe County | BCTDA It seems though that it was increased recently though? Maybe someone more in the know could shed some light.

I suspect that money from room tax and other tourist related items are already ear-marked in the annual city budget since they've been in play for a while.

I looked around to see how a few other cities were paying for their sidewalk improvement/development projects. Apparently Kansas City makes the property owners pay for it KCMO.gov » Sidewalks

Ithaca, NY makes an annual assessment of "districts"
Ithaca, NY - Departments - Department of Public Works - Engineering - Sidewalk Program

Chicago apparently does something similar
City of Chicago :: Capital Improvement Program

And finally ..... Portland (which by the way) was the jewel of a city to which ours is being compared by the OP makes their property owners pay for repairs to the sidewalks in/around their homes.
https://www.portlandoregon.gov/trans...article/301362

Sidewalk repair bills rack up | KOIN.com

Now, I cannot imagine the majority of property owners being very happy about being billed for installation/repairs of sidewalks to which they had no say so in who were doing the installation plus the cost associated with such.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear about them ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina