Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 06:50 PM

9 posts, read 23,223 times

Advertisements

Im wondering if we're the only ones but heres our story: We placed a $700 deposit on a place to rent. The home owner sent us pictures prior to the deposit and an agreement that the money would be refunded within 2 weeks of us declining to rent from her. That was Dec 4. We have not seen the money, the home owner has been extremely sketchy, and we're wondering whats next. Is this some large time scam we fell into? Sounded good - walked the walk, talked the talk...and then the house was a PIT! (im almost positive they kept chickens inside) The home owner is a business owner in the town, as well as a registered real estate agent. Suggestions? others out there? Love to hear from you! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 07:30 AM

168 posts, read 691,390 times
I would suggest going into the person's business and speaking with them one on one...and I would continue to do so every day until your money is returned.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:52 AM

283 posts, read 1,291,095 times
Default renting

I am curious. Was the rental for a vacation, or to be used as a residence? Not that it matters, but I was just wondering.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:08 PM

764 posts, read 1,597,778 times
Not surprised. Even the in the rural areas, shady locals are trying to cash in on the 'boom' ....I guess they didn't get the word about the RE bubble bursting. Or maybe they did and are now concentrating on those forced into the rental market.

I know of a 12x12 'efficiency' going for $500 per month. Except it had no windows and the previous tenant was using a kerosene space heater! He cracked the door to vent the fumes..... They built a toilet and shower in the corner of the kitchen area and put up a shower curtain for privacy.
It is occupied today so that tells you something....

Old 01-05-2008, 01:57 AM

to answer all: it was to be used as a residence. Rent was cheap, and in the sticks. Sounded great for us with the dogs... From what we're hearing now, this individual is running a scam. SHe cashed in on our young naivety FOR SURE.
We are still out of town, but as soon as we are local, you can bet your boots we will be showing up SOMEWHERE everyday for our money.
From what we've been discussing with local authorities, we're planning to press charges if all recovery attempts fail.... THanks all for the responses so far!

Old 01-05-2008, 04:36 AM

905 posts, read 3,453,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourkidshave4legs View Post
to answer all: it was to be used as a residence. Rent was cheap, and in the sticks. Sounded great for us with the dogs... From what we're hearing now, this individual is running a scam. SHe cashed in on our young naivety FOR SURE.
We are still out of town, but as soon as we are local, you can bet your boots we will be showing up SOMEWHERE everyday for our money.
From what we've been discussing with local authorities, we're planning to press charges if all recovery attempts fail.... THanks all for the responses so far!
Perhaps you can contact the NC Real Estate Commission. I had a realtor problem once (not related to rentals), one phone call cleared up my problem in a hurry. Not sure if they can help since it is a rental, but he is representing himself as a real estate agent brokering a rental. Perhaps a real estate agent here can address that issue. Good Luck.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:57 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,170 times
JMO...give them a little more time. Many businesses were closed between Christmas and NY's, there was a snowstorm and it's just possible they will be back to work monday and you will get your check in a few days! Good luck!!!!

Old 01-05-2008, 08:17 AM

I think i need to clarify something - only my digging revealed the business and the real estate info - she was originally depicted to me as a woman (and her husband) that had a house for rent.. the individual owes me the money.. SHe keeps emailing me and giving me fake dates to expect it. "oh i'll have it there this saturday" or "oh my husband gets paid on friday and we can western union it" but nothing ever shows, and i can never get ahold of her. We're getting ready to make a cross country move, and that $700 was a large chunk of our funds!!!
I will try the Real Estate commission though, atleast they should know what shes up to!

Old 01-05-2008, 06:25 PM

283 posts, read 1,291,095 times
I hate to hear all of that. I wish you good luck in recovering your money. I feel certain that you will be able to prevail.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird22 View Post
I hate to hear all of that. I wish you good luck in recovering your money. I feel certain that you will be able to prevail.
thanks for the kind words! I hope it works out too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina