U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which >900 sq. Ft. building would you rather build or live in
A-Frame 15 68.18%
Katrina Cottage 3 13.64%
Container Home 1 4.55%
Tent 1 4.55%
trailer 2 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:02 AM

28 posts, read 79,075 times

Advertisements

Keep a close eye on the new Walmart Super Center being built in Wilkes. That store and Lowes will be 2 good stores to buy essential things at good prices. THe plants at Lowes and some tools etc. There will be more choice. Gas prices came down here. So things are at a good cost of living. I always go to Lowes for stuff for my 6.5 acres property here. We have added new appliances and done all the landscaping using the seed, plants and varieties from lowes .....this is a great place to have a mt retreat even if its all yr around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 04:35 AM

36 posts, read 168,333 times
Default NewWal-Mart in Wilkes

thanks Mtgirl0416.. I have a well worn path the the Lowes and WalMart in both Boone and Lenoir, I Did come through Wilkesboro the last trip up and saw where the wal-mart is there too, those stores a definite stop when I have yo go to town. There is an Ellers Store, an old standby closer to me on the mountain that carries gas, propane, deer corn, chain, sandwiches and an amazing variety for a "little" store, oh, and they even got beer too! My closet big town is Boone, about 10 miles, then Lenoir the other way, then Wilkesboro, its just the way I like it. How did you find your "little Peice o' paradise"?

Old 11-06-2008, 04:43 AM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 20,447,443 times
A frames should go great in Western Wilkes County. Do you have a builder yet, or are you planning to build it yourself. I love the A-Frame on Highway 115 just a couple of miles outside of town.

You will get snow in that area. I am curious as to the location. 421, 268, 16, 18, Old 16, etc.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:01 AM

I'm building it myself, with my neighbors help and whoever is around when I come up.Im locatedwhole off Sampson Road right at the tip of western wilkes county, my closest little town is Buffalo Cove, they have a church, and a store, thats the town.When I walk into Todds general store I know 3 outta the five people who are in there, its great. I have gotten snow already not as much as in Boone, but we get it!

Old 11-06-2008, 05:44 AM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 20,447,443 times
I looked up Buffalo Cove and City-Data does not recognize it. Sampson Road did all right for the google. You are in the boonies, lol. Being in Wilkes County boonies is just about as good as it gets in my opinion. I have ten acres in Millers Creek, but that is not nearly far enough out. Just X out the direct message. Looks like you don't need it. I went to school with a lot of Eller's. They are really nice people. Enjoy!

Have you discovered the Shoppe's on the Parkway yet. Shopping will not be a problem in Wilkes. People come from several counties to shop there. When we were in school the statistics stated that Wilkes has a higher ratio of shoppers per population than Winston-Salem.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:49 AM

instead of Buffalo Cove, google "Todds Store" that will bring up alot of info their son has posted on the Web, its the place everyone meets in the morning before work, a place to leave messages for neighbors, grab a sandwich or a mini pizza, and a neat spot to sit and people watch, some folks felt like they got "the Deliverance stare" the first time they walked in, but that wears off quick, hee-hee....

Old 12-08-2008, 04:52 PM

Welll, here it is the 8th of December and I haven't got the walls up yet, but I am going u after Christmas to get a load of block, hey, I'm doing ok for being in a global economic crisis, maybe the price of materials is going down too? I am hoping to get the walls up soon.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:11 PM

535 posts, read 1,497,301 times
Man, it's been brutal up here lately. I don't envy you having to work outside in this mess. Bring lots of coffee and something to, ahem, "warm it up".

Old 12-08-2008, 06:43 PM

Default Brutal weather

I hear ya, my neighbors on the mountain are telling me about cracked water pipes and lots of propane refills, at least the drought seems to have let up a bit. Yeah, hoping for a sunny day to put up Block!

Old 12-08-2008, 06:47 PM

535 posts, read 1,497,301 times
November was coldest in a few years, December has been a tad chilly to say the least. On Saturday I walked outside to get the paper and man, I'll never do that again unless I have shoes on and something on under my robe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or