Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 12:38 PM

4 posts, read 19,663 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a beautiful town close to the mountains in western North Carolina? We're a somewhat conservative, Christian family with young children. I homeschool. My husband is a controller so it couldn't likely be a tiny, tiny town or it wouldn't be likely he could find a comparable job to what he has now. We just want mountains, not liberal, somewhat close to Smokie Mountains (pigeon Forge area), not a crowded city but a good country town feel. I keep reading good things about Asheville but it sounds too liberal for me. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also would consider locations in Northern Georgia.

Thanks in advance!
jojo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 01:12 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
How big of a population do you want? Many towns and cities in the outlying areas of the City of Asheville are traditionally conservative. The Asheville Metro Area is made up of Buncombe, Haywood, Henderson and Madison counties.

Mountain Region - http://www.city-data.com/forum/1322401-post1.html

Old 12-31-2007, 04:33 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Have you thought about Waynesville, Brevard, or Boone?

Brevard would be close enough to Asheville for a commute?

Old 01-02-2008, 08:36 AM

132 posts, read 126,571 times
Default Your husband is a controller????

I'm afraid you will not find a lot of industry, just 'happening' to be looking for people to higher....There maybe a few....but a lot of industry has been moving out....
Good luck...you'll need if you try to mix the two

Old 01-02-2008, 11:54 AM

19 posts, read 82,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojomom View Post
Can anyone recommend a beautiful town close to the mountains in western North Carolina? We're a somewhat conservative, Christian family with young children. I homeschool. My husband is a controller so it couldn't likely be a tiny, tiny town or it wouldn't be likely he could find a comparable job to what he has now. We just want mountains, not liberal, somewhat close to Smokie Mountains (pigeon Forge area), not a crowded city but a good country town feel. I keep reading good things about Asheville but it sounds too liberal for me. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also would consider locations in Northern Georgia.

Thanks in advance!
jojo
Have you considered Greenville, SC? I used to live there, and I would love to go back. We lived in Greer, and I loved living on the east side. The area is big enough to offer the type of employment your husband is looking for, it's close to the mountains (I could see the Blue Ridge from my windows), it's only 2.5 hrs. away from the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area (we had an annual pass), it's conservative, we went to a great church with an amazing youth group (Praise Cathedral), the city is small, but attractive with the beautiful Reedy River running right through surrounded by parks with occasional outdoor plays, it has a small but lovely zoo, and everything is easily accessible. Also, a big plus, you get a good bit of house for the money. The same Ryan home we had in Greenville sold for $60,000 more in Charlotte, so when we moved, we couldn't afford to buy the same home. If you curently own a home, and you're coming from an area where homes are pricey, you'll be able to afford a very lovely home in Greenville,SC. You'll also like all of the nearby "mountain activities." While I lived there, we went on a multitude of moutain day trips to numerous places and events -festivals, the North Carolina Nature Center, Brevard, Flat Rock, Hendersonville, Bat Cave, Asheville, and so much more. I miss it terribly, and my life in Charlotte, NC is blah in comparison-too far from the mountains. Also, even though you home school, if you change your mind later, there are some really great public schools on the east-side. You should check it out-you might be pleasantly surprised about what you find in Greenville, SC

Old 01-03-2008, 09:45 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
If you want to be close to Pigeon Forge, you may want to stay on the Tennessee side of the mountains. A west NC to east TN commute is simply not feasible - with the exception of I-40, most east-west roads are 2-lane and across the mountains. East Tenn is also more populated.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:38 PM

7 posts, read 6,483 times
As a conservative I am looking for western, NC locations to retire. I am leaving the extremely left progressive Montgomery County, MD where my ancestors started developing MD back in the 1600's but with the takeover of the left, it has deteriorated for decades. I want to be in a place where this kind of deterioration does not take place, and want a conservative area that is safe from criminality. Have been looking at Brevard since I have an artistic/creative background, but need to know its politics, conservative or liberal? I am more interested in the environment, forest, outdoors and convenience of town and medical care. Thank you for any suggestions.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:53 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletDove View Post
As a conservative I am looking for western, NC locations to retire. I am leaving the extremely left progressive Montgomery County, MD where my ancestors started developing MD back in the 1600's but with the takeover of the left, it has deteriorated for decades. I want to be in a place where this kind of deterioration does not take place, and want a conservative area that is safe from criminality. Have been looking at Brevard since I have an artistic/creative background, but need to know its politics, conservative or liberal? I am more interested in the environment, forest, outdoors and convenience of town and medical care. Thank you for any suggestions.
You're a politically conservative, artistic conservationist?

Instead of talking in code words and labels, why don't you just plainly state what you're looking for? Somewhere thats all white, homophobic and has a high percentage of NRA members? Somewhere with an active KKK chapter? A town that broadcasts Rush Limbaugh's show over loudspeakers at the town park? A place where only the rich have health care and everyone talks about how evil the "gubmint" is?

Have you considered Alabama?

Old 08-18-2015, 01:13 PM

395 posts, read 462,929 times
Originally Posted by ScarletDove

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post

Instead of talking in code words and labels, why don't you just plainly state what you're looking for? Somewhere thats all white, homophobic and has a high percentage of NRA members? Somewhere with an active KKK chapter? A town that broadcasts Rush Limbaugh's show over loudspeakers at the town park? A place where only the rich have health care and everyone talks about how evil the "gubmint" is?

Have you considered Alabama?

Wahahahaha!!! Your best post to date, Carolinadawg!

Old 08-18-2015, 01:23 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletDove View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasage View Post
Originally Posted by ScarletDove

Wahahahaha!!! Your best post to date, Carolinadawg!
I was thinking the same thing!

OP.....best move on from the Western NC/Tennessee area if "safe from criminality" is high on your list. The area you are looking at has more gun nuts than just about any area in the US. Artistic/creative are not words you hear often spoken.

Maybe think about living in the burbs/communities surrounding a University town. You'd get some diversity/creative thinking, plus a fair dose of Tea Party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina