Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2014, 05:10 PM

5 posts, read 6,500 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. My husband and I are coming on 11/9/14 - 11/12/14 to look at the area and properties in the counties around Boone and also over the line in Eastern TN. So excited!

We also found many properties in the Cherokee County area that look promising online. We were wondering if it would be worth our while to check out the areas like Murphy & Robbinsville.

One of our biggest questions about Cherokee County is WEATHER during summer. We've heard & read that the weather in the summer in Boone areas is comfortable and that the average temp year round is about 78 with low humidity. Seeing as Cherokee County is at a much lower elevation and so close to GA, I was wondering if it's hot & humid there and how it compares to the areas closer to Boone. We are from DE and the summers are nasty hot & humid and we hate it and are trying to get into a mountain area w/ less humidity, less people & more property.

We are self-employed running internet businesses so although we need internet access, we don't need to be where jobs are. We don't want neighbors close by and prefer a secluded area (but 20 mins or so from town). Murphy looks like houses are more spread out. We don't care about shopping, malls, restaurants, arts & entertainment, etc. We prefer to be more self sufficient and live a more secluded life enjoying our surroundings. We are Christians so we do need to find a new church in the area.

Does anyone have any info regarding weather specifically in the Cherokee County & surrounding areas? Also, I've read that there's not much in Murphy and some people were complaining it's just retirees and there's nothing to do. Well, that's the place for us then! We will be retiring there. Hiking, fishing and other outdoor activities are what we prefer.

Thanks. For any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 06:02 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Boone, NC elev 3300+ Pop 17k+ in non school time
Cherokee area elev <2000 ft Pop a couple thou
Murphy elev ~1600 ft Pop 1600

Western NC is a very large area, with a dozen plus towns, and with elevations ranging from 1200-6,000 ft.

Cherokee and Murphy would not be my pick for something considerably different than your DE summer, imo.

And, both are very lightly populated, spread across a fairly large area, with few services and amenities that one might be used to...

There are literally dozens of towns/areas that might fit your needs. I rec'd doing some searching on this forum via the Search This Forum Tab, upper right hand corner of main forum page.

Summer temps are all about elevation. Below ~2000 ft, you may experience near DE summer temps/conditions. It is all about your comfort zone. Literally all areas of western NC have "hiking, fishing, and other outdoor activities"...

Internet is highly variable in 'western NC' and in the areas you ref'd:
True high speed BB is mostly cable dependent, eg Charter Cable and a few others.
There is semi-BB from a few small privateers and a few wireless operators, (not telcos), in the non cable served areas.

Do some reading and I rec'd some serious looking, which may take more than a one week trip.

Eastern TN is not in my 'close in info bank', though we have driven/ridden through the area dozens of times.

My 50Cts.
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 11-02-2014 at 06:26 PM..

Old 11-02-2014, 07:06 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpahl View Post
Hey everyone. My husband and I are coming on 11/9/14 - 11/12/14 to look at the area and properties in the counties around Boone and also over the line in Eastern TN. We've heard & read that the weather in the summer in Boone areas is comfortable and that the average temp year round is about 78 with low humidity.
Average temp year round in Boone = 78 ?

It's more like 51..

Monthly Averages for Boone, NC (28607) - weather.com

Old 11-03-2014, 06:11 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpahl View Post
Hey everyone. My husband and I are coming on 11/9/14 - 11/12/14 to look at the area and properties in the counties around Boone and also over the line in Eastern TN. So excited!

We also found many properties in the Cherokee County area that look promising online. We were wondering if it would be worth our while to check out the areas like Murphy & Robbinsville.

One of our biggest questions about Cherokee County is WEATHER during summer. We've heard & read that the weather in the summer in Boone areas is comfortable and that the average temp year round is about 78 with low humidity. Seeing as Cherokee County is at a much lower elevation and so close to GA, I was wondering if it's hot & humid there and how it compares to the areas closer to Boone. We are from DE and the summers are nasty hot & humid and we hate it and are trying to get into a mountain area w/ less humidity, less people & more property.

We are self-employed running internet businesses so although we need internet access, we don't need to be where jobs are. We don't want neighbors close by and prefer a secluded area (but 20 mins or so from town). Murphy looks like houses are more spread out. We don't care about shopping, malls, restaurants, arts & entertainment, etc. We prefer to be more self sufficient and live a more secluded life enjoying our surroundings. We are Christians so we do need to find a new church in the area.

Does anyone have any info regarding weather specifically in the Cherokee County & surrounding areas? Also, I've read that there's not much in Murphy and some people were complaining it's just retirees and there's nothing to do. Well, that's the place for us then! We will be retiring there. Hiking, fishing and other outdoor activities are what we prefer.

Thanks. For any info!

I notice that you have another thread asking the same questions and several good responses on that thread. Looking for retirement home in Boone area, self-employed We often find that people wanting to "escape" where they are from, whether it's traffic, weather, crowded areas, internet access, etc., often want to be isolated as a way of avoiding what they had back home. If you only have 3 days, frankly that is not enough time to cover more than 1, possibly 2 counties in WNC. With a max of $180,000, Boone is not going to be a fit unless you are prepared to remodel. Give www.Realtor.com a comprehensive search before you leave.

This area is vast; if you are choosing areas away from it all so to speak, it is quite possible that you will find yourself relocating after a couple of years for more reasons than you left the other state. Cherokee for example is mainly an Indian reservation and you need to have Cherokee heritage to purchase in most of that area. Ditto for Robbinsville, Boone (2hrs. from Asheville) etc. If you want any amenities at all, try to stay within an hour or less from Asheville. Hot humid weather here is a non-issue, in TN it definitely will be an issue. Best wishes.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:05 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Ditto for Robbinsville, Boone (2hrs. from Asheville) etc. If you want any amenities at all, try to stay within an hour or less from Asheville. Hot humid weather here is a non-issue, in TN it definitely will be an issue. Best wishes.
This is completely incorrect as it relates to Boone. Boone has more than enough "amenities" based on what the OP has stated they are looking for. The world of WNC does not have to revolve around Asheville.

As for TN... the specific area of TN that was recommended to the OP is just over the state line from Watauga County, 30 min+/- from Boone. Climate and elevation similar to parts of Watauga.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina