U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: which >900 sq. Ft. building would you rather build or live in
A-Frame 15 68.18%
Katrina Cottage 3 13.64%
Container Home 1 4.55%
Tent 1 4.55%
trailer 2 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 07:57 AM

36 posts, read 139,041 times
Default Building an A-Frame in the Mountains

I'm in the 1st stages of building an A-Frame Cabin in the mountains in western Wilkes County. I just got the Septic put in and am trying to get some blueprints approved for it, I am surprised at the lack of A-Frame kits on the market, its the simplest, cheapest style of building, I have poured over information on every type of A-Frame, found 1 guy that builds them, and deliver trusses and will deliver "http://david.martiniii.tripod.com/index-2.html" but it seems with the need for housing since the Devastating Hurricanes of 05 there would have been some small start ups making these simple kits for quick housing, there were LOTS of them in the 60s, but now, ZIP! I have researched Katrina Cottages, and container Homes, even "Concrete Canvas" but the A-frame design seems like a natural remedy. Are people totally against that idea, not aware or WHAT? Is there not enough money in it to sell? Well, D*MN the torpedoes, I can barely manage to pay the mortgage and taxes on this condo in Florida, but my job and income are here for now, so I am using anything left over to get this A-frame up on the mountain property I bought 15 years ago because I cant afford anything else and know in 10 years when its time to retire I wont be able to afford to live here in Ft. Lauderdale. Any suggestions are welcome at "http://jonathansmountaincabin.wetpaint.com"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 08:34 AM

168 posts, read 443,128 times
Good Luck with your A-Frame! My grandparents had one on the Wabash River near Covington, IN years ago and it was such a treat to stay there as a child! Your post brings back great memories!

Old 12-31-2007, 08:35 AM

442 posts, read 867,922 times
Have you considered building a small cabin - one mainroom with a bedroom and bath? A-frames - like you said were popular in the 60's but seem out-of-date today - Plus they were mainly built in areas where heavy snow is an issue - which is not the case in most of western NC. There are log of small log home builders out there and lots of plans that you can get off the internet. Check out the log home/timber home magazines. I am sure you can find existing plans that would fit your needs. Also the "Not So Big House" books have lots of good info for building a small home that utilizes space well. Best of luck to you - Happy New year!

Old 12-31-2007, 08:37 PM

652 posts, read 1,448,664 times
Default Tipi

TIPI....duhhhhh

Old 01-02-2008, 07:02 PM

Default Not the Snow, the VIEW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
Have you considered building a small cabin - one mainroom with a bedroom and bath? A-frames - like you said were popular in the 60's but seem out-of-date today - Plus they were mainly built in areas where heavy snow is an issue - which is not the case in most of western NC. There are log of small log home builders out there and lots of plans that you can get off the internet. Check out the log home/timber home magazines. I am sure you can find existing plans that would fit your needs. Also the "Not So Big House" books have lots of good info for building a small home that utilizes space well. Best of luck to you - Happy New year!
There are a number of reasons I went with an A-Frame plan, the Cost and Simplicity to build are near the top of the list,also the view I have of the mountains would really be an AWESOME thing to wake up to in the Loft of an A-Frame, it is a cheaper way to get a 2 story high view. Also, its an old style, but unique, and I am kinda old and unique too, so that works...Happy New Year to you too!

Old 01-02-2008, 08:05 PM

442 posts, read 867,922 times
Are you planning to stick build your A-frame or will there be elements of timber frame or log?

Old 01-02-2008, 08:05 PM

2,885 posts, read 15,725 times
A-frames are beautiful, esp. in the surroundings you describe. Stick with it and much luck to you!

Old 01-02-2008, 09:16 PM

Default A-frame, Stick built or Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
Are you planning to stick build your A-frame or will there be elements of timber frame or log?
The ultimate would be to use logs for the trusses, but, the truth
is, I may only be able to afford standard lumber, I also am being educated as I go, and the building inspectors codes appear to require graded lumber which means even though I have pine trees to spare withing 50 feet (leaving all the hardwoods) I dont think homecut lumber will pass inspection, I have to casually inquire what will be permitted, but having log trusses would be my preference, and striking to look at!!

Old 02-02-2008, 05:22 AM

Default A-Frame Blueprints almost ready for permit approval, how long does ths take?

I am due to recieve my blueprints this week, the Wilkes County inspector will hopefully approve my plans and give me the building permit, does anyone know how long it will take before I know I'm approved? is it an immediat thing or does it take a few weeks???

Old 02-07-2008, 01:51 PM

42 posts, read 77,307 times
Caribe704 please keep us up updated, My first home was an A-Frame and I loved it! They are best when the front of them are all windows. May i ask what plans you went with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina