Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 06:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times

Advertisements

Three proposed apartment projects would bring a total of 667 new apartments to Asheville.
The largest of the three, a 309-unit complex on Fairview Road, has residents concerned over increased traffic volume they say will make the road more dangerous.
Asheville City Council is expected to vote on the projects Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 10:31 AM

307 posts, read 224,165 times
We moved here for a variety of reasons and knew some sort of growth would occur. Fairview Road (I'm assuming you're writing about the road that goes into 25 at one end and Home Depot (74a?) at the other) is rather narrow and coming off a side road to get onto Fairview Rd. is already dangerous since it's hard to see who's coming around the curves.

We already have an issue with the massive apt. complex by Earth Fare off Hendersonville Rd. I know when it's up and lived in, I'm not going to that area. Earth Fare is a joke anyway but I'll miss that Ingles.

We always have concerns anywhere about increased traffic and if this follows the normal patterns, the politicians will approve it. I love it here and I'm old enough to know that assuming my spouse predeceases me, I'm moving the heck out of this state. There's too much growth and for my liking, it's the wronggggg color!

Old 12-08-2014, 06:20 PM

76 posts, read 121,449 times
I don't think this city has the infrastructure to handle this kind of growth. 667 new apartments!? I'm glad I don't live on fairview rd.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:53 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Three proposed apartment projects would bring a total of 667 new apartments to Asheville.
The largest of the three, a 309-unit complex on Fairview Road, has residents concerned over increased traffic volume they say will make the road more dangerous.
Asheville City Council is expected to vote on the projects Tuesday.
Along with a lot of other proposals...

Current Meeting Agenda

Old 12-08-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Nomad View Post
I don't think this city has the infrastructure to handle this kind of growth. 667 new apartments!? I'm glad I don't live on fairview rd.
If the city council is smart they will require the developers to make the needed improvements to handle the growth. So far they've kept these things in mind. Whether or not they understand on larger scale or not is a good question. There's a lot of other projects in the works that would benefit greatly if the CC requires the needed infrastructure improvements.

We got in early on this and have pulled back some. It's a little strange to see how many developers are jumping in on the "gravy train" and just how many of those overstep is to be seen. The pro forma has to be there and accurate for it to be worthwhile. It won't do any good to build hundreds of units only to find you were late to the game and you're stuck giving lots of concessions just to fill the homes and keep them filled.

There's no doubt Asheville needs housing at affordable rates. I think they're about to get that within the coming years. Now if there was just an employee pool to pull from to manage this growth.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:44 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
NICE choice of numbers. 'T is the season.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
lol, didnt even think about that. If it was the number that area woulds be jinked with 911 calls

Old 12-09-2014, 07:55 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
If the city council is smart they will require the developers to make the needed improvements to handle the growth. So far they've kept these things in mind. Whether or not they understand on larger scale or not is a good question. There's a lot of other projects in the works that would benefit greatly if the CC requires the needed infrastructure improvements.

We got in early on this and have pulled back some. It's a little strange to see how many developers are jumping in on the "gravy train" and just how many of those overstep is to be seen. The pro forma has to be there and accurate for it to be worthwhile. It won't do any good to build hundreds of units only to find you were late to the game and you're stuck giving lots of concessions just to fill the homes and keep them filled.

There's no doubt Asheville needs housing at affordable rates. I think they're about to get that within the coming years. Now if there was just an employee pool to pull from to manage this growth.
In order to do this, they have to pay ppl better.

Just an example.... Developers are going to be building these apartments (if they're a local developer) and probably paying roughly $35k to $40k to manage construction projects. Way too low.

I dont see much growth in the Asheville area due to high cost of living vs the pay scale.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
In order to do this, they have to pay ppl better.

Just an example.... Developers are going to be building these apartments (if they're a local developer) and probably paying roughly $35k to $40k to manage construction projects. Way too low.

I dont see much growth in the Asheville area due to high cost of living vs the pay scale.
It depends on the position. I can tell you with authority most developers are not using locals to do the work. The city's requirement make it near impossible to have one journeyman (for electrical for example) per two workers.

Each development will employ at any given time around 120 - 160 people who spend money here on things like restaurants and such. After the places are built there will be 1 employee per 50 units after they're leased up. There's already a shortage of qualified people for these positions and most of the owners/management companies are brining in people from out of state which means they'll have to be paying them in the $20-$25/hr range for managers/service managers just to get them here. We just hired an entry level person for maintenance at one of our properties at $15/hr.

It is true though that many of the established long term properties pay very little and are stuck in the mindset of doing so since they have people there long term. When they go to hire new people they'll be in for a rude awakening.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:01 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
I meant, for example, what builders and general contractors pay their employees in that area. $35k to manage a construction project (which should pay more than double that) is insulting, but ppl in AVL will do it because that's what it pays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina